Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving lessons - how necessary?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

To try and answer your q's

N272WA wrote: »
    I've read through multiple other threads here but haven't found an answer.

Firstly, has a rule yet come into law in Ireland where you have to take a certain number of driving lessons to get a full licence?

No
    So how necessary do you people think the lessons are? Anyone done and passed the test without taking an official lesson with a driving school?

I passed the test without any lessons, so it is possible. Really does depend on the individual. I was always a very attentive passenger, and I think this stood to me when I started driving.
    On another note, if I get a letter from my job saying I need to take the driving test a.s.a.p, will that help me get around the six-month wait between provisional and full licence test?
    I recall people at work doing this in the past (up to a year ago), but not sure if it's still possible?

No, but apply now and get a test date for right after the 6 months are up.
    For work reasons, I need to get a full licence a.s.a.p.

Any info appreciated. :)

I'm afraid it's gonna be the 6 months at best, hope you can wait.

The sticky's on this forum and other sites are very helpful with the technical/questions part of the test.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 N272WA

Buffman wrote: »
    To try and answer your q's

No

I passed the test without any lessons, so it is possible. Really does depend on the individual. I was always a very attentive passenger, and I think this stood to me when I started driving.

No, but apply now and get a test date for right after the 6 months are up.

I'm afraid it's gonna be the 6 months at best, hope you can wait.

The sticky's on this forum and other sites are very helpful with the technical/questions part of the test.

That answers everything, thanks!

As regards people mentioning me affording/maintaining a car; on a more positive note I've learned that when I successfully get this licence, I should be either entitled to a car with my job (which would be maintained for me) or, I may need to invest in my own car and get my fuel and maintenance costs covered.

I am open to taking some lessons (when I find out where my financial situation leaves me). I didn't know that I would have to wait 6 months until getting to take my driving test (as stated in my original post). That is a long enough period of time that I should be able to save up for lessons.

If people told me they felt they were absolutely necessary, then I would opt for some. I'm not ruling anything out, I just wanted to seek advice on whether there are any people who manage to pass without them nowadays.

That's all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 emilyj

I think if you shop around you could now get lessons for just over €30 per hr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 N272WA

emilyj wrote: »
    I think if you shop around you could now get lessons for just over €30 per hr

That'd be very appealing!

A friend recently paid (I believe) €55 or 60 per hour.. We're quite limited though, with the location we live in.

I'll check around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 emilyj

That seems really excessive. A friend of mine took lessons within the last month from a really good instructor and only paid €32 per hour

Advertisement