Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL Electric chainsaw ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭40701085

There are a few good dealers around but also a lot of them are just interested in getting money out of your wallet and into theirs.
    I wouldn't buy from those big stores they will be not much cheaper than a dealer and give as much backup as an Ebay seller.

Stihl look at MS181-211
    Husky 435-440 not the 235 series.

They are much cheaper in the UK.

CJ, how do you rate the Husky 445? Just ordered one with 18" bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

They are a good saw for light general use,limbing etc.
    I would think 18" could be a little long for the saw, can you change it for a 16" The smaller bar would be better but if it is mainly smaller stuff that is being cut then the 18" may save bending over too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭the watchman

The electric saws are in lidl on Thurs. I want to cut new softwood sleepers 8"x4" for garden - very few. I am only hobyist /will rarely use it. So many diff opinons.
    Whos got one and how did they fair with it.
    The kick in it wouldnt worry me now I know its coming. Does it come with a sharpener
    Fingers crossed here (while I still have them lol) for hopefully positive replies.

Answeres before thurs please . Incidently how quickly do they sell out?:confused:
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

I am on my second LIDL chainsaw, the first one I really over-used it. I had a full shed of timber logs to cut up, took a few weeks on and off. In the end, the 1st chainsaw was still cutting away no bother. But the safety cut-off brake on it started to give way, prob from the over-use of it. (When you let go of the power switch, under normal conditions the chain would stop instantly while the electric motor would slow down gradually to a stop).

I brought the chainsaw back to the store with the receipt. I didnt have the original box so I had it in a bin-liner bag. Went to the check-out with it, told the girl I need to return it because the brake was faulty, she didnt even blink, just gave me my money back. When it came out again I bought a new one because I wont be over-using it again so it should last a long time.
    Standar usage will mean you have a three year warranty on it !!!

It will slice thru those railway sleepers no problem. I cut up some serious big logs with it and it didnt seem to have trouble. There is a max rec size on the box so I'd stick to this if I were you all the same.

Mine didnt come with a chain sharpener, but a round file will do the job no problem.

Remember, there is a serious kick out of these chainsaws, its really surprising how powerful it is for an electric chainsaw. Keep the cahin sharp and it cuts just as good as any good petrol chainsaw.

Happy cutting and stay safe.

Thanks for that Alibabba. Perfect detailed answere. I also just happened on a nieghbour this morning who has vast experience of chainsaws and he told me virtually the same, that 'for my particular personal needs' the Lidl electric would be just fine. He also pointed out no petrol cans or mess to store away etc.

So there we have it folks, its horses for courses. Get a mini car instead of a ferari for nipping down to Lidls in. lol lol:D.

Thanks again Ali, I was kinda hoping it was gonna be you replying.
    Cheers.

Ps. I hope I'm still able to type on my keyboard after my use of machine LOL.

• Advertisement

alibabba wrote: »
    Update

I picked up the electric chainsaw in LIDL and have put it to serious work over the last week. I agree with the great advise not to cut using the tip, keeping the log close to base during cut will increase safety.

The chainsaw itself is great, allot of umph n power (2200W). and its great not to have to mess with topping up on petrol all the time and flooding it the odd time. im afraid my petrol chainsaw will stay in the loft for the time been.

Thumps up for this chainsaw for me anyway.
    Hi Alibabba, me again lol.
    I know it's been a while since you got you electric chainsaw but I hope you can remember when you first uesd it.

I did purchased a florabest electric chainsaw from Lidl. Not used it yet but have read manual through twice.
    I have one query. It says to tention chain before first use. And that apart from obtaining the correct gap you should be able to "pull chain around with gloved hand"..
    The next bit might sound stupid, it does not say 'in which direction'. I naturally assumed it was the cutting direction but unless chain is really very/too loose I can't pull it round (in that direction). But I can pull it round 'in reverse so to speak when tention is right judging from the gap.

Am I worrying too much or missing something here.
    Safety first !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I know it's been a while since you got you electric chainsaw but I hope you can remember when you first uesd it.

I did purchased a florabest electric chainsaw from Lidl. Not used it yet but have read manual through twice.
    I have one query. It says to tention chain before first use. And that apart from obtaining the correct gap you should be able to "pull chain around with gloved hand"..
    The next bit might sound stupid, it does not say 'in which direction'. I naturally assumed it was the cutting direction but unless chain is really very/too loose I can't pull it round (in that direction). But I can pull it round 'in reverse so to speak when tention is right judging from the gap.

Safety first !!!!!

If you have the chain too tight you won't be able to pull it round easily. Doesn't matter in which direction.

Safety first !!!!!

Safety first indeed.
    The chain should not be too tight, I had the same problem you describe above with mine, but I found that I had the chain too tight. When tightened, you should be able to pull the chain away from the guide bar a few millimeters, any more than that its too loose. And with the extremely good safety brake inside the chain saw, sometimes its hard to pull the chain thru.

ART6 wrote: »
    If you have the chain too tight you won't be able to pull it round easily. Doesn't matter in which direction.

Yip, I agree.

Well Guys,
    Thanks for comments.
    Gave it a go today. As you can see I still have a few fingers left lol:D.
    After some small test cuts I cut my first sleeper. Very nice:).
    There seems to be a bit of a spray of oil but I think thats probably is usual.

you prob know this already, but you can tweek the amount of oil been discharged.

one other thing i notcied, the chain needs regular sharpening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Has anyone had any trouble with the oil dispenser on the Florabest?

My Dad has one, and the oil isn't coming out. We took it apart, and the mechanism appeared ok. Would the oil type make a difference? I think he was using a mineral based oil SAE 30W, IIRC, so fairly thick (I think). With the chain off, and the motor running, we were able to use positive pressure to suck it up with a syringe to the chain chamber, but it still wouldn't flow after removing the syringe.

Saw is well out of warranty, so can't go that route. Great saw too, has certainly earned it's keep over the past 5 years or so.

tmcw wrote: »
    Has anyone had any trouble with the oil dispenser on the Florabest?

My Dad has one, and the oil isn't coming out. We took it apart, and the mechanism appeared ok. Would the oil type make a difference? I think he was using a mineral based oil SAE 30W, IIRC, so fairly thick (I think). With the chain off, and the motor running, we were able to use positive pressure to suck it up with a syringe to the chain chamber, but it still wouldn't flow after removing the syringe.

Saw is well out of warranty, so can't go that route. Great saw too, has certainly earned it's keep over the past 5 years or so.

You will see from my previous posts that I have a Florabest electric chainsaw about 3 months now. It is my understanding that you should use the special 'chainsaw' oil as this is thinner than normal motor oil. Not saying that this is your problem but its worth thinking about!.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You will see from my previous posts that I have a Florabest electric chainsaw about 3 months now. It is my understanding that you should use the special 'chainsaw' oil as this is thinner than normal motor oil. Not saying that this is your problem but its worth thinking about!.

That is his problem, he needs to use chain saw oil for the reason you stated.

Also, the oil dispenser my possibly be clogged with dust from cutting, but this doesnt usually happen for a good while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

So, ye reckon the oil is too thick? We were thinking that, but didn't have anything else to hand at the time. The same oil works fine in his petrols, but maybe the delivery system is more powerful in those. He tried thinning it down with diesel, but it didn't help (lots of places online say to use 30W though; maybe that's more for petrol saws).

The system is definitely not clogged with dust, as we had the plate under the chain drive open, disconnected all the tubing inside and blew through them all, and primed it with the syringe, so no dust in there, and we now have intimate knowledge on how the dispenser works.

Also, no leaks from any of those connections for the tubing under the plate.

I'll say to him to have a look in the manual, see if it specifies any oil type that should be used, and take it from there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

fergalfrog wrote: »
    If anyone gets that Lidl chainsaw can they post back here on whether or not it's any good. Thanks in advance.

brother has one of them but i seem to have ended up with it.he had no meas on it but i edged it up and its going like a treat.cuts fairly big stuff too but i dont push it or run for a long time.as for safety dont think its not that different to a normal they are all deadly just look at fatality stats for last year 5 people in chainsaw related accidents.i find it handy in the wood shed cause those two strokes can be b**t**ds to keep goin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Sorry to bring this back up - but I have the lidl electric chainsaw - can someone tell me where to get oil? And what weight / mix to get?

(i put the empty bottle & instructions somewhere safe so I could answer this question myself but I cant remember the safe place!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jameshayes wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this back up - but I have the lidl electric chainsaw - can someone tell me where to get oil? And what weight / mix to get?

(i put the empty bottle & instructions somewhere safe so I could answer this question myself but I cant remember the safe place!)
    Go to a lawnmower shop and ask for Chainsaw bar and chain oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JimmyTee

lidl electric chainsaws were out again today, i got one and i must say I was surprised its got loads of torque nothing seem to slow it but maybe thats down to a nice new sharp chain.

The lead is a bit of a pain alright, but i suppose so is messing with 2 stroke and petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

The electric ones are on sale again towards the end of the month in Aldi.
    €69

Ill chance one of these, I'll be just using it for cutting up old pallets in work that I bring home to burn.
    Mate of mine has a Black and Decker one so we'll do a comparison and report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

I bought one last week and so far its been great! cut off a few low hanging branches and chopped up 5-6 barrows of wood from bits lying around. Nice and light compared to a petrol, good long 10M cord too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭GavPJ

JoeySully wrote: »
    I bought one last week and so far its been great! cut off a few low hanging branches and chopped up 5-6 barrows of wood from bits lying around. Nice and light compared to a petrol, good long 10M cord too.

Where did you buy it? Aldi told me they wont be on sale until the 3rd week of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

In Lidl Ballincollig, they were on special offer last Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭agusta

A friend of mine bought a chainsaw in lidl 2 or 3 years ago.he never used it so its still new.if any one is in the limerick area and is interested in it pm me and i can ask him about it.

Hi, its been a while. just used my chainsaw. Its been 8 years since posted here and used the saw. its working just perfect. One small query I have is that in the manual it mentions to turn the oil regulator to zero when storing the chainsaw. I don't see any regulator!
    Model number FKS2200/09

Any thoughts?

thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Hi, its been a while. just used my chainsaw. Its been 8 years since posted here and used the saw. its working just perfect. One small query I have is that in the manual it mentions to turn the oil regulator to zero when storing the chainsaw. I don't see any regulator!
    Model number FKS2200/09

Any thoughts?

thanks.

Oil can drip out of the oil reservoir on any chainsaw when stored so just don't store it full of oil and wrap it up in something that will absorb the oil if it does leak.

thanks my 3 cents for reply.

PS. any mods reading please note I am still not receiving email notifications of replies to my threads/followed threads.
    thanks.

Advertisement