Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new NCT requirements

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Traumadoc wrote: »
    So a car capable of 140 mph is safer than a car limited to 90mph?:rolleyes:

AFAIK all HGVs and coaches have speed limiters.

Why not limit cars to say 90mph?

No, a car limited to 74.5mph is lethal, though

Limiters, if fitted, are always set to higher than "the limit" for safety reasons anyway. And also, if you think a limiter can't be easily and quickly removed after an NCT test, you're delusional.

I'm quite willing to admit I'd have any limited car I owned delimited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 CoachDriver

Traumadoc wrote: »
    better driver education, enforcement of traffic laws, and better road engineering.

yes, plus car testing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

hellboy99 wrote: »
    I've three words that sums this up:

Money making racket !!

Fix the roads for a start I say :mad:

Ask yourself this...who is it making money for? answer US.

and with more money in the pot, there'll be more available to fill them potholes....nicely worded dontcher think...quite poetical really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Actually it will mean increased turnover of cars. So more tax from VRT and VAT but more money going overseas to pay for new cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

corktina wrote: »
    Ask yourself this...who is it making money for? answer US.

and with more money in the pot, there'll be more available to fill them potholes....nicely worded dontcher think...quite poetical really.
    I can assure you, the money will be going a lot of places first before it goes and fills a pothole, especially the one round the corner from me (loves to buckle rims if you hit it) that has been there since 2001 and complained about thousands of times to the council :mad:
    Annual testing of vehicles over 10 years old
    At present two thirds of cars aged 10 years and older presented for a test do not pass first time. It is proposed that annual testing be introduced for cars ten years and older. Cars over 30 years old would continue to be exempt for the moment.

The introduction of the new test items will have no implications for test fees. The owners of vehicles over 10 years old, however, would be required to bear the cost of an annual test.

It's a joke that they are looking to bring in an annual test for cars over 10 years of age, a 5 year old car for example can just as easily fail the test.

To say that a 5 - 9 year old car is fine, but a 10 year old one is not, or more likely to be a 'fail' is completely ridiculous. I know plenty of people myself included that have 10 year old plus cars and they are in better condition if not near perfect both body and mechanically to some 5 - 9 year old cars.

It's nothing but money scam and to bring it in, especially in the times we're in economy wise and to keep the same fees in place is an outrage, it should be halved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Davidth88 wrote: »

As for the NCT being about safety, how does displaying the county on the registration plate in irish a safety thing ? And yes you will fail if you don't have it.

It's a legal requirement.

Why bother having Gards wasting time checking these small things when it can be much easier added to a test like the NCT when a car is in anyway?

Stekelly wrote: »
    It's a legal requirement.

Why bother having Gards wasting time checking these small things when it can be much easier added to a test like the NCT when a car is in anyway?
    Why bother with it at all, sure the fancy writing non county displaying reg will go back on after the car passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Why bother with it at all,.

Take that up with your friendly local Irish language lobbyists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MYOB wrote: »
    I don't understand what you mean there???

page 14 of http://www.rsa.ie/NEWS/upload/File/NCT%20Consultation%20Paper%202009.pdf
    states as a reason to refuse granting a nct cert :
    "glass has a light transmission level of not less than 65%"
    when it should say
    "glass has a light transmission level of less than 65%"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

not nice having to have a car tested every year ! 10 years or older

do the people not get a say in this to the NCT people !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,750 ✭✭✭SeanW

robbie_998 wrote: »

Sounds supping retarded to me too - it goes with the territory of giving the government power to regulate - you get abuses like this. I sure hope the RSA gets the chop in an "an bord snip" review ... all they seem to do is look for new ways to drown people in red tape.

robbie_998 wrote: »

We did, but they didn't exactly go out of their way to let the public know, i wonder why :rolleyes:
    The RSA would greatly appreciate the views of the public. Responses may be submitted up to 27th March (2009) to:
    National Car Test Consultation
    Road Safety Authority
    Moy Valley Business Park
    Primrose Hill
    Ballina
    Co. Mayo
    or by email to nctconsultation@rsa.ie

On completion of this consultation process the RSA will be making proposals to the Department of Transport regarding the items to be included in the National Car Test from 2010.

Advertisement