Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using my Irish language name

Options
  • 06-03-2009 11:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Guys not sure if this is the right section or not.

I want to start using the Irish version of my surname. I've spoken to the passport office and they have said you need to prove you've been using it for 2 years, but i can't get any other documentation without photographic identification so it seems like a catch 22. they have said that if i could show some correspondence under section 10.5 it may be possible to get one. thing is I've only considered switching my name recently.

deed poll said i don't need to go down that route as i have a constitutional right, but the passport office disagree, saying there is nothing in the constitution to say that.

anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭Locamon

You should be able to open a new bank account with your Irish name as long as it is linked to your name in English, or alternatively you should be able to change the name on your bank account to your Irish name (again they will keep both names on their system). Basically this should allow you to receive your next statement addressed to your Irish name giving you the document you need to go to the passport office with. This is how it used to work years ago as it is how I opened my first account but it might have changed now due to money laundering laws.
    Have you thought about changing the name on your driving licence might be easier to start there, in fairness to the passport office it sounds like you are looking to change your name on your current passport which is bound to be more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

See I'm thinking of moving abroad and prefer my Irish surname to be honest, i don't mind surrendering my old passport or even having my English name noted on it some place. just have a preference to use the Irish version. must be the old age seeping into the bones.

in relation to the driver's license I've written to the motor tax office in relation to it and am waiting their reply. i tried before by filling out my name and signing it in Irish but it came back to me in English :rolleyes: coz my previous one was in English

didn't know you could do that with the bank I'll talk to them that might make the matter easier. I've also written to the admissions office in College to ask them coz I'm due to graduate in July so they may be able to help. they suggested i speak to the Senior lecturer for my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Red tape I think...

Is there any goverment funded institution for re-vitalization of Irish language? I think you should seek advice there as well, after all both languages are equal and if you know Irish fluently, don't hesitate to use it in correspondence or during your visits in the offices.

That'll teach them ;)

But I can see where they are coming from. I think that they are trying to separate 'native' Irish speakers from the rest of the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

I am trying to do the same thing as you. I havent really contacted anyone yet though.

I started this thread yesterday though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055504873

Might be of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I know a guy from Albania who changed his name from what sounded muslim to Irish when he got citizenship. I don't know if it was a direct translation,his old forname was ismet, I wont say what his new Irish name is. I have no idea how or why he did it, because his English is rather poor and his Irish non existant.

• Advertisement

Deedsie wrote: »
    I am trying to do the same thing as you. I havent really contacted anyone yet though.

I started this thread yesterday though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055504873

Might be of interest to you.

that's what got me started on it LOL I liven in Germany 15 years ago with my brother and he had adopted the native language version of his name so did I so as to not confuse anyone. but I never changed any documents over.

the good news is the college will let me switch over IF i can provide supporting documentation, which i can't BUT i can get my drivers license replaced. i got a mail from them today about it. my mail is down at the minute I'll get the infor and post here for you later today

ok response from dublincity.ie

You should return your current licence to this office together with completed form D401 and 2 passport-type photos signed on the reverse side and a replacement licence free of charged will be issued with the irish version of your name. Form D401 can be obtained for any garda station or your local library

which means with this document i should get a passport reissued in my irish name and also any bank accounts etc.

Advertisement