Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legally Changing Your Name

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Dave! wrote: »
    Yes you can indeed change your name.

Very Good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Deedsie wrote: »
    Very Good
    Good indeed

DEED

Like.... DEED POLL

And... your name is DEEDsie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Good indeed

DEED

Like.... DEED POLL

And... your name is DEEDsie

I dont get it :confused:

I dont get it :confused:
    Like..... DEED

Like... Nevermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kiera12

I changed the spelling of my name..... (dont ask!!!) it isnt legal so any legal forms or documents I have to use 'Ciara' and anything else then I spell it Kiera! Weird i know! My signature is Ciara! Everyone spells it with a K now except my dad!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

When I was a kid I wanted to change my name to ''Hamato Yoshi''.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dlofnep wrote: »
    No, it's because they are scumbags. If someone get's beaten up for their name, then it doesn't say much for the people beating them up. West-brit fits the boot here just fine.
    Ah in fairness dlofnep, "west Brit" is one of those phrases like "PC" that people just throw out without knowing the full meaning. A kid making fun of a name in Irish isn't doing so for political reasons, they're just doing so because it sounds unusual. I don't like the phrase "west Brit" but if I had to give an example of one, I'd say Kevin Myers for worshipping at the altar of British imperialism despite being Irish... not applicable to silly kids messing around.
    RaverRo808 wrote: »
    So because my son has a name thats native to the country he is born,thats a stupid name
    No, what lordofthecheese meant was, other kids would consider it a stupid name because it sounds funny to them. They'd do the same to a kid with a Pakistani name. The name being native to where he is born is irrelevant - what we're talking about here is how it sounds, nothing more.
    but if he was to be called Leon or Josh,that would be Ok in your book
    Why would that be ok in lordofthecheese's book? He's referring to the other kids, not his views.
    my son will be proud of his heritage and culture
    Because you tell him to is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

If you have been using the K spelling for long enough you can legally change it
    Kiera12 wrote: »
    I changed the spelling of my name..... (dont ask!!!) it isnt legal so any legal forms or documents I have to use 'Ciara' and anything else then I spell it Kiera! Weird i know! My signature is Ciara! Everyone spells it with a K now except my dad!

Link to booklet {PDF Warning}:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I wanted to change my name to Handsome B. Wonderful but was afraid I'd get sued under the trade descriptions act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Kiera12

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    If you have been using the K spelling for long enough you can legally change it

I have thought about it but its a tedious process. Changing it with the bank, passport office, car insurance, health services etc! Would be good but it's going ok at the moment! Might change it in another few years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Did the OP ever get his question answered or have they given up?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

greetings wrote: »
    Did the OP ever get his question answered or have they given up?:P

Yes it was answered near the start.

Thanks everyone.

Its gonna be weird if i do go ahead and change it. My friends will never call me my Irish name.

We're all trying to get my brother to name his baby Megatron. I reckon if he doesn't, I'll change my name to that some time in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

We're all trying to get my brother to name his baby Megatron.

If this works have him name his second child Starscream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Then you\he can battle "Captain Fantastic Faster Than Superman Spiderman Batman Wolverine Hulk And The Flash Combined"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/3369609/Teenager-changes-name-to-Captain-Fantastic.html
    We're all trying to get my brother to name his baby Megatron. I reckon if he doesn't, I'll change my name to that some time in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I know 3 families where some members use the Irish version of their name and others do not. I also know one person who has switched between using the too.
    You can call yourself what you like, the state should have to recognise the Irish version of your name. You might run into difficulty with your passport as other countries may not understand and think you are committing fraud.

At university, any correspondance addressed to me from the university icluded my two middle names. When I asked them to stop they told me i needed a signed affadavit! All I wanted was to exclude my middle names, not change my name. They also told me all my names would have to be printed on my degree, which they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

I had the opposite situation to the OP, I was in this crappy Irish-obsessed school that changed everyones name to Irish, no matter how off it was!

My names Jerry like, and I was officially Diarmuid in the school records :confused:

God I hate Gaelgoir Nazis :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

To put your forname and family name back into the Irish on your passport you simply send your birth certificate with the anglicised name into the Passport Office and it will be done quickly. I did it 10 years ago and I didn't need proof of use for two years. I then did the same, and a photocopy of my new passport, and sent it to the local council so my Driving Licence was also put in the Irish.

'My names Jerry like, and I was officially Diarmuid in the school records confused.gif'

Jeremiah is a common anglicisation of Diarmaid in southwest Munster so it's not that confusing (the first syllable sounds similar). I know a guy from there and his name was the pleonastic 'Dermot Jeremiah' on his birth cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    My son wont be beaten up,especially if its over his Irish,if a gang of little west brits give him grief over his name which is Irish,he'll be doing the beating!

To echo a previous poster, that is the spirit!

Anyway, presumably your kid will also be attending an all-Irish school so, well, most people there will similarly have their names in the Irish. If he is not in a gaelscoil, as Nietzsche said 'out of life's school of war that which does not destroy me makes me stronger.' Never mind the other narrow-minded English-speaking monoglots.

Advertisement