Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession-friendly make up?

Options
  • 01-03-2009 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Self-explanatory title really! I usually tend to favour MAC and Benefit type stuff but it seems lately I have less and less money to spend on frivolities and was wondering if anyone could recommend any decent cheap make up?
    Or is there even such a thing?
    My foundation is nearly out and I'm frantically searching for a more cost effective alternative!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

I've heard good things about Maybelline foundation, haven't used it myself though. Rimmel foundation is also good but they don't carry a shade light enough for me(ghost face!). I just got a great concealer palette yesterday, its similar in appearance to this: http://www.sephora.com/assets/dyn/product/P147417/P147417_hero.jpg , just without the second last shade. I can't make a comparison though because I haven't used the above one(Make Up Forever, $36 from sephora.com). The one I got cost 3.49e! It's from a french(I think) brand called Catrice. I'm really impressed with it so far, have used it both with and without foundation on underneath and it works well both ways! Hope that's a little help :) I LOVE a bargain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭IWishh

I've tried a good number of different kinds of expensive foundation and I always go back to No.7 mousse, its not very expensive, lasts aaages and covers really well!

Might be a bit out there but thought I'd suggest Everydayminerals.com if you like mineral makeup? You get a free sample kit so you can try out colours that has 3 foundations, a blusher and concealer of your choice for less than $5 postage. You can mix the foundation colours and it's not hard to find your shade (there's a guide to help people choose).

The real bargain is in the price of the full size products. A kit with 6 full size items (incl makeup brushes, blushes, foundations, eye shadows etc.) is $34, less than $6 a product and postage to Ireland was less than $10 for my last kit.

Buying makeup off the internet is a bit odd at first but it's such a bargain!

ETA: I used to use Lancome foundation, and I was converted by the quality of everyday minerals not its price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 underflowers

Penneys are stocking a range of makeup called Essence, only used the eyeliner and mascara so far but it seems fine and priced under a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Essence are a german brand that is pretty ok quality from everything I've tried anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭PlayGirl

i like miss sporty eyeliner, the pencil one.. dont use eyeliner much but i used it and thought it was good.. (approx E3)
    and essence eyebrow pencil.. (approx E3)
    and rimmel clear complexion powder (i use the 'translucent' one cause the others seem a bit orange to me, then again im v pale) (approx E6)
    and i used to love maybellene dream matte mouse, but my friend with dry skin hated it.. (approx E10-12)
    oh and i also used to really like rimmels revovery foundation .. cant remember if it stayed on well though? (approx E8)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭KatiexKOUTURE--

I just ran out of my MAC foundation so I headed into the chemist yesterday to see if I could find anything cheap to tide me over, so I picked up Max Factor Pan Stik.. It does the job but does come off very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Might be a bit out there but thought I'd suggest Everydayminerals.com if you like mineral makeup? You get a free sample kit so you can try out colours that has 3 foundations, a blusher and concealer of your choice for less than $5 postage. You can mix the foundation colours and it's not hard to find your shade (there's a guide to help people choose).

The real bargain is in the price of the full size products. A kit with 6 full size items (incl makeup brushes, blushes, foundations, eye shadows etc.) is $34, less than $6 a product and postage to Ireland was less than $10 for my last kit.

Buying makeup off the internet is a bit odd at first but it's such a bargain!

ETA: I used to use Lancome foundation, and I was converted by the quality of everyday minerals not its price!

+1. Everyday minerals is really good. They have plenty of yellow toned shades too which would be similar to MAC.I find the coverage excellent . I have intensive & matte foundations & just find them great. My skin is really good lately too, not any breakouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

I love Max Factor Colour Adapt. It goes on so nicely and doesnt leave your skin with that heavy, I've just plastered my face, feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Lolabugs

Penneys are stocking a range of makeup called Essence, only used the eyeliner and mascara so far but it seems fine and priced under a fiver.

I won a penneys liquid eyeliner in a hand-made cracker at a family members house at Christmas and havent looked back since.
    Absolutly LOVE it!!!
    It lasts aaaages, only bought another one there a few days ago and at E1.50..... Bargain!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Fyrinnae does very good mineral eyeshadows and blushers. Buy the samples, you get loads in them and they're only around €1. I've got over 100 of them and most are great. Postage is free on orders over $25, and I've never been charged customs charges, but it is possible.

I'm also a big fan of Boots 17 makeup. It's very cheap but pretty good quality. Used over a decent base (I use UDPP), their eyeshadows are very vibrant and last all day. There is a pretty limited colour range though. Their lipsticks come in loads of colours and go on well but their staying power isn't fantastic, you get an hour or two before you need to reapply. I strongly reccommend their 'Balmy Beige' lipstick, it's a perfect nude that's neither too brown nor too pink and isn't chalky.

For foundation try Bourjois. I've tried loads of different brands of foundation and I always go back to their 10 hour sleep effect one. It's medium coverage and looks very natural. Their pressed powder is ok too, but I find the lightest one a little too dark. Their pressed highlight powder is great, the one that looks like white chocolate. It looks very similar to MAC's vanilla pigment when it's on. I can't reccommend their Eau de gloss lipglosses enough, they're my favourite ever! Completely non-sticky but long lasting, it's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

PlayGirl wrote: »
    rimmel clear complexion powder (i use the 'translucent' one cause the others seem a bit orange to me, then again im v pale) (approx E6)

Love it, it's the one thing I always replace straight away before it runs out. Have been using it for donkeys years, have tried other powders including Mac but nothing can beat this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭LouLou1

Hi girls,

I find ebay the best for make-up, the brand names at lower prices and HQ hair for Hair products and creams....
    Have done this for a while now and never any problems...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I use loreal true match...although it has just gone up over €2 a piece in boots. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive gone back to buying Rimmel products. They have a great eyeliner out at the moment that goes on really easy and has a smudge brush and a parer at the end for ~€6. Their Super lash mascara is fab too. I also love Body Shops mineral foundation €20 and a new fav is Maybellines waterproof eyeshadow sticks that literally do stay on all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Can't fault this website:

http://www.eyeslipsface.co.uk/

eyes lips face, I've ordered nearly everything. Packaging is basic but sturdy but all products do as they say the nail varnish is extremely good.

With sterling as low as it is now it's even more of a bargan

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I think it's counterproductive to buy cheap foundation. Spending 25-35 euro on MAC/Benefit/Dior etc foundation means it will last maybe 6 months and will look better than cheapy rimmel/boots 17 type brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

eth0_ wrote: »
    I think it's counterproductive to buy cheap foundation. Spending 25-35 euro on MAC/Benefit/Dior etc foundation means it will last maybe 6 months and will look better than cheapy rimmel/boots 17 type brands.

I think depends on your skin really as to whether you can get away with wearing a cheaper foundation. The best foundations I've ever used are from Bourjois and Boots 17. Unfortunately the Boots 17 one that I liked is discontinued now and I've run out.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I just got myself the concealer pen in Aldi yesterday, and it's awesome!

Lidl are bringing out a new range of makeup in the next few weeks too.

Also, +1 on Fyrinnae, I've bought shadows from them a few times and they're lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mynameis..

i bought the aldi foundation lacura a few weeks ago, was a bit sceptcial at first as it was so cheap but have now let it replace my lancome teint idole foundation its that good! great coverage, lasts ages and no big price tag, plus i am goin to buy their concealer pen i read in a magazine its even better than ysl
    i wear rimmel to work, its ok but can leave skin dry

• Advertisement

I think spending 25-35 euro on foundation is ridiculous and unecessary. The purpose of make up is to even out skin tone and to be used sparingly, at the right shade and presuming it lasts the day/night something for a fiver would suffice.

mp1972 wrote: »
    I think spending 25-35 euro on foundation is ridiculous and unecessary. The purpose of make up is to even out skin tone and to be used sparingly, at the right shade and presuming it lasts the day/night something for a fiver would suffice.

You've obviously not used high end foundation, then.
    I used to use drugstore brand foundations until about 4 years ago when I tried MAC and i'd never go back. I have good skin and don't use a lot of foundation - an amount the size of a pea - but the difference is significant IMO. I also have quite pale skin and found it difficult to get cheap foundation that matched my skintone.

Nope. Ridiculous waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭TheIronyMaiden

I think it depends on the person tbh-some peoples skin suit different brands. It has a lot to do with application and the likes too I reckon.

But yeah, in the end I picked up some maybelline dream matt mousse stuff, I'm actually quite pleased with it ^__^ decent coverage, and I was out in the rain and everything :P

and yeah, whoever posted about the eyes lips face stuff, it's meant to be really good! I'll be taking full advantage of that website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

I used to use drugstore brand foundations until about 4 years ago when I tried MAC and i'd never go back. I have good skin and don't use a lot of foundation - an amount the size of a pea - but the difference is significant IMO. I also have quite pale skin and found it difficult to get cheap foundation that matched my skintone.
    I agree with you.. high end last sooo much longer .

me i have really annoying skin as it is allergic to lote , and double wear by estee lauder is the only thing that will agree with me... okay its expensive ,but i get about a years wear out of the pot, and that wearing it to work and out aswell

mp1972 wrote: »
    Nope. Ridiculous waste of money.

No it's not. My MAC foundation costs about £22 and lasts me at least 6 months. That's £3.66 a month - hardly breaking the bank!

No it's not. My MAC foundation costs about £22 and lasts me at least 6 months. That's £3.66 a month - hardly breaking the bank!

My Loreal cost me 12 euro and lasts me 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I think it depends on the person. MAC foundation looks ghastly on me, even when the sales assistants do it. It looks fake, caked on and makes me break out. Maybelline or Max Factor is perfect. I love MAC eyeshadows and eyeliners but for everything else I think the cheaper brands are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

I have really sensitive skin so i find i really must spend that bit extra on foundation but i really dont mind since i only use the bar minimal when going out, i use clinique and it does the job for me. I wear their tinted moisturieser (almost makeup) i think its called? during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Essence is Dunnes, their eyeliners etc are great but not mad on the foundations.

Advertisement