Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patricks Day Parade

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

anplaya wrote: »
    its the same thing year in year out at the st patricks day parade in wford,only thing good was the weather ,people see things in a different light when its not pissing down ,doubt ya wudda have enjoyed it that much then. every1s entitled to their own opinion eh,we are livin in a democracy after all.

Grand so, just a shame the typical opinion of many people in Waterford is "it was ****e" about anything that ever happens in the town.....nice to see some pride in the place :rolleyes:

If you don't think its good then get involved in it and change it and improve it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

Cabaal wrote: »
    Grand so, just a shame the typical opinion of many people in Waterford is "it was ****e" about anything that ever happens in the town.....nice to see some pride in the place :rolleyes:

If you don't think its good then get involved in it and change it and improve it,

dont get me wrong the skyfest was quite good,had a great view of that,spraoi is generally very good as was the tall ships.i just think paddys day parade is the same year in year out.

dont think one person can make that much of a change:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Bards

dont get me wrong the skyfest was quite good,had a great view of that,spraoi is generally very good as was the tall ships.i just think paddys day parade is the same year in year out.

You won't know until you try

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

thats the mentality that means nothing is changed in waterford and you continue to think its ****, of course one person can make a difference

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

thats the mentality that means nothing is changed in waterford and you continue to think its ****, of course one person can make a difference

If I could give you more than one thumbs up for that comment I would....

couldn't hacve said it better...
    one person can make all the differenc, as stated, it you thinks is ****e, well get involved and try to change it...

• Advertisement

robtri wrote: »

one person can make all the differenc, as stated, it you thinks is ****e, well get involved and try to change it...

have ya not read what i said?your entitled to your opinion,i to mine.if ya read other replies earlier in the thread,they dissed the parade as the same old thing even before it began,o its not just me who feels that way.theres supposedly a recession goin on in this country,why are we wasting it on parades anyway?

yeah where am i gonna get the money from to change it?the money tree?:rolleyes:

robtri wrote: »

jump on the bandwagon why dont ya:rolleyes:

anplaya, ah yes the recession, I guess to save money we should
    - cancel spraoi
    - Not put up christmas decorations
    - cancel st patricks parade
    - cancel any sporting home coming events
    etc

Then you'll really have something to complain about, you don't need to personally put any money towards it, you could just give your time...that costs feck all and its better spent then watching the TV imho

anplaya, ah yes the recession, I guess to save money we should
    - cancel spraoi
    - Not put up christmas decorations
    - cancel st patricks parade
    - cancel any sporting home coming events
    etc

Then you'll really have something to complain about, you don't need to personally put any money towards it, you could just give your time...that costs feck all and its better spent then watching the TV imho

my god your really takin this personally lol,ya on the parade organising commitee or something?.doesnt bother me if parade gets better/worse.just gave my opinion,nothing special.the weather was lovely,that was a bonus.

never mentioned watching the tv,figment of your imagination,amongst with other things ya mentioned above. fyi i already do some volunteer work with the meningitis trust and special olympics ireland.

my god your really takin this personally lol,ya on the parade organising commitee or something?.doesnt bother me if parade gets better/worse.just gave my opinion,nothing special.the weather was lovely,that was a bonus.

Not taking it personally, just think its abit pointless that you'll bitch about the parade being crap but you don't seem to be prepared to help improve it and when your challenged further you think its a waste of money anyway.

For the record I have nothing in anyway to do with the parade or Waterford city council I just think its a joke that so many people come out of the woodwork to complain and bitch about the place in which they live but they are not prepared to help change it....and yet they often claim to have pride in the county/city they live in.
    never mentioned watching the tv,figment of your imagination,

I know you didn't, it was simple an example of how some one could use their time
    fyi i already do some volunteer work with the meningitis trust and special olympics ireland.

Thats great for you, both are worthwhile causes/events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

jump on the bandwagon why dont ya:rolleyes:
    have ya not read what i said?your entitled to your opinion,i to mine.if ya read other replies earlier in the thread,they dissed the parade as the same old thing even before it began,o its not just me who feels that way.theres supposedly a recession goin on in this country,why are we wasting it on parades anyway?

yeah where am i gonna get the money from to change it?the money tree?:rolleyes:

I never said anything about your opinions, I am justa greeing with cabaal...
    instead of sitting there like a two year old whining,
    get off your ass and do something.......

where are you going to get the money...well if you took the advice and got of your ass, and got involved with the people/groups that organise the parade, you would be in a postion to use the current funding to support your idea's for change.....

some people aren't happy unless they have something to moan at.....

i aint moaning,ye two thought it was good,i thought it was same as any other year bar the weather was good.different opinions is all.this cud go on all day.better off just talking about the parade rather than our personal opinions of it.whatever ye say to me doesnt change my opinion that the parade wasnt great.as i said i dont moan about every thing that goes n in wford,skyfest,sproai,tall shippes,theyre great.paddys day parade more for kids than adults imo,maybe thats y its **** to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

I have to 100% disagree with you here.

This year I went about getting the organisation I'm involved in to march in the parade. Last year I watched the Waterford City one and I was impressed at the turnout. I had a friend over from Norway and he really enjoyed it, it was his first time seeing the parade. So this year I felt it would be good to take part in my hometown parade, the org I'm in hadn't marched since 1996. When I first announced it at a meeting less than 3 weeks ago I got mixed feedback. Then I personally approached everyone individually and motivated them to get involved, within a short time I had all seniors backing me and saying they would take part. Some people were reluctant to march and dont like been in publin eye as everyone would be looking at you, but we worked these things out.
    The only thing it cost me was my spare time, a few phone calls, petrol to collect vehicles, wash them that morning at a friends house and that was it.
    I had 12 out marching (not walking) in uniform and two vehicles (2 drivers) which wasnt bad considering we have 16 members in my hometown.

Taking part in the parade is a good form of community spirit, it can help bring in new members and when you take part with your team it helps burst morale.

There was 2 cynical guys (ah we will look stupid, you wont get enough, blah blah blah) in the group who cheesed me off from the beginning and constantly said smart comments (they had the smirky little smile on them) and sliently jeered the work I was trying to do and also posioned others into not marching by making fun of it which pissed me off big time, hit a raw nerve for me. They ended up taking part on the day last minute, but I think they did it because everyone else was doing it.

If you want to make a change you make the effort. Nothing happens with no effort, dont assume someone else will do things, maybe others dont have time and have other busy things on in their life. If you have the time and energy volunteer to organise it. It is very easy to sit on the sidelines and comment saying we should do this and that and look at how bad this is and blah blah blah. If you want to see St Patricks Day Parade work you take part, many different ways to take part, you dont necessarily have be marching but you can help organise to make it work. There will always be stuff in the parade that is not the best, personally i dislike the fleet of business vehicles, but dont let that ruin your idea or trying to make it better.

Unfortunately I couldnt attend to see the Waterford Citys Parade but I heard it was good from a few friends.

well baronflyguy,thats fair play to ya on that, im not knocking you on it,you seemed to have done a good job what with your critics and all.

im just saying to me personally i think its the same year in year out,i think its more for the kids enjoyment rather than adults,maybe when i have a few of my own ill think different,but im entitled to my opinion about it,some lads i know thought it was great ,others not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

well baronflyguy,thats fair play to ya on that, im not knocking you on it,you seemed to have done a good job what with your critics and all.

im just saying to me personally i think its the same year in year out,i think its more for the kids enjoyment rather than adults,maybe when i have a few of my own ill think different,but im entitled to my opinion about it,some lads i know thought it was great ,others not.

Could you give some suggestions about what could have been done differently? I know it's your opinion that there was nothing new, but it must be pretty frustrating for organisers to hear people express negative opinions and not give clear suggestions for improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I remember the old parades in Waterford when everyone and their mother used to march. Every Scout and Girl Guide troup, almost every business marched, there was 4 or 5 marching bands, the Civil Defense, the Army, play groups, Martial Arts groups, Irish Dancing groups, It started up in the L&N marched up to Bally bricken down into the glen, down Bridge Street the whole lenght of the quay and disperissed at Muldoons. It was massive.

But as the years have gone by I have noticed the delcine of the Girl Guide Troups with the Scouts allowing girls to join, I have seen fewer and fewer bands to the point that the parade is now not what it used to be. I don't know what you'd call it lack of interest, afraid people will mock you or what. But there has been a decline in the numbers attending. both as spectators and participants.

It's also a case of ah remember the good ole days... and a small part (the good part) of that needs to be brought right into the future.

I certainly don't agree with Anplaya's mentality or opinion.

trishw78 wrote: »
    I remember the old parades in Waterford when everyone and their mother used to march. Every Scout and Girl Guide troup, almost every business marched, there was 4 or 5 marching bands, the Civil Defense, the Army, play groups, Martial Arts groups, Irish Dancing groups, It started up in the L&N marched up to Bally bricken down into the glen, down Bridge Street the whole lenght of the quay and disperissed at Muldoons. It was massive.

But as the years have gone by I have noticed the delcine of the Girl Guide Troups with the Scouts allowing girls to join, I have seen fewer and fewer bands to the point that the parade is now not what it used to be. I don't know what you'd call it lack of interest, afraid people will mock you or what. But there has been a decline in the numbers attending. both as spectators and participants.

It's also a case of ah remember the good ole days... and a small part (the good part) of that needs to be brought right into the future.

I certainly don't agree with Anplaya's mentality or opinion.

i didnt ask ya to agree with me or not,am i not allowed to say what i think all of a sudden?if you thought it was good,fine,im not going to argue/disagree.youre entitled to your opinion.

Advertisement