Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit where credit is due...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

5uspect wrote: »
    Don't some ants farm termites?
    They do, but they don't selectively breed characteristics into them. ie. they don't direct the evolutionary process.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Actually it is accidental since animals (other than man) don't engage in husbandry.

??

we're at cross purposes perhaps? genes can program embryos intop adults who can succesfully reproduce and dominate the gene pool, this is not accidental. Chance cannot explain life. Design is as bad an explanation as chance because it raises bigger questions than it answers.

stevejazzx wrote: »
    ??

we're at cross purposes perhaps? genes can program embryos intop adults who can succesfully reproduce and dominate the gene pool, this is not accidental. Chance cannot explain life. Design is as bad an explanation as chance because it raises bigger questions than it answers.
    No it is accidental, random variances occur whose characteristics may become dominate though external factors.
    But the point I'm making is that it's not in any way directed, there's no plan.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

They do, but they don't selectively breed characteristics into them. ie. they don't direct the evolutionary process.

Not consciously, no. But the genetic makeup of termites is no more immune to the actions of the ants than those of an antelope and a lion. An ant colony with a strong predisposition to farm termites will be more successful. A termite that is easily farmed in such a colony will further direct the evolutionary process.

Now I agree humans have consciously modified many species to their own needs (in increasingly extraordinary ways) but this surely began along similar lines to every thing else we see in nature?

It is not just chance but a complex trajectory from slightly different initial conditions. Our particular trajectory (via each generation) has led to us developing complex rituals perhaps no different to mating rituals in other animals. Has our self consciousness has led us to rationalise the emotions within us that normally serve biological purposes and has this caused its own internal arms race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

No it is accidental, random variances occur whose characteristics may become dominate though external factors.
    But the point I'm making is that it's not in any way directed, there's no plan.

Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators -

so it's complicated, far more so than a religous person finding themselves in an advantageous evolutionary position wihtout any notion of such.

• Advertisement

stevejazzx wrote: »
    Life results from the non-random survival of randomly varying replicators -

so it's complicated, far more so than a religous person finding themselves in an advantageous evolutionary position wihtout any notion of such.
    no ones saying its not complicated :) I think we're saying the same thing just putting a different emphasis on the entropy which typically initiates the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

no ones saying its not complicated :) I think we're saying the same thing just putting a different emphasis on the entropy which typically initiates the process.
    I think I agree, I'm just not clear on what the entropy which typically initiates the process means.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

MrPudding wrote: »
    It goes on and on. It really is the most incredible self confirming, unquestionable, untestable, unfalsifiable, questioning intolerant racket I have ever come across. All credit to whoever thought it up. They really have thought of everything.

I was thinking along the same lines this weekend, I was reading "The Fall of the Roman Empire" and had gotten to the sack of Rome by Alaric and the Goths in 410 AD. Following the sacking the pagan Romans used the event as proof that the Christian God was a false one and the true pagan gods had abandoned the city to punish it for converting to this new faith. St Augustine countered this by writing "The City of God" in which he argued that Rome was just another earthly city and was not particularly special in the greater scheme of things.

This is all well and good except when you compare it to the Christian reaction to the destruction of the Jewish city of Jerusalem by the Romans. Christians used this as proof that God was displeased with the Jews for not accepting Jesus as the Messiah and so had the city destroyed as punishment.

I thought this really is just another case of a religion shifting the goal posts so they can't be argued against.

-Jewish Jerusalem being attacked is proof of God abandoning and punishing the Jews

-Christian Rome being attacked is NOT proof of the Roman gods abandoning and punishing the Romans.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Charco wrote: »
    I thought this really is just another case of a religion shifting the goal posts so they can't be argued against.
    Gibbon put it nicely in chapter 16:
    Gibbon wrote:
    if the Tiber had, or if the Nile had not, risen beyond its banks [...] the superstitious Pagans were convinced that [...] the Christians [...] had at length provoked the Divine justice.
    Shoes, other feet and all that.

Advertisement