Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legally Changing Your Name

Options
  • 05-03-2009 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was wondering in Ireland is it legal to change your name? As in if you wanted your official name to be the Irish translation of your birth name.

Just curious, someone might know something about it.

Didnt really know where to post this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

A mate of mine done it to try get back into Australia under his new name, needless to say it didn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Thats quality, shame it didnt work. Would have been a great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Max Powerrrrr
    He's the man with the name youd love to touch
    ...but your musn't touuch
    His name sounds good in your ear
    But when you hear it, you musn't fear.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

A mate of mine done it to try get back into Australia under his new name, needless to say it didn't work
    Did your mate some how manage to get banned from a continent?

Also OP, just use the Irish translation regardless of whether it's official or not. I sign all kinds of crap with my Irish name and I don't think it matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,866 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ass wrote: »

Also OP, just use the Irish translation regardless of whether it's official or not. I sign all kinds of crap with my Irish name and I don't think it matters.
    Yea he overstayed his visa there and was banned from returning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

Im thinking of doing this myself,I want my name to translated to the as Gaelige,and my childs

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing this myself,I want my name to translated to the as Gaelige,and my childs
    It's a good way to get your kid beaten up. I'm sure your kid will thank you for it though.

I do all my personal mail with my Irish name and address. But for things like banking and insurance etc i use my birth name and English address. I would love to have my passport in Irish.

First time i used my address in Irish post person hadnt a clue where it was for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yes, you can.. You can use your Irish name on your passport and such. Some of my letters come in as my Irish name, others as my English name.. Depending on what I use to register.

You can use a deed poll to officially change it. Details are on here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/birth-family-relationships/problems-in-marriages-and-relationships/changing_your_name_by_deed_poll

It's a good way to get your kid beaten up. I'm sure your kid will thank you for it though.

My son wont be beaten up,especially if its over his Irish,if a gang of little west brits give him grief over his name which is Irish,he'll be doing the beating!

• Advertisement

My son wont be beaten up,especially if its over his Irish,if a gang of little west brits give him grief over his name which is Irish,he'll be doing the beating!

That's the spirit! :D

he'll be doing the beating!
    In his celtic football jersey.

With anto and deco on the way as back up

in a tinted window civic

Dublin or Bohemians jersey,aawww he'll look so cute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

... except "west Brit" means something a bit more specific than someone who ridicules Irish.

You can change your name by deed poll... Deedsie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I sign all kinds of crap with my Irish name and I don't think it matters.

So why isnt your username "Thóin"?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Princessa Conseula Banannahammock...
    Crap Bag...
    Max Power...

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I've been trying to get an Asian friend of mine to change his name to Paddy Fields for ages but he wont do it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭UnderpantsGnome

Deedsie wrote: »
    Hi,

I was wondering in Ireland is it legal to change your name? As in if you wanted your official name to be the Irish translation of your birth name.

Just curious, someone might know something about it.

Didnt really know where to post this.

Hi Deedsie, you don't need to chage your name name legally in order to use the Irish form of your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Perhaps we should ALL change our names to Stephen. Just for giggles. A nation, some ex-pats, a few of them foreigner types and one recession all called Stephen.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I await the PI thread of "My son hates his name, what do i do?"

also ProTip: If your son gets beaten for his name it's not because the other kids are 'west brits', it's because he has a stupid name. Children are delightfully honest and brutal in this regard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Max Powerrrrr

Actually know a guy called Max Power, it's his real name.

also ProTip: If your son gets beaten for his name it's not because the other kids are 'west brits', it's because he has a stupid name. Children are delightfully honest and brutal in this regard.

No, it's because they are scumbags. If someone get's beaten up for their name, then it doesn't say much for the people beating them up. West-brit fits the boot here just fine.

So because my son has a name thats native to the country he is born,thats a stupid name,but if he was to be called Leon or Josh,that would be Ok in your book,Im sorry but you dont deserve the title of Irish my friend if thats the kind of view you hold,my son will be proud of his heritage and culture,and especially his name if any little c*nt gives him grief over it he wont sit and take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it's because they are scumbags. If someone get's beaten up for their name, then it doesn't say much for the people beating them up. West-brit fits the boot here just fine.

So west brit is synonymous with scum bag? What a delightful load of shit.
    So because my son has a name thats native to the country he is born,thats a stupid name,but if he was to be called Leon or Josh,that would be Ok in your book,Im sorry but you dont deserve the title of Irish my friend if thats the kind of view you hold,my son will be proud of his heritage and culture,and especially his name if any little c*nt gives him grief over it he wont sit and take it

Children are cruel, was the point i was getting at and putting your own misconceptions about fabled 'west brits' on it is stupid, but feel free to pull the "I'm more irish, and therefore better, than you" card. It fits right in with your egotistical "you dont deserve the title of Irish" sthick you seem to have going.

So west brit is synonymous with scum bag? What a delightful load of shit.

It is in this delightful instance.

Sorry Raver, I definitely didnt want this thread to turn into one about your son. Tell him back down from nothing, esp someone named Josh. :)

A name is a name, but i just prefer my name in Irish. Always have. It kinda peed me off truth be told when the Post woman/Person didnt know my address in Irish. One of the biggest streets in the town i live.

Its not a complicated translation. But i am afraid now my mail may go missing if i dont put down the English address.

I realise there are far more important things to be thinking about in our current climate, but i have to focus on other things from time to time or it'll do my Nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I might change my name to Gina Lollabrigida just to scare my postman. He already gives me a wide berth having to deliver post addressed to "The Old Goat".
    Having him call me Mr. Lollabrigida would really push him over the edge. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes you can indeed change your name.

• Advertisement

Actually know a guy called Max Power, it's his real name.
    Can you touch his name though?

Advertisement