Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor pay as you go broadband Versus 3 pay broadband

Options

Comments

watty wrote: »
    Which Digiweb are you on? DSL, Metro or other? Some Metro users may accidently be on wrong settings.

Contact them.

I've used O2's 3G/HSDPA and it's not suitable for gaming. My Metro has about 1/4 of the BEST ping of mobile and nearly x10 speed.

The clue is in the name. These Mobile services are designed for Mobile use. Great for that. :)

thanks. i am on metro. i am also using a set of these to connect my xbox :http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pe.htm
    but i doubt this has anything to do with it. i'll give em a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Powerline adaptors CAN have problems. Also you need a ethernet/cable router to reliably connect them to the Digiweb modem.

Test direct.

Consider either a coax to move the modem or a Cat5e cable as the PowerLine / homplug can be unreliable and can generate a lot of interference.
    C:\>ping www.heanet.ie -t

Pinging samhain.heanet.ie [193.1.219.57] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=58
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=58
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=58
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=58
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=58
    Reply from 193.1.219.57: bytes=32 time=17ms TTL=58

Ping statistics for 193.1.219.57:
        Packets: Sent = 10, Received = 10, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
        Minimum = 17ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 18ms

WiFi on 7 year old laptop. Dlink ethernet router/WiFi base.
    (if a Router is for DSL only, i.e. with DSL modem built in , it won't work properly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

Has anyone used a webcam with meteor or 3 pay monthly and how did it perform. I am thinking of scrapping land line but obviously want to keep internet and would need something that would give decent webcam performance to chat with family abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Has anyone used a webcam with meteor or 3 pay monthly and how did it perform. I am thinking of scrapping land line but obviously want to keep internet and would need something that would give decent webcam performance to chat with family abroad.

Chat and webcam on mobile...not a chance. Latency is too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

bealtine wrote: »

Thanks. I am no expert in these matters but that's pretty much what I thought.

Looks like I'll have to find another way to express my exhibitionism...... I mean chat to family....ahem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoifespen

how the#####do post new threads

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The USB modem Meteor are distributing is the very attractive Huawei E180, which trounces the Huawei E160 and E169 that the 3 Network use. I myself use a Huawei E169.

http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/products/view.do?id=1300

If someone wishes to use another carrier, they are also easy to unlock.

Could a few Meteor using members post Speed tests..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

If I buy the modem from meteor for 69e can I get it unlocked on line or etc and put my 3 sim into it.

I bust my 3 modem...:rolleyes:

That price for 69e is a take home price, its not under contract is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

If I buy the modem from meteor for 69e can I get it unlocked on line or etc and put my 3 sim into it.

I bust my 3 modem...:rolleyes:

That price for 69e is a take home price, its not under contract is it?

I think it is a take-home price. Take a look:

https://store.meteor.ie/broadband/

---

Not sure if it is okay to mention this, hence the ****, but DC-U******r will unlock both the Huawei E180 and E180G online. You buy credits then select the service you want, as in, unlock..

Meteor have tailored the built in software, you will need to reflash the software yourself using the Huawei default, this is easy to do.

I might buy one just for the modem.

---

Just to add x in the city, you might actually prefer the Meteor service, from what I've been reading, it's a tad faster up and down, you'll be less likely to smash your modem off tables as a result..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 aoifespen

HOW DO I POST NEW THREADS ON BOARDS CAN SOMEONE TELL ME
    AS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

Got Meteor yesterday. Live in Dublin City Cenre connects at 7.2Mbps 3G/HSPA nearly everytime. Occasionally 286kbps or something when it connects to the EDGE network but disconnecting and reconnecting sorts that. No complaints so far. Might be a problem with th 5 gig limit though.
    aoifespen wrote: »
    HOW DO I POST NEW THREADS ON BOARDS CAN SOMEONE TELL ME

AS

That little "X" in the top right corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fiend-Foe wrote: »
    connects at 7.2Mbps 3G/HSPA nearly everytime

could you back that up with a speedtest, I think your getting a notification from the Meteor software to say you are now connected at 7.2Mbps, you are not connected at 7.2Mbps everytime, www.speedtest.net

could you back that up with a speedtest, I think your getting a notification from the Meteor software to say you are now connected at 7.2Mbps, you are not connected at 7.2Mbps everytime, www.speedtest.net

Hmmm, you are right :(

446145527.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

that's pretty dismal seen the low amount of users...they must be working on it or something, I doubt there offering is that bad unless a lot of people signed up in the last few weeks....

call to customer care is in order I think....

Doesn't bother me, does just fine for what I need it for.

Just got this,

446173594.png

EDIT: This is a bit better. Still only 2G Speed is it? It says HPSA.

446407131.png

Basic 2G is 14.4kbps. (GSM)
    2 slot call gives 28.8kbps but costs twice as much per second

These are fixed speeds

GPRS (GSM 2G) is 10kbps to 70kbps
    EDGE (GSM/2G) is typically 180kbps to 240kbps, but can be slower, and in theory up to 2Mbps (not in Ireland).

3G(UMTS/W-CDMA) is UPTO 350kps, but could be as low as 5kbps, possibly.

HSPDA, HSUPA, I-HSPA and HSPA+ are all protocols on 3G air interface sometimes called 3.5G. They can in theory do UP TO 21Mbps on a single 5MHz channel. But speed drops rapidly as signal is lower, interference higher or more users to about a minimum of 50Kbps to 120kbps, when the operator may disconnect. So you can get better speeds on 2G than so called 3.5G

Less than 3% of people on a cell might get 21Mbps (21,000kbps) if that was the top speed. As 3G/HSPA becomes more popular, on average about 50% of users would get < 300kbps.

It's designed for Mobile Digital Voice (5kbps to 12kbps rate) with Internet usage as an afterthought, Internet usage was never invisaged for Fixed Broadband Replacement, but a quick email check or info look up less than 5min on a phone. The Mobile system can only handle sustained traffic at reasonable performance for about 5 to 10 users per sector. Even that can be poorer than entry level DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭faoile@n

Is it possible to get a meteor pay as you go sim and use their broadband pay as you go? My old phone is a Huawei phone and is 3G capable so i'd like to get it for occasional 1 day uses here and there if possible.

faoile@n wrote: »
    Is it possible to get a meteor pay as you go sim and use their broadband pay as you go? My old phone is a Huawei phone and is 3G capable so i'd like to get it for occasional 1 day uses here and there if possible.

The package I got is prepay. €79 upfront for the modem and then €20 for 30 days access or 5gb download, which ever runs out first. You can just use normal meteor call credit to topup.

I doubt if you could use the sim in a phone though, I'd say they are configured for data only. I tried to call my number and just got silence, no voicemail or recorded message. I'll have to pop my sim into my phone later and see what happens. I'll let you know.

many 3G phones are 384k. Some only 115k when tethered to laptop. It needs to be explicity an HSDPA or similar support to be faster.

The O2 data sim works in phone and vice versa. Calls cost more on a data SIM.

usually you can add a Data account to a Phone Sim.

Only SMS works for non-data to a modem phone number sim in a modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

bealtine wrote: »

I was thinking of getting wireless broadband for using skype (audio only). Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

CG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

con1982 wrote: »
    I was thinking of getting wireless broadband for using skype (audio only). Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

CG

I'm on 3, works fine here m8

con1982 wrote: »

Thanks in advance

CG

It will work for maybe 20% of people or 20% of locations. Skype audio is pretty poor on 3G/HSDPA due to
    - High to very high latency (delay = 100ms to 2000ms)
    - Does not always connect
    - High jitter is very bad (latency changing during call)
    - Dramatic speed variation during call (50kbps to 5000kbps)
    - Dropped sessions
    - very poor performance if both parties are on 3G/HSDPA or EDGE
    - Meteor 3G coverage is limited. Skype on EDGE will be poorer.
    - Performance may be twice as bad to 3, as 3 use a NAT, so Skype may need to "relay"

Incoming calls are less reliable than outgoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭dubber

My midband has been ripping along lately, speedtest results below is am, but have been getting similar results in the evenings too:

459761750.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Go for 3, it'll work in a lot more places and there a lot longer in the Mobile Broadband game than Meteor, Expect 3's experience to improve a lot, expect Meteors to deteriate rapidly as new users are added.....

lol

so you do work with 3

3 is the worst pile of shoite ever. anyone who signs up to them needs a triple lobotomy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

dubber wrote: »
    My midband has been ripping along lately, speedtest results below is am, but have been getting similar results in the evenings too:

459761750.png

CPW return rate for meteors modem is 90% in Cork, return rate for 3 is 10%

Walkman wrote: »
    CPW return rate for meteors modem is 90% in Cork, return rate for 3 is 10%

TBH ... as you can return if it doesn't work for you, think the answer to this thread is try for yourself and see what you think .... also, think speedtest is a little optimistic this morning!

460453910.png

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭fintaneduffy

yea that speedtest seems optimistic seen as the hardware is only capable 0f 7.2 Megs????

yea that speedtest seems optimistic seen as the hardware is only capable 0f 7.2 Megs????

Yeah, it was an E180.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Does anybody know if you can select a data add-on on Meteor PAYG like you can with Three? I have an unlocked modem and was thinking of getting a Meteor sim for GPRS/EDGE connection as Three doesn't work where I live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

I got Meteor to go a week ago and im probably going to bring it back. Before this i had Ripwave which worked fine but its expensive at €27 p/m. I dont know how long ill be living in this house so i cant get anything fixed. I live on the edge of Dublin city centre near a university so maybe all the student use is slowing my connection down? Any opinions on the figures below, is this normal?

Average Download Speed 0.03 Mb/s Average Upload Speed 0.02 Mb/s

Advertisement