Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

door and frame wanted for camper van

Options
  • 11-03-2009 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Does anyone know where I can get a door and door frame for a '94 Fiat Ducato camper van? It has a Fendt sticker on the body. Not sure if that is relevent. The camper was a present for our 40th wedding anniversary but the door got damaged before we got a chance to take it out! We are in West Cork, Ireland. Please help me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Which door?

one for the cab ...try a Fiat dealer or a scrap yard.

If it's the entrance door for the living quarters, things may get a bit more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 qtmamma

Thank you for answering! I'm so new to this.
    I'm afraid it is the entrance door. Would a scrapped caravan door suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I was looking for stuff for my camper van and found these results on google

http://www.google.com/search?q=caravan+breakers&rls=com.microsoft:*:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7SKPB

most send to ireland aswell

there is also a fendt caravan site from the UK

http://www.fendtcaravansuk.co.uk/

you can ask there probaly. It's a german compagny so they probaly can still get you a new one.

it really depends on what is actually wrong with your door.

The filling is the easy bit ...just some bits of wood, some styrofoam and some aluminium sheeting. Pretty standard and relatively easy to repair (also with donor parts from other vehicles.0

The frame and hinges are a bit more difficult as they vary between manufacturers and not everything is interchangeable.

Thanks, but I'm all googled out. I'm really desperate at this stage. I did try some of those site with no luck.

• Advertisement

Looks like we won't be on the road anytime soon. It's perfectly roadworthy of course, it just looks awful with a crushed door!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Franner

Aaw.. it seems a shame not to use it because of that, if it's roadworthy. People will just assume it got a bash somewhere, which I imagine is reasonably common. Or is it unliveable in?
    If I was you I'd use it and hope you meet someone on the road or at a rally or whereever who can suggest a solution

As long as the door still closes and seals, don't let that keep you from going away ...after all, you will be sitting inside, so you won't see it :D

Plus your next (first?) journey could bring you past an experienced caravsan/camper dealer with a workshop who might just be able to fix that door for you ...

You're right, of course, and my hubby agrees with you, but I am embarrassed to be seen in it. It looks really messy and we've only had it five minutes!. Maybe I'll change my mind when the sun starts to shine.......

Actually, we can't open the door at all, and from the inside we can see the road through the damage. It's really bad. The insurance assessors want us to scrap it but I don't think we could get one as nice or as cheap again. I'd really, really rather repair it

• Advertisement

any chance of a picture?

(not to gloat ...just to offer advice)

Sure, I have a pic but I can't work out how to put it here!! The insert image icon only gives me a url space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

When I was kid on summer holidays with my family a Norwegian boyracer reversed in the side of our caravan at high speed and punched a hole through it and bent the axle as well. After a nice patch of silver gaffa tape over the damage our holiday happily continued.

We ended having a great holidays.

After return to home the caravan got new axle and whole side wall fitted. Compared to this reskinning your damaged door sounds like an easy peasy job.

I'm living in the sticks here in West Cork. Campers are still a novelty! My husband just got off the phone and someone is coming from the city to look at it. It costs 180 euros just to look at it and give an estimate for fixing it. I guess thats why we have insurance...

I feel better since I've shared my problem though so thanks for all your help. Now can you tell me how to upload the pic from my mac?

Does this work? It's supposed to be a pic of the damaged door

http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/attach/jpg.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Good bit of damage there including the hinge. I see there also seems to be a previous repair in that area by the looks of it so dont feel bad about it if somebody previously did something similar.

I am sure someone who knows what they are doing would make short work (but expensive work probably) of it.

I wouldn't be beyond taping it all up for a trip and getting in and out through the cab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

I think a caravan place can get that repaired. It's not to bad. the fram came off 'neatly' of the body. I dont think that beyond repair at all. You can always phone your insurance compagny for addresses of good body shops. I know there is one in mulingar

Yes, we'll take it for little trips around the coast, but not abroad. Not like that.

We'll see what this fellow from Cork city says first. The further we'd have to take it the more expensive it would be, but I wouldn't mind taking a trip yo Mullingar anyway.

I don't mean to unduly alarm you, but if I read that picture correctly, then you have a slightly more pressing issue than just your door.

That damage on the right of the picture, that's not the door but the front edge of the camping bit, right?

If that is the case then you have to protect it from the elements pronto. Otherwise rain will get in, soak the wooden structure, start rot and cause really expensive structural damage.

• Advertisement

We've put some plastic covering on it now. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭boyoh

Hello,calm down now and get a grip. Any self respecting panel beater will have your camper looking good as new in no time.I'm sure you have those in West Cork.:D;)

qtmamma,
    Just been looking at your picture and it looks like a simple job for a panel beater,you've nothing to lose:cool:

Ah now, Boyoh! You'd think so wouldn't you? But methinks the most of 'em don't have VAT numbers because they can't give an official quote for the insurance company!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

peasant wrote: »
    I don't mean to unduly alarm you, but if I read that picture correctly, then you have a slightly more pressing issue than just your door.

That damage on the right of the picture, that's not the door but the front edge of the camping bit, right?

If that is the case then you have to protect it from the elements pronto. Otherwise rain will get in, soak the wooden structure, start rot and cause really expensive structural damage.

I had a look at the photo again. It looks like soft (rotten) wood poking out at the corner on the RH side of the photo. You need to get somebody who knows what they are doing or the results could be less than desirable. Trims and moldings will be hard to get/repair and the metal skin will be tricky to get back into shape. You need somebody who will be good technically and cosmetically.

Thats the problem. But I have hope at the moment. I have to wait till Sat. when the city guy comes to have a look. Meanwhile the insurance assessors are looking for repair places also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

My father does campervan maintenance and repairs. He's based in North-west Cork. PM sent with details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jmu

qtmamma wrote: »
    I'm living in the sticks here in West Cork. Campers are still a novelty! My husband just got off the phone and someone is coming from the city to look at it. It costs 180 euros just to look at it and give an estimate for fixing it. I guess thats why we have insurance...

I feel better since I've shared my problem though so thanks for all your help. Now can you tell me how to upload the pic from my mac?
    Another option is to consider fitting a slightly wider door, assuming the door inside has room to fit something wider with no units or cabinets right up against the door. With the wider door you'll need the door surround and locking mechanism. I've known fellas with much the same problems, and they resort to replacing the damaged door with a caravan door of similar size. Its an option, but not everyones cup of tea. Take care,jmu

;)Hi "East Coast Campers" in Wicklow do repairs,i'm sure there are others,but you could have a nice drive to Wicklow and get a feel for the van,cover the hole('s) with gaffer tape until you get it sorted.Soon this will just seem like a small bit of teething trouble, if the cost is not too high i would avoid involving the insurance company,but then what do i know. Good luck:):D

• Advertisement

Thank you to everyone for all your help and suggestions! I finally located a new door and frame at Anchorpointmoterhomes in Tipperary. I got a local panel beater to fix it all up and it is looking magnificent! Best of all the insurance is paying for all of it!! Happy motoring to everyone out there

Advertisement