Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving on from beginner programme

Options
  • 02-03-2009 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

ok so for the last 5/6 weeks or so i have been doing the stronglifts 5x5 beginners workout and whatever you think of stronglifts i dont really care it helped get me back into the gym doing the core lifts and had me making gains

but in the next week or two weeks i think i can move onto something a bit more intense and was hoping you guys could help

current stats; 6'2 around 13.5st . squat 85kg bench 65kg and not sure about deadlift but less than squat all for 5x5

goals;

get stronger and get a sexy summer body suprise suprise.

also though i want to be doing body weight bench, 1.5bw squat and deadlift by the end of may.

i would love to be able to do 10/12 pull ups / chinups with no assitance at the moment i am doing them with between 25 and 32kg of assitance for 5x5

in that order of preference

time in the gym; preferably one to one and half hours every second day(just on weights if people recommend cardio aswell to lose that extra bit of fat then ill do this seperately at the weekends i think)

things i didnt like about the stronglifts was that after a week i felt like it was very very sparse and i wanted to be spending another 20mins doing stuff but didnt know what to do.

has very little ab work in it obviously i know the core lifts are all over but i would like something like a shot group of supersets to work my abs at the end of every workout

things i liked, total body workout (i just think i prefer it but if there is a good reason for a split workout thenill give it a try), core lifts, constant progression(add a little weight everyday) excersises to failure

so anyone care to take a little time and advise on a suitable programme for me? i have found i quite like being completely knackered after a session so you dont have to go easy on me. any other general advice besides diet(which is getting way better)

thanks in advance boys and girls
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

in regards to abdominals, they are nearly 100% diet, everyone has an 8pack, just need to lose fat to show it, i dont see the need for any direct ab work unless ur trying to up deadlifts and squats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

in regards to abdominals, they are nearly 100% diet, everyone has an 8pack, just need to lose fat to show it, i dont see the need for any direct ab work unless ur trying to up deadlifts and squats

well i dont know if its connected to the abs but as i get a little heavier on the squats i find my very lower back gives way a little on the first half of the rise of the squat would ab work help that?(im assuming here that abs are not just the 6-8 muscles on your very fron but actually stretch right around you if that makes sense)

also is there any reason NOT to do ab work as part of an over all put on some muscle get stronger routine?

i understand about the losing fat to see the muscles and i will get to that :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

why dont you try some of thesehttp://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/After_Starting_Strength#More_Programs
    the 20 rep squats look fun and deadly

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭justdoit

I've not done Starting Strength, but did do Stronglifts 5x5. It has its knockers, but I found it really helpful, and reckon you could still get more out of your current programme by continuing to add weight every workout. It got me above 1.5 BW squat, and above BW bench (DL lacking a little). Keep adding weight (2.5-5kg) and you will be knackered after every workout, you will need longer pauses between sets and your 1/1.5 hours will fly by!

Advertisement