Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sit the leaving cert with a laptop?

Options
  • 26-02-2009 2:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

hi, im new.
    just to make things clear, im in 5th year.
    well ever since i was a young lad my handwriting has been absolutely atrocious, and the doctor has diagnosed me with a very mild case of dispraxia, which means my hand muscles get tight and i find it really hard to write legibly. im grand for the first 30 seconds but after that it's just scribble.
    now my head teacher told me today i could sit the LC on a laptop (except for maths and french for obvious reasons) and basically told me "get a laptop and start doing your schoolwork on it" and im fine with that, it makes things much easier for me as i can type a lot faster than i can write anyway.

but i have been thinking about the actual exam sitting and wondering a few things:

am i going to be allowed bring my own laptop into the exams? surely not?
    would i have to take the exams in a room on my own?
    would there be someone there looking over my shoulder throughout the exams?

tl;dr: ive been told i can use a laptop for the leaving cert, questions above.

i would ask the head this, but ive my litle bro's confirmation tomorrow and it's gonna be gnawing at me.

thanks guys! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

now my head teacher told me today i could sit the LC on a laptop (except for maths and french for obvious reasons) and basically told me "get a laptop and start doing your schoolwork on it" and im fine with that, it makes things much easier for me as i can type a lot faster than i can write anyway.

but i have been thinking about the actual exam sitting and wondering a few things:

am i going to be allowed bring my own laptop into the exams? surely not?
    would i have to take the exams in a room on my own?
    would there be someone there looking over my shoulder throughout the exams?

I had a friend who broke a bone in his right (writing) wrist and had it in a cast. By the time the exams came around the cast was gone but he had a terrible time writing. He had a laptop and used it throughout the exams. Was a huge help.

As far as I know, you'll be supplied with a laptop. Your own laptop could contain saved answers etc.
    Yes imo - you'll be in a room on your own or with someone else who migh need a laptop.
    I took some exams in an individiual room (I've a hearing problem) and the superviser over my shoulder or sit beside me etc. There'd be a supervisor there I think.

I suggest you ask around more get more information, ask more about it to your teachers, parents etc.
    The sooner you can get this implemented the better it will be by the time the exams come around.

I might be wrong and it may seem vague but it's all I have!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

my mate broke his hand at the JC

There was a scribe and tape recorder there.
    He simply said his answers aloud and the scribe wrote em down.
    would that not be easier than a laptop no?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

When your exam entry is being submitted, your school's Exam Secretary will contact the Reasonable Accommodation section in the SEC in Athlone and they will look at the details of your case and decide whether you are entitled to a scribe or alternative arrangements.

You will need a fair bit of documentation backing up your application so make sure you have more than just a doctor's note. Your school should be able to arrange appropriate testing, though with all the cut backs you might have to go private for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

You're in a different room, someone most likely wont be looking over your shoulder but theyll be there.

If you do the exams on your own laptop (And not say a school computer) Ive heard that they disable everything that isnt nessecary.

Why couldnt you do french? Maths I understand, but French no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

My hand is often cramped (making it impossible to write) halfway through a history exam. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

Fad wrote: »
    You're in a different room, someone most likely wont be looking over your shoulder but theyll be there.

If you do the exams on your own laptop (And not say a school computer) Ive heard that they disable everything that isnt nessecary.

Why couldnt you do french? Maths I understand, but French no.

well that kindof sucks, i was hoping i'd be able to stick in a wireless network card or a memory stick :p

because it takes ages to type in
    é â è ê
    etc. etc.

é â è ê
    etc. etc.

It doesnt really, one of my mates is doing it, and if he can manage surely you can.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Don't take it as a given that you'll get a laptop rather than a scribe/tape.
    You may well, but I wouldn't count on it until it's been granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

well theres also the fill in the blank questions to think about.
    and how the hell does he type out those letters quickly? i have to go into the character map...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

well theres also the fill in the blank questions to think about.
    and how the hell does he type out those letters quickly? i have to go into the character map...
    press

alt gr + the vowel you want the accent on ie:

alt gr + e = é

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

press

alt gr + the vowel you want the accent on ie:

alt gr + e = é

There's four types of accent in french. afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

And there are quick ways to do the other ones, too. : ) Well, I only know the à and é ones off the top of my head, but eh, keyboards are not solely designed for English-speakers. : p

And there are quick ways to do the other ones, too. : ) Well, I only know the à and é ones off the top of my head, but eh, keyboards are not solely designed for English-speakers. : p

I know how to do é but how do you have the accent going the other way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

clearly you can't do this, i mean why could you? no sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

anladmór wrote: »
    clearly you can't do this, i mean why could you? no sorry

Well, if (s)he has a valid medical condition that seems like a pretty good reason why he should be allowed?

bythewoods wrote: »
    Well, if (s)he has a valid medical condition that seems like a pretty good reason why he should be allowed?

Yer man obviously didnt read the thread...........

I know how to do é but how do you have the accent going the other way?
    Press the button to the left of your 1 key, then press the relevant vowel.

Did you do exactly as I specified? It's just two button presses... I have no idea how you're getting é, if anything it should be `e (which will result if you press space between the keystrokes).
    But sure it could be some keyboard difference or something, I don't know. That's just how I do it.

Press the button to the left of your 1 key, then press the relevant vowel.

I get this e§ or §e, damn mac keyboard I know how to but ƒ, µ, ©,*ß, etc, but not and accent going the other way.

Thanks anyway though, this needs for furthur investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Ah, yeah, that only works for Windows. Look it up, I'm sure it's not particularly hard. :D

• Advertisement

You didn't mention you were on a mac. Jesus. I can't speak to you again, I'm sorry.

*backs away, then makes a break for it*

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

èasy :pac:

You didn't mention you were on a mac. Jesus. I can't speak to you again, I'm sorry.

*backs away, then makes a break for it*

I'm sowwee.

If I make a partition and install Ubuntu will talk to me again? (My free Ubuntu came in the post during the week and Im itching to trying out)

I'm sowwee.

If I make a partition and install Ubuntu will talk to me again? (My free Ubuntu came in the post during the week and Im itching to trying out)
    Hm... very well.

Hm... very well.

I need to back/clean up my hard drive before I go near boot camp though.

I'll get there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

well that kindof sucks, i was hoping i'd be able to stick in a wireless network card or a memory stick :p

é â è ê
    etc. etc.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:Huh Cheater!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Just Kidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Beau x1

OP, I'm like you. You have to go to an occupational therapist and do some bµllshít test/report and then get your school to send it off to the examinations commission.

I do OL Irish/OL/French/OL Maths on paper. OL Irish because it's a joke and I can't make up words and stuff on the laptop, seems more obvious. OL French because the exam is piss and there's not much point in using a laptop for it. HL Economics/HL English/HL Geography/HL Business all on the laptop. I use the answer book to draw diagrams when I need to and then on the laptop write FIG X and then get them to refer to the answer book for said diagrams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You might get a laptop or a scribe. If you have a laptop it will be provided and I think the only function you can use is the writing one. There'll be an invigilator with you, probably sitting at the top of the classroom, not looking over your shoulder. If you have a scribe s/he will be sitting beside you taking down your answers, s/he will probably be your invigilator to save money.

Wow, I'd expect if you had a laptop they'd be staring at your screen the whole time... otherwise the laptop would have to be really secure. >.>

• Advertisement

Wow, I'd expect if you had a laptop they'd be staring at your screen the whole time... otherwise the laptop would have to be really secure. >.>

I can barely google something with someone gawking over my shoulder, dunno how Id manage an essay.

Apparently they just lock everything except a word processor or note pad. (No spell check >_<)

Advertisement