Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quoted €400 for discs and brakes on BWM 320D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

Anti wrote: »
    Sorry, but the brakes are probably the most important part of the car in all fairness. I'd personally much rather pay 400€ to a BMW garage to fit the discs and pads, than buy them on ebay and have some backstreet mechanic who is probbly only there as he failed his JC and LC.

This has do be one of the most ignorant posts i've read here.

If you think that the cost of labour equates to the quality of labour your deluded.

I have worked in the motor trade and some of the stuff that goes on in dealerships would surprise a lot of people as would the ignorance and apathy of a lot of the staff in there.

And as for the back street machanic comment, what makes you say that, do you think you need 600 points to become an apprentice in a BMW garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Hammertime wrote: »
    Oh the irony, not to quick on the answers yourself....

Did you just flame your self?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I can get full set of Mintex pads and discs for 100stg..

Again with the selective reading of posts.

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Did you just flame your self?

I was thinking the same myself.
    Hammertime, I hope you didn't flame yourself with your own quote earlier, cos you are putting forward a very good argument otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭LoveDucati2

DM-BM wrote: »
    This has do be one of the most ignorant posts i've read here.

If you think that the cost of labour equates to the quality of labour your deluded.

I have worked in the motor trade and some of the stuff that goes on in dealerships would surprise a lot of people as would the ignorance and apathy of a lot of the staff in there.

Well said

from personal experience as a mechanic most dealerships will be pawing the work off on some poor apprentice, who is only as good as the people who are training him.

• Advertisement

Well said

from personal experience as a mechanic most dealerships will be pawing the work off on some poor apprentice, who is only as good as the people who are training him.

If your not goign to back up your price claims would you not at least say so?

Stekelly wrote: »

FFS

Any F*ckin moron who uses forums should be able to use ebay and check for themselves, I bought my parts already, I know the price I paid, read the f*ckin post by another who quotes the price and site he used.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Any F*ckin moron who uses forums should be able to use ebay and check for themselves, I bought my parts already, I know the price I paid, read the f*ckin post by another who quotes the price and site he used.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

So thats a no then?

If you've already bought them then it's even easier, you dotn even have to go looking.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,567 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

well if so, even you should be able to manage it? making laughable claims, not backing them up then throwing a hissy fit isn't normally the sign of anyone who knows what they are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

So if the apprentice is working under the supervision of the master technician, he's as good?!

@ OP - if it's a reputable garage and the cost covers labour along with putting new pads and discs on each wheel it's pretty good. The bmw's have a set of shoes for the handbrake so check if these will be replaced as well - if the discs are being replaced, you're as well to have these renewed as well.

So thats a no then?

If you've already bought them then it's even easier, you dotn even have to go looking.

I have read a lot of your posts and TBH ....

13,000+ posts, all f*ckin air and pointless +1's.

The link is in an earlier post in this thread

The link is in an earlier post in this thread

Still no link?

We are talking about your claim of a full set of Mintex discs and pads for a 320D for stg£100.

Would also like to c the prices.

When i bought new disks, bradid hoses and mintex extreme pads for a Impreza they cost me roughly 400 euro off ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

What's that got to do with anything?

Stick to the topic (and post a link to the prices you quote)

So if the apprentice is working under the supervision of the master technician, he's as good?!

I was only making a comment on training.
    The bmw's have a set of shoes for the handbrake so check if these will be replaced as well - if the discs are being replaced, you're as well to have these renewed as well.

This is a good point, just make sure they show you how to adjust them, because you will need to after a few weeks.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-320-D-325-328-E46-FRONT-BRAKE-DISCS-MINTEX-PADS_W0QQitemZ370158590106QQihZ024QQcategoryZ10374QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-320-320D-323-E46-REAR-BRAKE-DISCS-MINTEX-PADS-8_W0QQitemZ320321522370QQihZ011QQcategoryZ10374QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Well u backed it up.

They seem awfully cheap though.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Anti wrote: »
    Sorry, but the brakes are probably the most important part of the car in all fairness. I'd personally much rather pay 400€ to a BMW garage to fit the discs and pads, than buy them on ebay and have some backstreet mechanic who is probbly only there as he failed his JC and LC.

I have to say its not often I suffer from subtlety issues :) sorry about that. I was merely attempting to maintain the standard set by loveducati.

from personal experience as a mechanic

But you claim to be an accountant too.

A mechanic might have some idea of the costs to run a business, an accountant should.

So lets see if I have this right. First you were a mechanic, then you became an accountant and finally you qualified as an internet troll.

Well done, you have 4 pages out of it so far and I would guess its not over yet.

Well u backed it up.

They seem awfully cheap though.

Thanks for the comment, I have the parts so I knew exactly.

These are exactly the same parts that some dealers are using here.

When I see a garage charging 400 quid, (150 labour and 250 parts) it drives me insane.

I know the job in a proper garage with ramp and all the tools should take an hour to 1 1/2 hrs or a little bit more if you have problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

nice find i'll be getting a few bit's from that crowd.

• Advertisement

I have to say its not often I suffer from subtlety issues :) sorry about that. I was merely attempting to maintain the standard set by loveducati.

But you claim to be an accountant too.

A mechanic might have some idea of the costs to run a business, an accountant should.

So lets see if I have this right. First you were a mechanic, then you became an accountant and finally you qualified as an internet troll.

Well done, you have 4 pages out of it so far and I would guess its not over yet.

Here we go again:D

I have proved my point and provided a link

Can we please just address the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

These are exactly the same parts that some dealers are using here.

Now you're definately talking cr*p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

Just one thing to notice on the eBay ads above, is that it does not state the manufacturer of the discs, only the pads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Now you're definately talking cr*p

How is he talking crap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

cork45 wrote: »
    How is he talking crap?

What BMW dealer uses Mintex pads & discs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

What BMW dealer uses Mintex pads & discs?
    moleyC wrote: »
    Just one thing to notice on the eBay ads above, is that it does not state the manufacturer of the discs, only the pads.

So they may not even be Mintex

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Just to set the record straight, €400 was for the pads and discs to be replaced on all four wheels.

The garage in question is not a main dealer.

Many thanks for all your advice lads - I'm really sorry the thread has degenerated into a squabblefest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

I got this job done about 15K miles ago on a 323ci
    Cost €225. Screeched like a banshee, even after bringing it back to Advance where they "applied grease". They were screeching within 50 miles.
    I put up with it until they started to grind and replaced the pads with a back street guy during a service. "Gimme the best you can get".

No problems since. I've done about 1000 miles on them. I don't have a parts cost but I'd say €300 would have seen the job done properly in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

DubTony wrote: »
    I got this job done about 15K miles ago on a 323ci
    Cost €225.
    DubTony wrote: »
    No problems since. I've done about 1000 miles on them.
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

guil07 wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did you have a point?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement