Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo costs

Options
  • 03-03-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

Just wondering what prices people are paying per hour for their tat work? I was quoted 150per hr in Dublin city centre or 100per hr for another artist in the same studio. This was being charged for the freehand drawing on time also.. I have mauri / tribal work done already and looking to add on. Also who's the best for this type of work in dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

stifz wrote: »
    Just wondering what prices people are paying per hour for their tat work? I was quoted 150per hr in Dublin city centre or 100per hr for another artist in the same studio. This was being charged for the freehand drawing on time also.. I have mauri / tribal work done already and looking to add on. Also who's the best for this type of work in dublin.

150? Thats the dearest I've heard of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 murdoc75

with the times that are in it dont be afraid to haggle, but no matter wat top artist thats steep

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

€150 seems way too steep to me to be honest, I'd try to negotiate with them on that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

€150 per hour?!! :eek: I didnt know Paul Booth was working in Dublin :rolleyes:
    Thats too expensive for Dublin IMO, with the economic climate, standard of artist (in general) and all that. Hourly rates of that size are for genuine world class artists, who are very high in demand. Our local boys should cop themselves on.

Can we know who/where that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Pluto on Dorset Street charges 150 for the first hour and 100 per hour afterthat. I got work done by him last year and hubby is hopingto get work by him soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

Im paying 120 an hour for mine,150 is the most I heard of,and 150 for the first hour sounds like their trying to make as much as they can off people who might be only getting small work done,but then again if its worth 150 an hour I'd pay it but only if it was seriously worth it

That rate of 150 for the first hour is for free handing the tattoo on around a pre-existing one.

The tattoo I got took just under 2 hours and only cost 160 from the same guy as he quoted for the picture he was given and this was transferred on.

I thought Pluto was closed down? Must of heard wrong I guess.
    €150 to my mind is too much for tattooists in Ireland to be charging, €120 for the more well known and reputable places like JMD's for instance or if the artists portfolio is just awesome, but for a local ink shop where no one is booked out and is putting out average tattoos, I think they're chancing their arm and ripping people off.......that or they think very highly of themselves.

Hope hes not gone, I wanted to go back and get another by him. When I got my tattoo from him in July last year I had to wait nearly 3 weeks for the appointment and that was for a weekday not even a Saturday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Temple bar. Dublin Art tattoo.. Was charged 150 per hr for working around a previous tat. Just the same style really. I thought it was high alright but he did have talent for that style. Was my first tat in ireland. Others were Oz artist was cleaner but lacked imagination. Like pulling teeth to get something drawn up. Have to say id go back the temple bar but the price id hope would be less..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Lilliput69

€100 per hr would be average i would say. Personaly i get a fixed price for tat and not per hr.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

Lilliput69, me too. I go to the same artist and he just tells me how much all in and I pay upfront...

Then I feel bad having paid in advance so bring cookies for subsequent sittings :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Same here I just ask how much it'll be and pay up front, Thought 120 is the most i've heard of for the by the hour thing. i personally think by the hour is just a way to make more money

The €150 p/h (even €120) seems all the worse value for money when you consider Paul Naylor from Indigo tattoo in Cheshire charges less than €80 p/h (£70)! Here's some of his work. He won Tattoo artist of the year from Total Tattoo (I think its that mag anyway). And no, I'm not his publicist. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

i personally think by the hour is just a way to make more money

Surely not in Ireland :eek: [/SARCASM]

I haven't had a tattoo done in year's, I've one design in mind (I posted it here awhile back) - to me its simple but I'm half afraid to bring the design to a shop incase I'm priced out of it and left feeling like a stingy fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

Diceicle wrote: »
    The €150 p/h (even €120) seems all the worse value for money when you consider Paul Naylor from Indigo tattoo in Cheshire charges less than €80 p/h (£70)! Here's some of his work. He won Tattoo artist of the year from Total Tattoo (I think its that mag anyway). And no, I'm not his publicist. :cool:

I shouldn't have to say this again, but Irish tattoo artists have to spend their wages IN IRELAND, just like you.

I'm not saying people shouldn't go over seas to get tattooed - go for it. But its not ok to say Irish tattoo artists are ripping off people by comparing with england. Up until the recent weakness of the pound, 70 pounds was more like 110 euro. And cost of living is a bit lower in england.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

hot2def wrote: »
    I shouldn't have to say this again, but Irish tattoo artists have to spend their wages IN IRELAND, just like you.

I'm not saying people shouldn't go over seas to get tattooed - go for it. But its not ok to say Irish tattoo artists are ripping off people by comparing with england. Up until the recent weakness of the pound, 70 pounds was more like 110 euro. And cost of living is a bit lower in england.

Same applies for any trade or service, you simply pay more for it here than elsewhere.

Well aware of the being in Ireland situation, however, my post was more so pointing out the fact that while in England there's an award winning tattoo artist charging £70, who if he was tattooing in Ireland could charge at least 50% more and our tattoo artists have the brass neck to charge someone twice Naylors rate without the level of equitable talent to back it up.
    Besides which, the point of cost of living vs prices in uk/eire, the differential for retail stands around 10% higher to operate in the republic.
    There is no way 150 squid can be justifed for the level of talent available in the ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

There is no way 150 squid can be justifed for the level of talent available in the ROI.

I completely agree with you in that regard.

So what is the average UK price if Naylors is 70? or is he charging standard rates which i'm assuming.

vangoz wrote: »
    Same applies for any trade or service, you simply pay more for it here than elsewhere.

True enough, at the end of the day we're a small island and prices are going to be higher pretty much across the board. But a 90% difference between a top quality artist like Paul Naylor and Johnny Average Tattooist (that was very tabloid of me! :pac: Granted, that is the top end.) is a rip-off, or at the very least opportunism, plain and simple.
    I've said in previous threads, 80 to 100, ok, I'll pay that. Relatively speaking, its worth the rate for now......
    Just on the matter of the trades and services, its worth remembering, they're coming down in price. ;)

• Advertisement

vangoz wrote: »
    I completely agree with you in that regard.

So what is the average UK price if Naylors is 70? or is he charging standard rates which i'm assuming.

To be honest, I don't know. I was actually a little shocked as I think he's undercharging at that price for his quality of work. I would guess that £70 is the norm or the studios have reduced prices in light of everyone having less spare cash.
    I will say that Naylor tattoos out of Cheshire so doesnt have London rent rates to contend with but I stand by by statement that anything over €100 for the average tattooist over here is too much.

I'm not saying 150 an hour is ok, I'm just saying that you can't make a direct comparison with the uk like that, it doesn't work.

And tattooists have to spend their wages here.

I pay twice the rent my friend in newcastle does.

Anyway, I'd like to make it clear that we charge per piece and not per hour.

I'm not saying 150 an hour is ok, I'm just saying that you can't make a direct comparison with the uk like that, it doesn't work.

And tattooists have to spend their wages here.

I pay twice the rent my friend in newcastle does.

Anyway, I'd like to make it clear that we charge per piece and not per hour.

I don't think anyone but the Paul Booths or Guy Aitchisons of the tattoo-world could justify that hourly rate in Ireland. I'm not saying that every artist in Irelands top-rate should be €80, I think that 80 to 100 is a very decent rate to charge, if you do 10 small tattoos in a week thats €800.......cash. Fair enough 50% will go to the studio, but thats still €400 for 10 kanji or whatever (if you take my point).
    I would still contend, as a consumer, that if the cost of living falls so should the hourly rate, its the decent thing to do. ;)

I don't think anyone but the Paul Booths or Guy Aitchisons of the tattoo-world could justify that hourly rate in Ireland. I'm not saying that every artist in Irelands top-rate should be €80, I think that 80 to 100 is a very decent rate to charge, if you do 10 small tattoos in a week thats €800.......cash. Fair enough 50% will go to the studio, but thats still €400 for 10 kanji or whatever (if you take my point).
    I would still contend, as a consumer, that if the cost of living falls so should the hourly rate, its the decent thing to do. ;)

Maybe not everyone gets 10 small tattoos a week. Maybe not every shop has an 80 minimum.

Hey, I think everyone in Ireland needs to take a pay cut. cool. Everyone. Tattooists, doctors, people on the dole, minimum wage. everyone.

What I resent here is the implication that we are gouging people. This is an issue for the whole country.

What pay cut have you taken so far?

Maybe not everyone gets 10 small tattoos a week. Maybe not every shop has an 80 minimum.

Hey, I think everyone in Ireland needs to take a pay cut. cool. Everyone. Tattooists, doctors, people on the dole, minimum wage. everyone.

What I resent here is the implication that we are gouging people. This is an issue for the whole country.

What pay cut have you taken so far?

I can only go by my experience, any shop I've been to has a minimum charge of €80, used to be €60 but prices went up and so did the minimum rate. I think a minimum charge is only proper, kind of like a call out fee a plumber charges in a way.

I agree with your assertation that everyone takes a cut to some degree, but thats not really what I'm arguing for. Firstly I think its only right that prices come down along with cost of living / operating costs. It makes ethical sense as a consumer.
    As the spare dosh is less these days, it makes business sense for the artists to reduce their rates slightly to attract more people in. No point charging €100ph if no one is coming to your studio when you could charge €80ph and get at least some cutom.
    I certainly dont think tattoo artists should work for a pittence, its a hard trade to get into and harder again to stick at. You should be paid for your talent for sure.
    Now, I never said tattoo artists were gouging customers, though the 150 ph issue is pure profiteering by Art Tattoo, I can't think of any reason for that charge, other than the particular artist thinks quite highly of his own talent maybe. :rolleyes:
    I've stated many times 80-100, I'm happy enough to pay while the money is there. When more of the taxes hit I will obviously be less happy.
    As for my pay.........well, I have the 1% levy plus an 8% reduction hitting shortly, pay freeze, no promotions and no overtime. However my mortgage is coming down as are utilities and there are sales on everything........except tattoos :p ooooooh!
    Could resist that. Sorry.

I agree with your assertation that everyone takes a cut to some degree, but thats not really what I'm arguing for. Firstly I think its only right that prices come down along with cost of living / operating costs. It makes ethical sense as a consumer.

i understand what you are saying, but you have to remember that a cut in prices is a direct cut in wages in tattooing. Operating costs haven't budged yet.

I'm all for prices coming down, and think 150 an hour is ludicrous. But I can tell you lots of artists are just getting by.

As for my pay.........well, I have the 1% levy plus an 8% reduction hitting shortly, pay freeze, no promotions and no overtime. However my mortgage is coming down as are utilities and there are sales on everything........except tattoos :p ooooooh!
    Could resist that. Sorry.

So, no wage cut yet then.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'm getting a tattoo in the near future, i don't have the cash at the minute but im saving money. Might be a bit alien to people, but get used to it haha :)

So, no wage cut yet then.....

If you dont count the 1% levy no, the larger cut kicks in at the months end as its into the 2nd qtr of the financial year.

I hear you about artists just getting by and I will continue to support the tattoo scene in Ireland for as long as I can, I'd love to see it thrive.
    I'm hoping to start a sleeve around summer, but my spendable income going down and tattoo costs remaining the same arent going to help the situation. One thing is for sure though, if I go into any of the studios I regularly attend and they quote me 120 ph, I'll turn on my heals and visit aer lingus.com :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 IlikePostcards

Now, I know I'm new to boards, and to Ireland in general, but the prices that you guys have quoted seem pretty outta this world for some ink. (unless you are quoting for full sleeves) I'm planning on getting one soon, but at these prices, I might just till I go home (washington dc) again.

In general I would pay about 100 euro for a good one, and the one I want, but still...

Advertisement