Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G/HSPA Routers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

M5 wrote: »
    Any ideas?
    What provider are you with?

Just an update on the Edimax nLite 3G-6200n router :

It's been working good since I was last on here.. I find that every so often you need to plug out the router and plug it back in ... it seems that if the USB Huawei E160G loses signal , it takes a reboot for it to reinitialize and reconnect to the 3G network.. It doesnt seem to automatically re-connect after having a minor outage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

What provider are you with?

Just an update on the Edimax nLite 3G-6200n router :

It's been working good since I was last on here.. I find that every so often you need to plug out the router and plug it back in ... it seems that if the USB Huawei E160G loses signal , it takes a reboot for it to reinitialize and reconnect to the 3G network.. It doesnt seem to automatically re-connect after having a minor outage.

Would you beleive when i removed the pin from the sim it worked fine. For some reason the router was not delivering the pin correctly to the modem.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Always use the PC utility to disable PIN use on any Mobile Modem SIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Roscoboyle

Is it possible to configure my wireless router D-Link (DIR 635) to route my new Huawei E122 modem dongle (3 network) wirelessly in the house? The router does have a usb port, but it's probably not originally intended for a 3g modem.
    If the configuration is possible then what are the (baby) steps I need to take? (You can safely presume a high level of ignorance on my part.) Thanks for any replies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

I don't know myself but I use this site for technical questions like that - http://www.protonic.com. You have to register but it is safe to do so. It's free - just a group of IT guys offering their time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

I think I'm getting fatigue from trying to find the pieces that are compatible together and available to buy and not too expensive. Really really hoping someone knows of the following:

- 3G router
    - Takes a data card or has built in modem
    - If a data card, please recommend one. Can't even find the E600 on ebay!
    - Works on 3
    - Is not a USB device. So tired of crashy USB modems
    - connector for external antenna to boost hdspa reception

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 jimbuckleybarre

Hi,

Have a look at

http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/dovado.php
    http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/antenna1.php

I had it for over a year with Three - has a nice feature of rebooting the USB 3G modem if it can't get a signal and then after 3 attempts reboots itself. I used the E180 I believe - the high speed modem at the time from Three.

It's not the cheapest router out there but I tried a few others including Edimax and Three's own wireless router and they were crap! This worked perfectly. Also has extra automated features - switching on lights at home etc.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Duckytech

Hi,

Have a look at

http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/dovado.php
    http://www.commsoft.ie/shop/antenna1.php

I had it for over a year with Three - has a nice feature of rebooting the USB 3G modem if it can't get a signal and then after 3 attempts reboots itself. I used the E180 I believe - the high speed modem at the time from Three.

It's not the cheapest router out there but I tried a few others including Edimax and Three's own wireless router and they were crap! This worked perfectly. Also has extra automated features - switching on lights at home etc.

Best of luck.

+1 for Dovado.
    Nice reset feature as mentioned. Got the 4Gn Router for Vodafone dongle and havn't had any trouble since. Pricey as mentioned, but i reckon its worth it...for peace of mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 wohlgetan

Duckytech wrote: »
    +1 for Dovado.
    Nice reset feature as mentioned. Got the 4Gn Router for Vodafone dongle and havn't had any trouble since. Pricey as mentioned, but i reckon its worth it...for peace of mind!

Hi!

thanks for the suggestions, I tried the Globesurfer III from O2 and it only fried the inital sim-card over a weekend but I wasn't satisfied with the 3G reception and the wifi reception inside the house either. Both the 3GN and of course the 4GN with their external wifi antennas will probably do a much better job, do they?

And since I don't want to apply for an 18 month contract the Globesurfer will cost 129 Euro, in this case I'm far better of with the 3GN.

I wonder which USB modem you would suggest, O2 is currently offering from Huawei the E1752c and E1752 and from Sierra Wireless the 888 and the 302. From general comparision I see no big difference, so why are they ranging from 39 to 99 Euros?

Thanks in advance, wohlgetan

PS: FYI The setting I bear in mind is replacing the landline by a 3G router and a combination of Skype-in and Skype-out. So far I've combined the Globesurfer with a RTX Dualphone 3088 which supports Skype without a PC and works with dect, just attach it to a Ethernet port.

In this combination I pay 5.99 Euro per month for an europe wide landline flat with skype-out and additional 3.35 Euro per month for a irish skype-in landline number (021...). And the rate for calling irish mobiles is about 17.5 cent (netto, plus VAT). Add to that a 19.99 Euro PAYG or Bill Pay rate und thats it.

If you don't need braodband and you can live with midband, it pays itself in the first six month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Hello.

After some research from the guys on the Midband forum I need a router. I am with 3 using the e122 modem.

The Router will be upstairs and I will be using the laptop downstairs. Whats the best router for picking up signal and giving it out. Price dont matter as I need good broadband.

If I changed my modem would that be better again as in the usb. Would a newer modem work better.

Anyway thanks lads.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭hurling_lad

I've just ordered this Tp-Link TL-MR3420 after discounting the Dovado option due to price.

Seems to be compatible with the varous Three modems - will get back to you here when I take delivery and get going with it.

Ideally, I'd like to use this with a VoIP phone and get rid of my fixed line, but it would have to be very stable if I'm to convince the OH that it's a goer - does anyone think that this is realistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Ideally, I'd like to use this with a VoIP phone and get rid of my fixed line, but it would have to be very stable if I'm to convince the OH that it's a goer - does anyone think that this is realistic?

It's not a goer at all.
    I had the exact same plan. My 3 NBS with a 3G router on all the time and get blueface and those voip handsets.

The snags I hit:
    1. The USB sticks crash often needing a full power cycle of whatever router you have. It's a pain in the butt and the only 3G routers I've found that can actually power cycle the USB modems are many many hundreds of euro. No good if your router/modem crashes during the night and you don't realist it till later.

2. Latency is REALLY erratic. Skype usually works well apart from the odd glitch here and there. Everything else works often but not all the time.

I tried it for a month making all my outbound calls using various services like skype and blueface. People were CONSTANTLY asking me to repeat myself.

I left a ping running against blueface's voip gateway every second and usually see 68ms and then thirty seconds later a few missed responses, then perhaps around 2000ms for a few more seconds and then anything between 68 and 400ms. All within a few minutes of eachother. Latency is so erratic over 3G.

I tried playing with forcing different codecs on my softphone. G.729 worked the best for me with crappy latency but it was still so frustrating I had to stop my VOIP tests.

3. That was when 3NBS was good in my area. I'd get 4-5mbit down and 1-2 mbit up. Three went on a mega sales blitz in my area. Signs up along the roads everywhere, posters everywhere, door to door sales. The service has gone to crap now. You too will be bitten by that at some point.

That's my experience.

A blueface account is free, top it up with a couple of euro and get a free softphone and play around for yourself, but make sure to keep trying it because it turned to crap during the important phone calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac 79

is there any router that will take a sim card and skip the dongle bit. the reason i ask is that i dont have a dongle, just the Huawei E5830 mifi which drops connection or wifi whenever it feels like it, unpredicable for long downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭daithi2011

Mac 79 wrote: »
    is there any router that will take a sim card and skip the dongle bit. the reason i ask is that i dont have a dongle, just the Huawei E5830 mifi which drops connection or wifi whenever it feels like it, unpredicable for long downloads.

Good question. Id like to see if there is one with an antenna for the one of these too. Just pop in the sim and it uses the antenna on the router, would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭treatyman

Just to give my two cents.. On the advice given here, I bought an

Edimax nLite 3G-6200n router
    741127787_125.jpg

from Peats (Newbridge) for 79 euros. Brought it home, hooked it up with LAN cable and my Huawei E160G (I'm on the 20 euro a month package with Three). Hopped on to the router (192.168.2.1) and configured the WAN | 3G/3.5G settings to the following:

edimax_nlite_3g_6200n_settings.jpg

3G Internet came up straight away, and I could see the IP address / subnet mask etc etc of the Three network (indicating it had connected)..

Very easy setup, very cheap, nice looking router. So far, so good.

I have the exact same setup and for the life of me I cannot get it working. The dongle has flashing blue light, the 3G light is blue on the router, still won't connect. I go to the router setup page (see pics) and connect and no go. I also tried 3ireland.ie for APN, without *99#, every combination and still can't connect.
    I updated the firmware to v2.20 also...

The 3 dongle works perfect in the USB port on laptop by the way..

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Has anyone used this TP-Link TL-MR3420?
    Seems to support a good few modems and is pretty cheap.
    I want to connect a satellite box up to the web, would it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Foxindbox

Hi Guys,

I'm new to boards so apologies in advance if i've posted in the wrong thread. I've just bought a solwise NET-3G-3G11nMRW http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-3g11nmrw.htm

I have a Huawei e122 modem for 3 ireland which I can't get to work with the router.

I've configure the APN as per 3ireland instructions

APN: 3ireland.ie
    phone number: *99#

The router can see the modem yet the blue light keeps flashing on the modem. Solwise aren't giving me any joy and 3 are also refusing to help. I was wondering if any of you had any advice. Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭alejandro1977

daithi2011 wrote: »
    Good question. Id like to see if there is one with an antenna for the one of these too. Just pop in the sim and it uses the antenna on the router, would be great.

Three have the b260a - heard good things- and 02 have something similar; I'm trying to get one of these unlocked etc- I'm not in Ireland but it's impossible to get one at a reasonable price

http://www.o2online.ie/o2/shop/broadband/detail.php?pid=82
    http://three.ie/products_services/broadband/router.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kenaghcomputers

Foxindbox wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to boards so apologies in advance if i've posted in the wrong thread. I've just bought a solwise NET-3G-3G11nMRW http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-routers-3g11nmrw.htm

I have a Huawei e122 modem for 3 ireland which I can't get to work with the router.

I've configure the APN as per 3ireland instructions

APN: 3ireland.ie
    phone number: *99#

The router can see the modem yet the blue light keeps flashing on the modem. Solwise aren't giving me any joy and 3 are also refusing to help. I was wondering if any of you had any advice. Cheers guys.

same problem as above ... from what i have learnt the e122 is not compatible with this router as it is not compatible with the edimax 3g-6200n either ....i have yet to find a firmware / software upgrade to solve this problem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

Three have the b260a - heard good things- .....

Where?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Foxindbox

same problem as above ... from what i have learnt the e122 is not compatible with this router as it is not compatible with the edimax 3g-6200n either ....i have yet to find a firmware / software upgrade to solve this problem

Solwise actually confirmed that the issue was firmware and send me a beta update. I upgraded the router and it worked, so I would recommend getting in contact with the manufacturer of your router and ask them if there's a firmware upgrade as this can be the only problem if you have the APN settings correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Hey, I reset the router (Huawei B260A) recently and I have to enable the password protection again, how I do I go about doing this? I've looked around in the router homepage but can't figure it out. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 traxx711

Hello everyone, im new to Boards.ie :)

Im concidering purchacing 3G wireless broadband for 20 euro per month for the 25GB limit.

Im currently living in the North West region of Donegal in a 3 bedroom Mobile home. If anyone can help me as to give advice on what i would need to set up an internet connection. I can barely recieve a connention for my mobile phone (o2) so this had led me to worry about my Internet connection. I would like to have a broadband router as i will be connecting a laptop,PS3 and Wii. Will i require some kind of external antena if my connection isnt great? Any Help would be great.

seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 16 markygoods

EAFC_rdfl wrote: »
    cheers for the response watty. Here's the exact model's website:
    http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/productrb1132o_35g.htm
    and heres a list of supported modems from the FAQ:
    http://www.sapido.com.tw/EN/faq/solution-210.htm

the E122 isnt listed there, so I guess I might as well return it, and try out one of those you mention that does support the E122.

For now, when I connect the modem into the router, the blue light just flashes and never goes constant. I can connect to the router no bother, but no connection onwards from the router. Ive been through the set-up a few times and I think I have everything configured right (APN etc), so I think I'll give up!

Hi,
    I know this is a bit late in the day for you but I have the E122 modem with 3 mobile broadband and I bought the Sapido RB1132 router without checking the modem support list, I know, silly wasnt I, but......in Jan 2011 Sapido updated the firmware to include the E122 so I stuck my usb dongle into the router and hooray it works brilliantly, I've had it on 24/7 for a month now and have to say I'm mightly impressed. My son plays online with his ps3 while I stream footie matches at the same time with no problems at all. There are also 2 iphones and a psp leaching from the router with no bother. I have noticed on a couple of occasions for whatever reason that the modem stops working/freezes/crashes....whatever you want to call it but within 30 seconds the router re-boots it and it re-connects. Now I was previosly 3 customer a few years back when mobile broadband first came on the scene, I had a PCMCIA modem from 3 that worked great for the first few weeks but the more people that signed up, the slower the connection got. I had alot of trouble with them before finaly being released from the contact vowing never to go near 3ireland again. However a few months back a neighbour informed me that he had signed up with 3 for mobile broadband and it had been working fine, so I took the plunge again and have to say I have no probs this time around. fingers crossed everything stays the way it is, I dont think I could handle calling them call centers in Mumbai again.

traxx711 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, im new to Boards.ie :)

Im concidering purchacing 3G wireless broadband for 20 euro per month for the 25GB limit.

Im currently living in the North West region of Donegal in a 3 bedroom Mobile home. If anyone can help me as to give advice on what i would need to set up an internet connection. I can barely recieve a connention for my mobile phone (o2) so this had led me to worry about my Internet connection. I would like to have a broadband router as i will be connecting a laptop,PS3 and Wii. Will i require some kind of external antena if my connection isnt great? Any Help would be great.

seamus

Hi Seamus,
    My advice would be to get the modem from 3, bring it home and see how it works on your laptop. If it doesnt perform well during peak hours i.e from 6-9 in the evening( go to speedtest.net and check connection speed- you will need at least 1m download and 300k upload to play online) then avail of the 14 day return option at no cost to you. your contract will be cancelled.
    If it does peform well then try the Sapido RB1132 router, You can get this on E-Bay for about 50 quid. I am currently using this with the Huawei E122 modem from 3ireland and all works very well. If they give you a different modem to the E122,you will have to check the Sapido modem support list to see if its there.
    hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

HI everyone..

Im a 3mobile broadband user with huawei E122 at the moment but I want to get router. and I was thinking of Huawei router. Would anyone tell me are these any good
    1.Huawei Echolife HG520b Wireless G ADSL2+ Router
    2. Huawei B 260HSUPA/HSDPA/WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
    EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz , Up to 7.2 Mbps(DL) / 5.7
    3. HUAWEI ECHOLIFE HG521
    4. or 3mobile wireless router (any good)?

or any other good reliable router?

Cheers

ani_mal wrote: »
    HI everyone..

Im a 3mobile broadband user with huawei E122 at the moment but I want to get router. and I was thinking of Huawei router. Would anyone tell me are these any good
    1.Huawei Echolife HG520b Wireless G ADSL2+ Router
    2. Huawei B 260HSUPA/HSDPA/WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100MHz
    EDGE/GPRS/GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz , Up to 7.2 Mbps(DL) / 5.7
    3. HUAWEI ECHOLIFE HG521
    4. or 3mobile wireless router (any good)?

or any other good reliable router?

Cheers
    Sapido RB-1132 as detailed in above posts, don't know anything about Huawei routers but heard that the 3mobile wireless router ain't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭ani_mal

I can find this one RB-1132 on eBay, only in USA maybe.. no use.. any ideas where to get this one?

thx

ani_mal wrote: »
    I can find this one RB-1132 on eBay, only in USA maybe.. no use.. any ideas where to get this one?

thx

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-Wireless-N-WiFi-Mobile-Travel-Router-USB-3G-3-5G-/290493401527?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a2c189b7

This is what ur looking for, comes from Hong Kong via Bristol, Got mine in 5 days from purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ralphie

markygoods wrote: »
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Mini-Wireless-N-WiFi-Mobile-Travel-Router-USB-3G-3-5G-/290493401527?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item43a2c189b7

This is what ur looking for, comes from Hong Kong via Bristol, Got mine in 5 days from purchase.

Does this reboot itself if it crashes.
    How good is it at picking up signal by comparison to the ones with an outer antenna.

Advertisement