Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weetabix-Good or Bad?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,
    Was just wondering if this cereal is good or bad for a person trying to lose weight. I`ve heard conflicting opinions on it so far
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I guess what you need to do is look at the calorie content, then look at the amount of sugar contained. Cereals tend to be pretty high in sugar, although I'm not sure about Weetabix. If its low enough, then you are OK. Part of a calorie controlled diet, then OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

porridge or another oat based cereal would be the best but if you have to eat something quick weetabix is a good choice ... some people will say its bad but its not when compared to others like corn flakes + rice krispies etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Yeah, best of the bad bunch of cereals, has a little added sugar, very little compared to others. It is a lot better than some others that people would preume are good, like bran flakes which are about 22% sugar. I say tesco "healthy living" sultana bran, over 30% sugar....

Porridge oats are still best, and no need to make porridge with them, I never do anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

rubadub wrote: »
    Yeah, best of the bad bunch of cereals, has a little added sugar, very little compared to others. It is a lot better than some others that people would preume are good, like bran flakes which are about 22% sugar. I say tesco "healthy living" sultana bran, over 30% sugar....

Porridge oats are still best, and no need to make porridge with them, I never do anymore.

I eat weetabix most mornings, I was just wondering when you say you dont make porridge with the oats what do you make? I like porridge but I find it slow enough to make when Im in a hurry. Ty

ontour wrote: »
    when you say you dont make porridge with the oats what do you make?
    I usually mix the oats with strawberry whey protein powder and milk and just eat it cold. Muesli is just porridge oats and nuts & dried fruit, I also mix a tiny bit of honey or maple syrup with milk and just put the oats in.

I also liquidise the oats up with milk & egg to make pancakes, you can blend up oats dry and store the flour to make pancakes. Easy way to get kids eating a decent breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

just on porridge, i could never make this before.. but Flahavans and Odlums now have single serving packets..i find them brilliant and its literally in to a bowl, add milk, 2mins in microwave.

i do it every morning on a 15min break and have plenty of time to eat it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

If you're eating anything with less calories than two weetabix for breakfast then you're not eating enough! Seriously though - of course it's a good breakfast if you're on a diet. Put some chopped fruit like kiwi on it - you won't be hungry again til lunchtime guranteed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

On the subject of Weetabix... I'd tend to have Oatibix a lot, usually with a banana sliced in. Is there much of a difference nutritionally between Weetabix and Oatibix? I have it in my head that I should avoid eating too much wheat, but I'm not entirely sure where this came from.

*Dallas wrote: »
    just on porridge, i could never make this before.. but Flahavans and Odlums now have single serving packets..i find them brilliant and its literally in to a bowl, add milk, 2mins in microwave.
    Those packs cost a lot more though, I microwave regular porridge. If you leave it steep overnight in the fridge it soaks up the milk/water and cooks better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

You can buy big tubs of the microwavable porridge in supermarkets, single servings are a waste of money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

taram wrote: »
    You can buy big tubs of the microwavable porridge in supermarkets, single servings are a waste of money.

Sorry I realize this thread is from 2009 but i'm just wondering is microwavable porridge much worse than normal oats? It's so handy when i'm in a rush for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Holyjebus

NotExactly wrote: »
    Sorry I realize this thread is from 2009 but i'm just wondering is microwavable porridge much worse than normal oats? It's so handy when i'm in a rush for college.

I microwave the regular porridge oats and it's lovely. 1/2 cup of oats to 1 cup of water/milk. I make it fully with milk and it fills me for hours.
    Microwave for 2.5 mins and leave to sit for 1 min.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭kate.m

It's really handy to make it the night before - cook it for like 5-10 mins the night before and leave it soak overnight.

We have a serving for 5 people so I make a enough the night before. The next morning just take however much you need and put it in the bowl and microwave it for 30sec-1min to heat. It's much thicker than if you just do it in the microwave that morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

cliffy300 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Was just wondering if this cereal is good or bad for a person trying to lose weight. I`ve heard conflicting opinions on it so far

I'm far from an expert in this area, but in my opinion, if you are trying to lose weight, assuming your not having a fry everyday, breakfast should be one of the last places to look for calorie savings. If you like weetabix and it keeps you going until lunch without the need for a top up of chocolate at 11 o'clock, then stick with it for now. You will see better gains(or losses as the case may be), by targeting your lunch and dinner eating habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭nhg

Porridge is really yummy when made with soya milk & I usually stir in some ground seeds, glad the morning are starting to get colder again so that I can start back to it

Advertisement