Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Weak Legs' dream

• 28-02-2009 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭

Hi everyone, just said i'd ask here about what this particular dream may mean..I've been having these dreams on and off for years, in some of my dreams my legs are just weak! I can't run, can hardly walk, its like every step is so tiring on my legs.Dreamt last nite that i was standing taking a piss and i just fell down cos my legs just got weak. Weird i know, but i'm interested to know what ye think..Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

I get the exact same dreams. Always wondered about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

Legs - Strong legs means confidence. Weak legs, the opposite.

http://en.mimi.hu/dreams/legs.html

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Strings.ie

I've had this dream on and off for many years. I'm often in a street with other people around and my legs just feel like they weight 5 tons. I just don't have the strength to move them. Its a most unpleasant feeling.

I'm not sure I buy into all these dream meanings but the fact that the dream reoccurs suggests something :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

cozmik wrote: »
    Legs - Strong legs means confidence. Weak legs, the opposite.

http://en.mimi.hu/dreams/legs.html

Bolix.

Sleep paralysis is the cause of the sensation you describe. It doesn't "mean" anything, it's a normal bodily function. It's like asking "what does taking a shyte mean". Nothing. Your body is just doing its thang.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

Overblood wrote: »
    Bolix.

Sleep paralysis is the cause of the sensation you describe. It doesn't "mean" anything, it's a normal bodily function. It's like asking "what does taking a shyte mean". Nothing. Your body is just doing its thang.

Bollix

Sleep paralysis has nothing at all to do with dreaming you legs feel weak whilst taking a piss. Possibly the silliest thing ive ever heard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

xyz1 wrote: »
    Bollix

Sleep paralysis has nothing at all to do with dreaming you legs feel weak whilst taking a piss.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say. Could you rephrase that? And maybe add some punctuation?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Maybe you're lying on your legs funny and the blood isnt getting to them, and as a result its coming through in your dream?

Alternatively, if it was my dream I might either look at it literally = are you having trouble standing on your own two feet? Or maybe its just a confidence thing and the dream only occurs when you're doubting yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

Overblood wrote: »
    I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say. Could you rephrase that? And maybe add some punctuation?

Apologies for the poor grammar. What I was saying is that sleep paralysis is NOT what this person is experiencing. You are 100% wrong if you think it is. Check out the Sleep paralysis/Hag phenomenon sticky if you would like to learn about sleep paralysis. Also I think a good summation of it can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

ive had that dream for years - my legs wont work or im trying to run fast and i can only run in slow motion - or im trying to run and my legs will not move - id love to know what it means - some one has to know what it means - other than taking the piss out of it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I get that dream a lot too, I'm trying to walk and I'm almost slumping to the ground with each step, and my knees are wonky, it's weeeeird :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Ahoy!

I also often get a similar 'weak legs' type of dream,but in my dreams im always getting chased by someone or something. I wonder what does it mean?Anyone know?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DreamMaster

Your legs stop working in dreams, The many interpretations and meanings you will find are ridiculous and varied and incorrect, The legs of a traveler will start to weaken at the end of a journey or point of exit from the place of the dreams happenings.In short you will start to feel weak legged as you are no longer able to remain in the world you are visiting and experiencing.The dream worlds are hard to remain in for extended periods of time and really if you have not been able to figure out alone this meaning your ability is there but limited.These are alternate realities and worlds and i would be happy to answer any questions pertaining to your dreams if you can impress me with a proper description of your most stand out or recurring adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The physiological theory about this is in relation to feedback. The process of moving your limbs involves many different sub-processes - it's not just about sending a signal to move the limb, it's about receiving feedback from that limb on what's happening after it moves. So when you grip something, the feedback tells you if it's hard/soft/grippy/slippy/hot/cold and then you respond appropriately to alter your movement to compensate.

Likewise when you walk, there's feedback from the limb about the state of the ground; is it even/slanted/bumpy? Is it hard or soft? Is it slippy? Is my body alanced correctly, how much weight is on this limb versus the other one, etc?

The theory is that in the dream state, the brain has difficulty imitating these feedback signals to itself. The body is paralysed so it can't generate them.

In general the brain can only imitate/replay feedback to a limited degree (hence why your vision is rarely crystal clear). The feeling of "moving" through space is easy to imitate. But when it comes to complicated feedback like walking - especially walking up stairs or running - your brain can't imitate this very well, only providing a small amount of feedback.

And the end result is that from your perspective you're trying to move your legs but very little is happening. The parts of your brain expecting feedback are only receiving very faint signals. So you end up feeling like you're walking through honey or that your legs simply aren't working.

Same as when you go to throw a punch and no matter how hard you try, you barely tap the other person. Because your body is only able to imitate the feedback with a fraction of the energy it would have in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DreamMaster

Thanks for the science lesson seamus, The fact you felt compelled to write this after I answered a 9 year old thread is compelling but lacking in understanding the full ramifications of what a dream state actually pertains to, This hardly explains every aspect or possibility held withing a dream for example if the person is flying in the air how is the brain supplying feedback to imitate this response? For as far as I am aware nobody here has the ability to fly.
    Your reply is one of someone who has not the ability to dream so you seek to destroy the sensation of others by likening it to a dog kicking its legs in its sleep dreaming of chasing a rabbit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,990 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

MOD: Ancient thread, but it will be allowed.

Advertisement