Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hollywood to make 30 anti-Iranian movies

Options
  • 02-03-2009 6:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭

According to the Iranian foriegn Ministry there are 30 anti-Iranian/Persian/Islamic movies in the offing.

In light of the spate of Hollywood holocaust movies around the time of the most recent slaughter in Gaza could this be a precursor for an assault on Iran?

Source: http://www$.presstv.ir/Detail.aspxid=86597&sectionid=351020105

Oh, and if anyone uneccesarily finds this offensive please just ignore.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

what constitutes an anti-iranian movie? im guessing that iran would see any movie involving iran as being anti-iranian for a start

Films banned in iran

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The US military just rings all the screen writers: "Are you doing a terrorist movie? Just make sure the baddies are Iranian."

biko wrote: »
    The US military just rings all the screen writers: "Are you doing a terrorist movie? Just make sure the baddies are Iranian."

no its a big zionist conspiracy, the jewes run both the military and the entertainment industry dont you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

this is what america does. they always make out that they are the great guys and everyone else is suspicous.

all american media is aimed at showing how 'wonderful' america is and some people fall for this crap.

america is no land of the free, in ireland we would ever have much more freedom. death to america.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Sofa_King Good

indough wrote: »
    what constitutes an anti-iranian movie?

well 300 for a start. An anti-Iranian movie is the equivalent of an anti-anywhere else movie, there is no need to differentiate.
    im guessing that iran would see any movie involving iran as being anti-iranian for a start

No idea why you think this...

• Advertisement

no its a big zionist conspiracy, the jewes run both the military and the entertainment industry dont you know

ok, assuming its true you explain it then.

(The production of these movies not the conspiracy.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

According to the Iranian foriegn Ministry there are 30 anti-Iranian/Persian/Islamic movies in the offing.

In light of the spate of Hollywood holocaust movies around the time of the most recent slaughter in Gaza could this be a precursor for an assault on Iran?

Source: http://www$.presstv.ir/Detail.aspxid=86597&sectionid=351020105

Oh, and if anyone uneccesarily finds this offensive please just ignore.:)

Um, your link doesn't work - did it die in 30 mins?

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    Um, your link doesn't work - did it die in 30 mins?

P.

My apologies - http://www.presstv.ir/Detail.aspx?id=86597&sectionid=351020105

A link to state Iranian TV quoting an Iranian minister who doesn't name a single one of the 30 movies. Not exactly the most compelling source.

P.

well 300 for a start. An anti-Iranian movie is the equivalent of an anti-anywhere else movie, there is no need to differentiate.

no, it is different, some cultures percieve practically any depiction of themselves as a slight towards them, iran is such a country

come on im sure you do really,

• Advertisement

A link to state Iranian TV quoting an Iranian minister who doesn't name a single one of the 30 movies. Not exactly the most compelling source.

P.

Sorry you weren't compelled P. I would be interested to know however if you distrust "Iranian TV" and "Iranian minister"s and if so if you have a legitimate reason for doing so.

no, it is different, some cultures percieve practically any depiction of themselves as a slight towards them, iran is such a country

come on im sure you do really,

care to back that up? and whom in your opinion are these other ultra thin skinned groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ya gotta have more examples then '300'

iran is notorious for its censorship, to deny this is just ludicrous, it has the worst score possible on both the reporters without borders and OpenNet Initiative's scale for censorship

they are censoring their own society and want to censor ours too, whats worse than that isw that there are people who want to let them have the right to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Diogenes

well 300 for a start.

Thats anti Iranian? I thought it would have been banned because of their anti homsexual rule.
    An anti-Iranian movie is the equivalent of an anti-anywhere else movie, there is no need to differentiate.

So if I have this clear, in order to justify an invasion hollywood need to be ordered to make several dozen movies in order to what? Rile up the population.

So Pearl Habor and Saving Private Ryan were what? An attempt to restart
    the 2nd world war?

They think a movie that is based on an event over 2000 years ago is Anti Iranian propaganda.

passion of the christ was labelled anti-semitic therefore hollywood also has an agenda against israel i suppose

i bet there werent too many threads created in here about that though

Diogenes wrote: »
    Thats anti Iranian? I thought it would have been banned because of their anti homsexual rule.

Yes. I will answer this with a simple photo comparison,

Real Persian Immortals

Detail.aspx?id=86597&sectionid=351020105
    300 Persian Immortals

neca300imm2.jpg

Simple case of demonisation. And I know 300 wasn't a documentary.

So if I have this clear, in order to justify an invasion hollywood need to be ordered to make several dozen movies in order to what? Rile up the population.

So Pearl Habor and Saving Private Ryan were what? An attempt to restart
    the 2nd world war?
    No, but a sizable percentage of Americans could not point out Israel and Iran on a map, never mind the US itself . And if what you are suggesting is that movies have no effect on a viewer
    then i think you are mistaken.

here is the link for the actual immortals:
    http://www.livius.org/a/1/iran/persian_warrior.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

iran is notorious for its censorship, to deny this is just ludicrous, it has the worst score possible on both the reporters without borders and OpenNet Initiative's scale for censorship

they are censoring their own society and want to censor ours too, whats worse than that isw that there are people who want to let them have the right to do that

I'll tell you where is bad for censorship. Germany. Over there you can be imprisoned simply for questioning the holocaust figures. Ridiculous! In fact, I think it should be challenged in the European Courts.

Yes. I will answer this with a simple photo comparison,

Real Persian Immortals

Detail.aspx?id=86597&sectionid=351020105
    300 Persian Immortals

neca300imm2.jpg

Seriously that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Simple case of demonisation. And I know 300 wasn't a documentary.

Neither was Die Hard, it wasn't anti German propaganda. The Patriot wasn't a documentary, are you trying to say it was "anti British" propaganda? How about Braveheart? Rob Roy?

No, but a sizable percentage of Americans could not point out Israel and Iran on a map, never mind the US itself . And if what you are suggesting is that movies have no effect on a viewer
    then i think you are mistaken.

Thats a complete non sequitur. Are really saying you US knowledge of middle eastern geography is so bad ergo a couple of bad Michael Bay films will make the US population want to invade Iran?
    here is the link for the actual immortals:
    http://www.livius.org/a/1/iran/persian_warrior.jpg

HOLLYWOOD MOVIE IN HISTORICAL INACCURACY SHOCKER!

Some stuff I now need to break to you SKG;

- Despite what you heard in the film "Alexander", Macedonians did not speak with an Irish Accent.

- It would be extremely unlikely for a Roman Emperor to fight a slave, as what happens in the movie Gladiator.

- In actuality William Wallace never got to shag the fit french princess like you saw in Braveheart.

- Oh and Mozart enjoyed a friendly relationship with Salieri, and probably wasn't murdered by him.

SKG it was a movie, as you rightly pointed out, many americans cannot correctly identify current day Iran on a map, but you think a movie about a 2000 year old war which never mentions the name Iran, is anti Iranian propaganda?

Really? I mean really? Because you're flatly contracting yourself here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Don't mess with the Zohan.

• Advertisement

ok I am gonna make this real simple.

Four legs good. Two legs bad.

1. It is undeniable that the movie industry is and has been used for propoganda purposes.

2. Iranian minister claims there are 30 movies to be released that he considers anti-Iranian.

3. The American and world public would not accept Iran becoming another Iraq. If they are to attack an alternative tact is required. my
    question was if this could be a tiny piece of the puzzle.

4. There was a dispraportianate number of holocaust movies released at . the turn of the year. Coinincidentally or not this coincided with the attack on Gaza.

Somebody, somewhere is making these decisions.

This should make interesting reading for all those who are quick to judge Iranian people.

This was a succesful Iranian state financed TV show fully accepting the holocaust.

The director of the series, Hassan Fathi, said about it,

"I decided to produce this series in 2002, and in those days the Holocaust was not an issue. Even if one single Jew is killed in German camps, the world should be ashamed. By the same token, if a single Palestinian dies, the world should be ashamed. I sympathize with the Jewish victims of World War II, to the same extent with women and children victims of the war in Palestine." [1]

Proof that you can be anti-zionist without being anti-semitic.

Now hands up anyone who can tell me a pro-Iranian Hollywood movie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7119474.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Persepolis?

ok I am gonna make this real simple.

1. It is undeniable that the movie industry is and has been used for propoganda purposes.

No. No it's not. Not being funny here, but after spending three years working in news I ended up working in the film industry. Please explain how and give examples of the film industry being currently used for propaganda. Give examples. And Please don't use 300, a better argument is that it's an infomerical for abmasters and baby oil.
    2. Iranian minister claims there are 30 movies to be released that he considers anti-Iranian.

And his evidence is? What are their names? Are they in pre production? Who's directing them? Who's producing them? Who's staring? Where's he getting this information? Does he have a subscription to a magic copy of variety?
    3. The American and world public would not accept Iran becoming another Iraq. If they are to attack an alternative tact is required. my
    question was if this could be a tiny piece of the puzzle.

So to be clear, America will be convinced by a bunch of Tony Scott movies?
    4. There was a dispraportianate number of holocaust movies released at . the turn of the year. Coinincidentally or not this coincided with the attack on Gaza.

Bullcrap. There were two. Defiance and Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas.

Please explain how this is a disproportionate amount.

Furthermore you do understand that movies of this scale take years to plan, develop and producer, are you really suggesting something as daft that these movies were planned years in advance to soften public opinion. Why?
    Somebody, somewhere is making these decisions.

Lots of different people, on several continents for many different reasons

This should make interesting reading for all those who are quick to judge Iranian people.

Now hands up anyone who can tell me a pro-Iranian Hollywood movie.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7119474.stm

Um, Lawrence of Arabia?

Do I win a prize.

No. No it's not. Not being funny here, but after spending three years working in news I ended up working in the film industry. Please explain how and give examples of the film industry being currently used for propaganda. Give examples. And Please don't use 300, a better argument is that it's an infomerical for abmasters and baby oil. .

Ha. did it work for you?;)

I already have the numerous holocaust related movies released at the time of the Gaza atrocity.

And his evidence is? What are their names? Are they in pre production? Who's directing them? Who's producing them? Who's staring? Where's he getting this information? Does he have a subscription to a magic copy of variety? .

You'll really have to ask him yourself, or wait and see.

So to be clear, America will be convinced by a bunch of Tony Scott movies?

No, but I don't think the accumalative emotional conditioning effects of movies should not be underestimated to zero at least.

Bullcrap. There were two. Defiance and Boy in the Stripped Pyjamas.

Please explain how this is a disproportionate amount. .

It would seem we have reached one of those rare moments when you are incorrect, do you perhaps you would like to withdraw your bullcrap? ;)

Three times your amount in fact - 6! Dispraportionate? I say yes, what say you?

"
    Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein has defended the glut of Holocaust films emerging from Hollywood - insisting the tragic events are a "wonderful" subject to study.
    Six new movies released in December centre on the mass slaughter of Jews in 1940s Germany, including The Reader - starring Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes - Defiance, Tom Cruise's Valkyrie, and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
    Some critics have argued that the story is too gloomy for the festive season - but Weinstein insists it's an important subject for filmmakers to tackle.
    He tells New York Post gossip column PageSix, "What a wonderful subject to explore in as many ways as possible. I hope our children get educated about the Holocaust, so it will be 'Never again'."
    Other Holocaust-themed films due to hit cinemas include Adam Resurrected, and Good, which stars Viggo Mortensen and will be released on December 31. "

Furthermore you do understand that movies of this scale take years to plan, develop and producer, are you really suggesting something as daft that these movies were planned years in advance to soften public opinion. Why?

It was admitted that the attack on Gaza was planned at least 6 months before the event.
    Um, Lawrence of Arabia?

Do I win a prize.

My bad, I should have said post Islamic revolution.

Weinstein link: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0622929/

Sorry you weren't compelled P. I would be interested to know however if you distrust "Iranian TV" and "Iranian minister"s and if so if you have a legitimate reason for doing so.

Well, I wouldn't trust anything coming from a government minister on state TV. Do you implicitly trust everything that Fianna Fail says?

Iranian TV has also said that Harry Potter is a Zionist plot - I presume you believe them on that too? (http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/iranian-tv-documentary-harry-potter-zionist-messiah-or-something/)

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Ok SKG if there are so many anti-Iranian movies you should be able to list them. If you can't I'll have to assume you're just making the whole thing up.

Well, I wouldn't trust anything coming from a government minister on state TV. Do you implicitly trust everything that Fianna Fail says? .

Loaded, question of absolutes. I would not "implicitly trust everything" that anyone says. If mysterious was here he would tell you the importance of discernment.

You still haven;t answered my question P. Would you trust an Iranian minister?
    Iranian TV has also said that Harry Potter is a Zionist plot - I presume you believe them on that too? (http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2009/02/17/iranian-tv-documentary-harry-potter-zionist-messiah-or-something/)

P.
    "The same folks who are allegedly providing help to Taliban guerrillas in Afghanistan? The same folks who help fund Hamas and Hezbollah?" .

You see the Irony here is that you countered my claim with unsubstantiated speculation like above.

To the best of knowledge secular Iran are and were enemies of the fundamentalist Taleban. I believe there were forces built up along the border at some point pre 9/11. A whiff of Islamaphobia in that quote for me.

Loaded, question of absolutes. I would not "implicitly trust everything" that anyone says. If mysterious was here he would tell you the importance of discernment.

You still haven;t answered my question P. Would you trust an Iranian minister?

No, I wouldn't. No more than I would trust the unsubstantiated word of any politician. I'm not sure why you're having a problem understanding that concept. Do you regularly trust people you don't know, you make claims without any proof?

As for the rest of your post, I haven't the faintest clue what you're on about.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

To be honest, I think it's all a little of both and a lot of neither. There's no doubt that there are and will be mainstream movies that paint Iran in a bad light because the arab culture is foreign to the average american and in a film, you want the good guys that the audience can relate to defeating the bad guys who are nothing like the audience. It's just lazy script writing for the most part. They need an easy scape goat who they don't have to write a lot of backstory to.

On the other hand, Iran bans a hell of a lot of things and claims they're attacks on their culture. I'm sure a good portion of the reason for this is that they want to make the US look like they're trying to demonise Iran. It wouldn't matter if the films are or not, simply getting the press coverage is good enough to condemn something.

As for naming pro-Iranian films, name pro-Irish movies that Hollywood has produced lately. Or pro-England movies, pro-China movies, pro-France movies. The reason there aren't many pro-Iranian movies, is because there's little market for them. It all comes down to money, and an Iranian movie will usually make sweet f*ck all. Americans want to see Americans in situations they can understand and recognise. It's the same for all countries with a film industry.

• Advertisement

Ha. did it work for you?;)

Ha? Ha? :rolleyes: And yes. Yes it did.

You'll really have to ask him yourself, or wait and see.

So that would be a "No idea then". I'm just trying to figure out how an Iranian minister has such crucial information about upcoming hollywood releases, but can't name the films, or anything about them.

No, but I don't think the accumalative emotional conditioning effects of movies should not be underestimated to zero at least.

The phrase "Oh please give it a bloody rest" springs to mind. What you have here is a man who's claiming that hollywood are making dozens of movies who's names/casts/crews/ neither you and he can name.

It would seem we have reached one of those rare moments when you are incorrect, do you perhaps you would like to withdraw your bullcrap? ;)

Ah no.

Three times your amount in fact - 6! Dispraportionate? I say yes, what say you?

"
    Movie mogul Harvey Weinstein has defended the glut of Holocaust films emerging from Hollywood - insisting the tragic events are a "wonderful" subject to study.
    Six new movies released in December centre on the mass slaughter of Jews in 1940s Germany, including The Reader - starring Kate Winslet and Ralph Fiennes - Defiance, Tom Cruise's Valkyrie, and The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

Firstly why bother hyperlinking the cast's names as if this somehow adds substance to your bizarre claims.

A) Valkyrie isn't about the Holocaust. It's about the plot to assassinate Hitler.

B) The Reader isn't about the holocaust, it's set to the background of the camps, it's about guilt, illiteracy, it could be argued that its about paedophilia.

C) Adam Resurrected, only went on release after the cease fire.

D) Defiance is not about the slaughter of Jews in Germany, it's in Poland. It's also relatively historically accurate, so whats your problem with that

E) Good isn't exactly a major release, remember you're claiming that there is a pro jew anti Iranian agenda in hollywood, why exactly would they make one of these films, to coincide with the assault on gaza (why this happens you cannot say) and they drop it as a minor release with limited publicity.

Once again SKG you're not making a shred of sense and flatly contradicting yourself in the same post.
    Coinincidentally or not this coincided with the attack on Gaza.

So of your six, two aren't about the holocaust, one was released after the ceasefire, so that gives you three.

Would you like your slow hand clap now?

It was admitted that the attack on Gaza was planned at least 6 months before the event.

and films take much more than 6 months to plan. A friend worked on the Reader for over a year and a half, and he was involved in the post production of the movie. The film was nearly 3 years in the making, suggesting it and three other movies were planned shot, and completed in time for the attack is utterly farcical.
    My bad, I should have said post Islamic revolution.

Weinstein link: http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0622929/

Humanji already named one. Are you going to keep shifting those goalposts?

Tell me, has America made a pro Chinese movie in the past 30 years? Or North Korean? Czech? Russian? Belgian?

Trying to suggest there is some sinister anti Iranian conspiracy theory because Stallone never played the Ayatollah is just inane.

Ohhhh that reminds me, while not pro Iranian, it is pro fundamentalist muslim, so Rambo 3?

Advertisement