Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls and Beer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Lets hope he never has to see me drink my cans of Tuborg!

If it was me I'd appreciate your taste in beer ;) And oddly enough, I don't actually see cans as that bad. Prefer a can to seeing a girl drink a pint. hard to explain. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

prinz wrote: »
    If it was me I'd appreciate your taste in beer ;) And oddly enough, I don't actually see cans as that bad. Prefer a can to seeing a girl drink a pint. hard to explain. :confused:

no - actually it's easy to explain; you have outdated preconceived notions of what is attractive in a woman! Not your fault how you feel of course - but that doesn't change what it is.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

The first time he mentioned it it was in passing nothing to hectic.Then the other day he was like "ehh thats such a turn off"...I in turn told him that I would drink pints no matter what to which he agreed. (I'm a bit stubborn when it comes to men making comments on my habits)
    What's he's comfortable with is really his business, just as what you're comfortable with is yours. Either the gap is too great to bridge or it's not.

I would have said that he really has to transition to the modern World until I read this rather good point:
    AARRRGH wrote: »
    OP: If he only drank girly drinks, say strawberry daiquiris or bacardi and diet coke, would it bother you at all? Just curious.
    And this is the thing, women do apply similar gender stereotypes to men, that are just as silly as the one being applied to the OP.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Well the simple compromise that I've seen done plenty of times is to order a pint as well as an empty half pint glass and pour the beer into it. That way you don't get screwed for the ridiculous prices they charge for a glass of beer, you still have your full pint and your boyfriend's sensibilities aren't offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zaph wrote: »
    Well the simple compromise that I've seen done plenty of times is to order a pint as well as an empty half pint glass and pour the beer into it. That way you don't get screwed for the ridiculous prices they charge for a glass of beer, you still have your full pint and your boyfriend's sensibilities aren't offended.

Can't be doing that to Guinness, that would be blasphemous.

• Advertisement

jim o doom wrote: »
    no - actually it's easy to explain; you have outdated preconceived notions of what is attractive in a woman! Not your fault how you feel of course - but that doesn't change what it is.. :)

Sorry I didn't realise it was outdated to have some respect for myself and the people in my company. Some of us evolved and some want to go back to being mucksavages obviously. There's nothing outdated in displaying common courtesy and good manners. If more people would do the same you would see both self-repect and respect for others increase and anti-social behaviour and crime decrease. Frankly I would hold the door open for anyone male or female, and try my best to behave with some sort of decorum. What I find attractive in a woman is not outdated nor preconceived thanks.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Can't be doing that to Guinness, that would be blasphemous.

True, and I would never suggest such a thing. Please disregard my above comments if you're a Guinness drinker!

Honestly, I can't see what the fuss is all about. Liquids, by their very nature, need to be in some form of container. So what if that container is a pint instead of a half pint, I can't see how sometyhing so trivial can upset someone. There are far more important things in life to be worrying about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here,

Well i used to go out with a guy who hated beer and would only drink Vodka and coke.Always funny when a barman brought over our drinks and placed them in front of the wrong party...That in itself shows how people associate different genders with different drinks.

No.To be honest it would not bother me in the slightest..maybe thats because I know he definately wouldnt be the type to order a girly cocktail.

I suppose what I am bascially wondering is "do women drinking pints turn off men?" and if so why?It might help me understand why my bf dislikes it so much.

As a response to the other poster....I drink pints because I like drinking pints.Nothing got to do with being "one of the lads" or "trying to keep up".I just like them...end of!! I would have to go to the bar twice as much if I drank bottles or glasses. In saying that I would only drink pints normally in a local pub or on a quiet night out..they become a pain in the a** to hold in a busy club or pub on a saturday night!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

"do women drinking pints turn off men?"

I prefer girls who drink pints. Makes it more simple when I order a pint for myself. :)

and if so why?

He could be the type of guy who doesn't think about things, e.g. why do I dislike girls drinking pints?

There are lots of people out there like that. They just think and live their life the way they were brought up.

I prefer girls who drink pints. Makes it more simple when I order a pint for myself. :)

He could be the type of guy who doesn't think about things, e.g. why do I dislike girls drinking pints?

There are lots of people out there like that. They just think and live their life the way they were brought up.

Excuse me? Just because girls drinking pints turns him off he now cant think for himself? Like I said I dont mind if my gf drinks pints now and again, reason being its easier to order two pints like you said, on the other hand if i was single it would be something I would notice pretty quickly and it would make me think. Not because I can't think for myself. I do a lot of thinking, maybe THATS the problem. It gives me the wrong first impression.

• Advertisement

No.To be honest it would not bother me in the slightest..maybe thats because I know he definately wouldnt be the type to order a girly cocktail.

Why, are cocktails girly now? Having had nights out doing stupid things with mates such as ordering the stupidest and 'girliest' drinks we could think of... I can say that more remarks were passed by girls. On top of that a number of nights spent drinking non-alcoholic drinks made me the butt of many a joke about not being man enough etc etc, again for the most part from girls.

Excuse me? Just because girls drinking pints turns him off he now cant think for himself?

That's not what I said.

I said "He could be the type of guy who doesn't think about things, e.g. why do I dislike girls drinking pints?"

I think most people would agree it makes no sense to get turned off women who drink from a big glass, so he probably hasn't really questioned his feelings.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I drink pints because they taste damn good. Nothing better than sitting in a beer garden in the summer with a pint. Another reason I drink them is because it's more economical. I drink spirits very fast, so I'd probably drink two spirits in the time it takes me to drink one pint. A pint = €4.50, spirit + mixer = €5.50, so why would I spend €11 on vodka when I can just have a pint? Not to mention, bottles of beer also cost €4.50. I'm a student with no income, I'm going to drink the cheapest thing I can. I rarely drink more than 4 pints in a night, which gives me change from €20.

Honestly, any guy who had a problem with that can shag off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

Ok I think the question was it it attractive or not. Wether the guy has a major issue with it or not is irrelevant (clearly he doesn't, hasn't dumped op because of it). So lets leave out the economies of scale etc and answer the question

Is farting attractive? No but you are not necessarily going to dump someone because they do it.

Is a man drinking a strawberry daquiri attractive? IMO no, wouldn't dump him for that either.

Is a women drinking a pint attractive? IMO no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Oh The Humanity

I drink pints and so do all my female friends and always have. I also play pool and darts and enjoy a bet on the horses if the mood so takes me.

I would laugh in the face of any bloke that expected me to start fiddling about with half pints and uneconomical bottles just for appearances.

I'd view a man that is turned off by a woman drinking a pint as being weak and overly concerned with appearances. Its a right turn off. Who wants to date Hyacinth Bucket....?

I wouldn't pay a blind bit of notice to him OP. If laughing in his face doesn't get the message accross then tell him to get the boat.

This is 2009 ffs not 1909.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭bicardi19

OP here,

I suppose what I am bascially wondering is "do women drinking pints turn off men?" and if so why?It might help me understand why my bf dislikes it so much.

Op in answer to your question, I think it is quite clear to see that there are some men who have a problem with this.
    I hear you when you say about drinking in clubs and that. Usually Ill just go to the pub and order a pint to start. It really does quench a thirst. Then move on to something else as I personally find there is only so much beer you can drink.
    If someone comes in and sees me drinking that pint are they going to generalise and think Im a chavvy ladette as a few previous posters have hinted at.
    And what do they think when they see me sipping on a gin and tonic half an hour later. Do I suddenly turn into a completely different person because of the glass Im holding in my hand.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I have no problem drinking pints in a pub,I love drinking pints. It makes more sense to me to drink pints but this new guy says its very unlady like an finds it a turn off?

ffs.
    Seriously, why didn't you put him straight there and then.
    Anyone who had the balls to say such a thing to my face would spend the next 30mins getting an earful.
    Unlady like my arse.

I think most people would agree it makes no sense to get turned off women who drink from a big glass, so he probably hasn't really questioned his feelings.

What a random inference to draw. People get turned off by lots of things, that doesnt mean they havent questioned anything. I get turned off by a girl cursing like a sailor, or smoking. Does that mean I havent questioned my feelings. What a ridiculous thing to say. If it turns him off it turns him off end of.It turns me off. Im not going to dump a girl over it but it turns me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

I think half pints look daft to be honest. Why inconvenience yourself having to go to the bar twice for two halves just to please some fussy dude? :D

I must admit though, I do feel more attractive with a glass of wine in my hand but at the end of the night, wine makes me TEN times more unattractive than beer ever would! :D

bubblewrap wrote: »
    I think half pints look daft to be honest. Why inconvenience yourself having to go to the bar twice for two halves just to please some fussy dude? ! :D

why would you feel the need to drink two halves? Thats more of the 'i can drink like the boys can attitude', I couldnt care less how much a girl drinks as long as shes not making a tool of herself, but that attitude of 'o no i now have to go to the bar twice as often' :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭puglover

bubblewrap wrote: »
    I think half pints look daft to be honest. Why inconvenience yourself having to go to the bar twice for two halves just to please some fussy dude? :D

Why do they look daft?? And who said people drink them to please men? Why not just order a bucket of beer or better still stick your head under the tap altogether? Then you'll have to make even less trips to the bar. A glass does me as long as a pint would do most people. If I ordered a pint it would be dead by the time I got half way through!!

Beruthiel wrote: »
    ffs.
    Seriously, why didn't you put him straight there and then.
    Anyone who had the balls to say such a thing to my face would spend the next 30mins getting an earful.
    Unlady like my arse.

I presume you would expect the same response if you had an issue with a man leaving dirty clothes on the floor, wet towels on the floor etc, toe nail clippings around...

The man just pointed out that he found it a turn off, its called communication. He spoke his mind, fair play to him. He didnt leave / dump her / forbid her from drinking pints. You'd swear by the girls on this thread he'd just announced he was a paid up member of the Taliban Irish Branch.

I wouldn't pay a blind bit of notice to him OP. If laughing in his face doesn't get the message accross then tell him to get the boat.

This is 2009 ffs not 1909.

so dumping a man because he finds something a turn off is ok, but him expressing an opinion isn't....... now FFS

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The man just pointed out that he found it a turn off, its called communication.

It's not communication, it's chauvinism, I have no time for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭ellie1

I would prefer to drink a half pint but saying that when I am broke or during my college years, it was pints all the way.. Lately, I am still broke so its back on the pints ( 4 at most is all i can handle so its 20euro, deadly!) or a bottle of vodka in my hanbag....hahaha! Does that make me chavvy in some peoples eyes, if it does I couldnt care less as their opinion dont mean much to me!!!

I did when younger have a boyfriend who didnt like me having a pint for the same reason as yours however I did it when he wasnt there, he turned out to be very pass remarkable on everything i did and ultimately quite controlling and abusive.

I suggest you tell him you dont think its manly for a man to drink anything other than a two pints a night therefore making him as paranoid and uncomfortable as you are feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭bubblewrap

My take on it is, regularly after work, me and my bf will decide to go for a couple of drinks, he would be getting 2 pints whereas I would have to go to the bar 4 times for the same and it seems pretty daft. Saying that, my bf doesn't mind the pint thing. I can't honestly remember when someone last commented on that, loads of women do it and it isn't to keep up with the men. Maybe they just fancy a pint instead of half. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Polleta

I drink pints of Guinness.. I'm sure that's probably the least girlie drink. Though I have to admit I prefer a glass due to holding its temperature over the length of the drink.

When I'm out with the lads from work I drink pints of Carlsberg or shandies and I've no problem with it. Would be odder for me to have a glass of lager!

I don't think it makes me any less of a lady(though granted I too am a tom boy).

I wouldn't be too happy with a guy wanting me to stop anything for him.. Let him deal with it he'll get over it eventually!

I don't even think we need to call it chauvinism. "Retarded" would be a better word.

Eh words fail me..... Have you never told a partner that something they do/ have done is a turn off? My gf has pointed out things to me, I've done the same to her. That's how we get to know each other, and our likes and dislikes...

Chauvinism?? WTF

All of yous must be perfect and have no faults whatsoever. I find tattoos a turn off. It's personal opinion, if my gf wanted to get a tattoo I'd make her aware of that. Maybe she'd go ahead anyway, maybe she wouldn't. That's her business, not mine. However i am still free to tell her that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Seeing a girl drinking a pint is like seeing a girl punch someone in the face. Hot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement