Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benefits of not drinking

Options
  • 23-02-2009 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm about to give up alcohol for Lent (and possibly longer, depending on how it goes.) My main reasons are: to lose a bit of weight (I'm only slightly overweight, but alcohol is SO fattening), to hopefully raise my energy levels as I'm extremely sluggish these days, and to concentrate more on college as I'm in final year.

I don't drink much (for a student :rolleyes:) - maybe the equivalent of 1-2 bottles of wine a week, and often not even that much. I have to say I'll miss it though, and will probably find it pretty tough!!!

Anyone got any motivational experiences etc for me at all? When you stopped drinking, what benefits/changes did you find?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

Well I've lost half a stone since I packed it in in 3 and a half months. I no longer have to contend with struggling to get through the day with a hangover. General fitness level is up - still could be better mind you, but those 3 benefits are the main ones you feel straight away, there's also the long term health benefits.

Not that I want to discourage you or anything, but 1 to 2 bottles of wine in a week isn't much unless it's at 1 sitting of course :). So perhaps there are other reasons for your lethargy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

Oh cool I think even if I lost just a couple of pounds to begin with it would motivate me to keep off the stuff!! I'll have to be awful careful though not to start pigging out on chocolate and crap to replace the drink.

Did you find it difficult to stay off it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 daaaaaaavehow

i became very stale

• Moderators Posts: 51,733 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

aoibhebree wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm about to give up alcohol for Lent (and possibly longer, depending on how it goes.) My main reasons are: to lose a bit of weight (I'm only slightly overweight, but alcohol is SO fattening), to hopefully raise my energy levels as I'm extremely sluggish these days, and to concentrate more on college as I'm in final year.

I don't drink much (for a student :rolleyes:) - maybe the equivalent of 1-2 bottles of wine a week, and often not even that much. I have to say I'll miss it though, and will probably find it pretty tough!!!

Anyone got any motivational experiences etc for me at all? When you stopped drinking, what benefits/changes did you find?

Much the same experience as luckylucky. I used to suffer with bad hangovers, so the weekend would almost be only 1 day to me. Stopping drinking gave me more energy and help me feel a bit fitter.

A poor diet could also be part of the reason for low energy levels, at least it was for me.

If you can read this, you're too close!

Did you find it difficult to stay off it?

At times yeah. The most difficult time for me is when I'm out and people are having their first drink and I'm not, once I get through that first 30 minutes or so it no longer bothers me, and it doesn't radically affect my personality - I still make all the same obnoxious and disparaging comments that I did when I was p1ssed :D. I hope to get totally beyond the stage that I no longer have any desire for a drink. I'm not there yet tbh. The last time that I really really wanted a drink was about a week ago when we had friends over for dinner. I wanted one so much that I used the desire in my favour. I thought to myself if I want one that bad then it's even more reason not to have one, and in a strange kinda way that killed off that urge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭RealEstateKing

only having a couple of glasses of wine every now and then, then you probably wont notice any difference at all.

But the benefits for me were:

Improved mood in general, fewer black pits of depression descending out of nowhere. Rarely have "Blue Mondays" or "Black Tuesdays" now.

Have more fun at parties and enjoy the weekend much more. The weekend is for the outdoors.

Renewed interest in things Id lost interest in.

I Do things when I say I will now.

Have to say I was dissapointed with the weight aspect though. I was putting away 7000 extra calories a week in alchohol, and eating ****e to go with it, but giving up didnt make me lose a single pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭dave.omeara

One benefit is definitely in the fitness stakes. I go playing soccer every weekend, and generally am able to keep up a pretty good constant level throughout. And even when I play on Friday nights as well, I'm still well able for a game on the Saturday.

Also there is the financial benefits as well. It's nice to be able to afford things. Or save up for a cool summer holiday somewhere.

There are many benefits to not having a drink, some obvious and some you'll probably only realise after a while not drinking.

Just to update - week 1 over and I've lost 3 pounds, woohoo, and that's despite substituting alcohol with large quantities of smoothies and chocolate!! The goal for this week is to cut down on those a bit and see if I can lose even more!

Energy levels are up a LOT. And just general concentration levels, getting a lot more done as regards college work.

Sleeping better - did not expect that.

And, without going into details, my digestive system seems to be working a little better.

So I'm happy ... might even keep up this non-drinking lark after Lent :D

(Still taking a day off for St Patricks Day though ... who am I to fly in the face of tradition?!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Just to update - week 1 over and I've lost 3 pounds
    Not to crap on ur party but that seems odd, you should have actually gained a bit from not drinkin, as alcohol lowers ur Body Water %
    (Still taking a day off for St Patricks Day though ... who am I to fly in the face of tradition?!)
    Isnt that the whole problem with drinkin in Ireland today? Pressure from the general public that you HAVE to drink, and if you dont, you're a weirdo

Anyways, congrats on the health boost

unreggd wrote: »
    Not to crap on ur party but that seems odd, you should have actually gained a bit from not drinkin, as alcohol lowers ur Body Water %

Yeah? Well I don't know how it works but I'm not complaining :D Been going to the gym a good bit the last few weeks too so that's probably partly to blame too! But anyways I didn't drink a whole lot in the first place, so I doubt it would have had too much of an effect on my body water % thingy.

Isnt that the whole problem with drinkin in Ireland today? Pressure from the general public that you HAVE to drink, and if you dont, you're a weirdo

Ah I know, I kind of meant it a bit tongue in cheek. Not planning on going too mad on Paddy's Day, will just have the few.

Anyways, congrats on the health boost

Why thank you!

• Advertisement

First I've heard about alcohol lowering your weight :confused:. I presume you mean in the short term coz of the dehydrating effect = lowering your Body Water % - but surely this is very short term - I mean that's why people usually drink loads of water after consuming alcohol to rehydrate themselves.

So I'd imagine this has no real impact. Anyway congrats to the OP - 3 pounds in one week is a lot though - so maybe some of it is attributable to stopping drinking but some is probably due to natural body fluctuation - anyway still it sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

Im seriously considering giving up drink myself.

My reasons are;

1. I cannot drink for shi*, I am 27 and still seem to bypass "tipsy" - I go from stone cold sober to hammered in seconds. I often forget large chunks of the night.
    2. I get the worst hangovers in the world. I am usually sick for at least 2 days. When I say sick Im talking on day 1 I cannot get out of bed never mind leave the house.
    3. I get the depressed feeling a few days after the night out.
    4. Money!! I spend a fortune on nights out (as do most drinkers methinks?)
    5. I am just sick of it.

I hadnt thought about the weight thing but sure that can only be a bonus.

My problems are other ppl, Irish ppl dont get when you dont want to drink. Ppl pressurise you into drinking and I know that a lot of my friends will feel uncomfortable going out with me if Im not drinking! I have often found myself making up lies as to why Im not drinking instead of just saying I dont want to!! Ppl think if you're going out but not drinking you're not really going out!

Our society is drink mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

carrieb wrote: »
    My problems are other ppl, Irish ppl dont get when you dont want to drink. Ppl pressurise you into drinking and I know that a lot of my friends will feel uncomfortable going out with me if Im not drinking! I have often found myself making up lies as to why Im not drinking instead of just saying I dont want to!! Ppl think if you're going out but not drinking you're not really going out!

Our society is drink mad.

My theory is that as a nation, we are emotionally stunted. We can do nothing without involving alcohol to enhance our experience because being happy or having fun without it is inconceivable.

The idea that people will be openly distrustful with me because I don't drink??? It never even occurs to them that I might not want to be exactly the same as them and being so openly judgmental is okay?? That's insane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ellie2528

Had a weekend where people just seemed to be constantly talking about drink - either about how bad their hangovers were, or how drunk people were outside their apartment, we seem to be both cynical of those who do, yet we participate in it ourselves, its kinda a crazy paradox!

I heard my co worker complain about how he was as sick as a small hospital on sunday, and I just began wondering do we do it to ourselves so we can get sympathy from others? :)

I gave up drink about 2 years ago, due to health stuff, altho after living in Mexico for a while, and watching their drinking habits, I had kinda gone off the stuff anyway - its just tough because my social skills are improved when I'm a little bit merry.

I find that the night is hard when no one has had a drink, but once people have had one or two, I join in and it feels like Im tipsy too.

I dont miss the hangovers for a second.

The thing is, if you dont drink for a real reason, you have to be really determinded not to buckle under the peer pressure. I think when you tell people you dont drink, it makes them feel a little guilty, cos we all seem to know that its damaging, and go on about how we are giving up or cutting back all the time...

I know its fun, and I do miss that sensation sometimes, of just losing my head, being irrational, crazy, and irresponsible... but the benefits - cash, more time in the week feeling full of energy, and just the discovery of a whole world out there that is full of other things to do and learn... I wouldnt choose to drink now.

Good luck with the healthier lifestyle - it can be addictive! Hopefully its addictive enough to keep you off drink for long enough to realise that theres more to life than getting hammered :)

In one extreme case, I was at a mates house one evening and a mate of my mate (who I'd been in school with but was never particularly friendly with) called over after more than a couple of beers. He brought some cans and offered them around. Most of the guys took one but I didn't. I never announce that I don't drink and told him that I was driving but he kept insisting.

Our mutual friend interjected and said "leave him alone- he doesn't drink and never has". "oh right", says yer man "" that's great man- I f*****g respect anyone that doesn't drink, boy. I don't know how you do it" etc. etc. (I think we've all been patronized like this at some stage) We got back to what we were at.

Fast forward half an hour and theres your man practically having to be restrained. "you think you're f*****g great because you don't drink like you're f*****g better than me. Well **** you ya f*****g pr*ck"

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

shoes
    energy
    time (no lost hangover time)
    clothes
    chocolate - due to extra calories becoming @available
    plans
    friends as a better listener on nights out
    nights out as can afford more and have energy for more
    respect

the only problem is how crap dublin bars are in providing for non drinkers. another crap nescafe mild coffee anyone? how hard would it be to have those nice cordials like elderflower and lemon grass for the sparkling water and they would even make money.

also - theres no disguising bad company.

also - theres no disguising crap venues.

also - its hard to listen to people locked at 2 am.

the absolute diamond part of it, is walking out leaving everyone talking sh%te after a good night but when everything is getting messy and driving yourself home, getting into the bed. no taxi. no walking along in the stilletos. no empty pockets. no worries. no hangover.

i think we should start a petitiion to the vintners association on how to earn the non drinkers euro.

we should award stars to good pubs for the non drinker.

this would give them ideas - as clearly they have no imaginations at all on how to entice people to non drink there.

- non alcoholic cocktails that dont cost the same as regular ones and are actually put together independantly of alcoholic ones. ie 7up lime juice and a few leaves for 9 euro as i was nearly charged recently instead of a n/a mojito. i told them where to go!

- coffee all the time and not out of a jar please for 2.50

- fancy cordials for sparkling water if i have another diet coke i might die.

- not looking at you like you are from mars if you ask for coffee. there is a bigger mark up on coffee and sparkling water than any other drink behind the bar so we deserve the most respect.

who is with me on this petition.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭carrieb

estar you have just really made me want to quit for good!!
    the part about leaving everyone hammered and messy and hopping into the car was the best!!
    i drank a lot less then usual at xmas this yr and drove a few nights. the moments where i just thought, right i can just walk out to the car park and get into my car now were soooo good!! made it worthwhile!
    i never have energy and think a lot of that is down to drinking.
    i went out on sat night, first night on the beer in months (living in a country where they are not all obsessed with drink!!) and i was still fragile today, tuesday. sunday was written off, still quite ill yest and am hoping tomor i will
    be better, wtf?! 1 night out kills 3 days.............
    while much cheaper then dublin still spent about 4 times more money then i usually do and what do i have to show for it?! a few funny photos, thats about it!
    maybe with no more alcohol i will have energy again.
    would so sign that petition!!!

estar wrote: »
    shoes
    energy
    time (no lost hangover time)
    clothes
    chocolate - due to extra calories becoming @available
    plans
    friends as a better listener on nights out
    nights out as can afford more and have energy for more
    respect

the only problem is how crap dublin bars are in providing for non drinkers. another crap nescafe mild coffee anyone? how hard would it be to have those nice cordials like elderflower and lemon grass for the sparkling water and they would even make money.

also - theres no disguising bad company.

also - theres no disguising crap venues.

also - its hard to listen to people locked at 2 am.

the absolute diamond part of it, is walking out leaving everyone talking sh%te after a good night but when everything is getting messy and driving yourself home, getting into the bed. no taxi. no walking along in the stilletos. no empty pockets. no worries. no hangover.

i think we should start a petitiion to the vintners association on how to earn the non drinkers euro.

we should award stars to good pubs for the non drinker.

this would give them ideas - as clearly they have no imaginations at all on how to entice people to non drink there.

- non alcoholic cocktails that dont cost the same as regular ones and are actually put together independantly of alcoholic ones. ie 7up lime juice and a few leaves for 9 euro as i was nearly charged recently instead of a n/a mojito. i told them where to go!

- coffee all the time and not out of a jar please for 2.50

- fancy cordials for sparkling water if i have another diet coke i might die.

- not looking at you like you are from mars if you ask for coffee. there is a bigger mark up on coffee and sparkling water than any other drink behind the bar so we deserve the most respect.

who is with me on this petition.

I like you:D

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭estar

i like me too!!!!!! ha ha!!!!

im going to research this and then start a thread on this, a review thread where people discuss their experiences on nights out in different pubs and a rating system.

i absolutely one hundred per cent urge people to demand good service as non drinkers. we make the vintners a fortune. the mark up on soft drinks is more than 300% and the same with coffee. they dont have to maintain taps.

i was in sin e there a few weeks ago having food at the weekend with a group of drinkers. they are so lazy there that they dont serve coffee at the weekend. i said to them i dont drink - and you serve food. dont you think its a bit stupid not having coffee. they switch off the machine as it gets too busy. i know its a big beer festival of a pub. and i know it gets crowded. but having coffee available til nine wouldnt be a big stretch. also - pouring pints of guinness is time consuming. i told them this - that they should switch to serving cans because all they had to do was open them and hand them over - no glasses to wash, if they are really looking to pare down the work. however i was verging on crazy complaining lady at the bar so i then decided to leave it.

they will not be getting my non drinkers euro again until they up their game.

however saba - they will be as they do the most divine non alcoholic cocktails and dont charge full price.

peters pub is also great. they serve coffee all night, and the bar men are more than civil about it

everyone needs a lift home which means 1 in 4 on a night out is likely to be driving. also people with kids drive more. and have more money. i deserve good service, a clean venue, and polite bar men to pay 2.50 or 3 euro for a coffee or sparkling water that probably costs 40C to make or buy max. not to mention pregnant women. dont we all deserve our tastes to be catered for.

rise up non drinkers. demand your rights. imagine a world where being a non drinker was a gastronomic experience, and not just a blur of diet coke, pints of lucozade and that gritty feeling of too much caffeine.

why arent we getting good products and services??? even the UK is more advanced than this??? why dont they stock J20 or interesting soft drinks?

chai tea? how difficult is it to boil a kettle and dunk a tea bag????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 blue_eye

The biggesr benefit for me was that I started to enjoy every moment in my life. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭fullback4glin

Execellent stuff man keep it up.. i'd love if we didn't live in a culture where every1 needs to get pist every weekend, imagine if we cud go 2 a pub or club and talk normally 2ppl for a while without the person losing concentration arter de first sentence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Would love if bars served tea or speciality coffee. the price of soft drinks are insane! Your looking at the guts of 3e now! Il sign your petition! Badly needed. At least in Dublin ye have options, down the west here we have one coffee shop that stays open late in the city and yes you are looked at like an alien if you ask for tea or coffee in any other establishment.

There was a lovely winebar that served wine of course but speciality coffees aswell, had big couches. Actually would love to find out why they closed down? As it would be just the sort of place that my group of friends that consist of a mix of drinkers & non drinkers could happily go out together for the night without any of us having to compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Angelicus_22

One benefit is definitely in the fitness stakes. I go playing soccer every weekend, and generally am able to keep up a pretty good constant level throughout. And even when I play on Friday nights as well, I'm still well able for a game on the Saturday.

Also there is the financial benefits as well. It's nice to be able to afford things. Or save up for a cool summer holiday somewhere.

There are many benefits to not having a drink, some obvious and some you'll probably only realise after a while not drinking.

Ive never drank, and as a result id say im financially sound, which is somethign well worth considering in such tough times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 joanie20

I had to go off the drink last week due to antibiotics. I went to my usual bar and was ordering juices. On my third trip to the bar the barman said 'Are you off the drink for lent or something?' Haha don't know does that reflect badly on me or has he never served anyone that wasn't drinking?? Gonna stay off for April and see how I get on. It's so worth it even for the money!! €15 for three pints.....pint of blackcurrent - FREE!! Not a fan of mi wadi but not really bothered on a night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Went off it for Lent too, didn't even drink on Paddy's. Fitness way up, weight down, but this coincides with much greater training per week on average, since the weather is getting better and I'm naturally playing more hurling/soccer etc.

I only get cravings when I'm at work! Other than that it's been fine. Thinking about it in a vacuum like right now is way harder than being in a pub sober, honestly.

At the same time I'd be lying if I said I can't wait for next weekend. Beerfest in the Franciscan in Cork too:D

I guess moderation is key(sounds ghey I know). I've practically given up Fri/Sat booze anyway since I cycle on Sunday mornings, so it's basically just Fridays.

One thing I have learned to never do again though is go clubbing sober....gawwd....

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

I've also been off it for Lent, for the real Lent reason ("Sacrifice? Arse! ... Arnold? Who's Arnold?") but I cheated, I took my Paddy's Day early. And last year the national Paddy's Day and the religious Paddy's Day were different, so I took them both. And both early.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

From now on, I'm a non-drinker. I've decided this today, and I'm really excited about it! :) The benefits of not drinking far outweigh any supposed benefit that is gained from drinking. Obviously, in Ireland, the big challenge is everyone else, but if we're thinking that its pointless, to some degree they probably realise it too. Heading out tonight, for my first night not-drinking. Looking out for love. Big big love. LOL "Its gonna take a very special girl....or... a bunch of average ones"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 hitman76

Hi all,

Don't think I would be up for that .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I gave up the drink for Lent and November for the last two years. Also I have made it an ongoing rule only to drink at weekends only. I have noticed a marked improvement in my energy levels and problem solving abilities since giving up.
    I echo the sentiments of a lot of people here regarding pubs and serving non-alcoholic drinks at night time. I used to enjoy Irish trad sessions but now find it a drag without the drink. Usually end up going home early as I've heard it all before and it is no longer enjoyable without the few jars.
    My sober state has allowed me to see constant drinkers as the depressed people they really are and I've notice a large number of moderate drinkers who have only the one or two and leave after that.
    It is literally and figuratively a sobering experience.
    I might have to avoid pubs for a while as I find I cannot easily control the amount I have after 3 or 4 pints as the judgment and willpower go out the window after that.
    Food helps a lot as I find eating out an enjoyable experience with little or no hangover but it is very expensive to eat out in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 seamusm99

I was out Sat night, bearing in mind this is Thursday and I'm still suffering. Big Time. We drank that much alcohol that I didn't remember leaving or coming home in the taxi !!! That is just not right. I also have the fear as I can't remember what I did in my black out or how bad I looked or came across to others. When I don't drink I find the mood is always much better and the weight is more manageable. From here on I'm only occassionaly going to have a drink in exceptional circumstances. I don't think I can resist too much during stag nights and big occassions. After my black out periods I feel parnoid, as I beat myself up for 4-5 days, but the blues eventually pass but it is still a very bad period. Reading on the web I'm not alone in this so it helps me big time otherwise I'd just crack up. When I was younger I didn't have these blues but I think it comes with age and responsibility. The beer craps are also a scary aspect !!! I thought at one stage that something was wrong until I discovered it is quite common.
    My best advice is; if you can resist alcohol do at all costs you will be better off. Moderation is the key - I don't have it.

Do some hobby or sports instead.

Advertisement