Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kawasaki Ninja 250 Vs Honda CBF 125 - Help, please.

Options
  • 21-02-2009 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭

I recently got my provisional licence for a bike, and am trying to decided which bike to buy.

I have got it down to two options:

Either a Honda CBF 125, or a Kawasaki Ninja 250.

There are many pros and cons for each bike, but I can't decided which one to go for. :confused:

The Honda is 'cheap' at only € 2 500, including jacket, gloves and helmet. The problems are:
    - can't do my full licence test with it
    - I am concerned that I will grow out of it too soon

The Kawasaki is 'expensive' at € 5 000, excluding any kit.
    The advantages are:
    - can do full licence with it

There is not much difference in the insurance - which I find strange.

Any advice or opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

Two different classes of bike really. There are a fair few second hand 250's going for cheap. It all depends on what kind of riding you want to do and if you want to buy new or not. A Ninja 250 might be over the limit on a provisional as well so you'd have to get it restricted.

Anyway, a lot of people swear by the likes of a Honda Bros 400, reliable, nippy and just on the limit for the provisional. You could pick a decent one up for 1200-1500, but the latest you'd find out be 90/91.

If you want new, the CBF250 might do, would guess that'd be a bit cheaper than the ninja.

If you're only worried about your test, you can rent a riding instructors bike for the it, normally you would pay for a pretest and bike rental. Google Dave Lyons for a good instructor in the Dublin/Wicklow area.

Check out biker.ie or irishbikerforum.com for bigger communites that'd be glad to give ya some info - it's a bit quiet round here mostly, though that should pick up in the summer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

I dunno about buying new for yr first bike-you are going to drop it at least once over the first few months, and it'll never be a pretty again, whatever bike you get.

Extremely good value in second hand market at the moment too-its an option I wouldn't discount out of hand.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I know that they are two 'different' bikes. The last time I rode a bike was about 15 years ago, when I was young, and then it was just the odd time on a mates bike, or on the farm.

Everone says that there are bargin second hand bikes, but I can't seem to find them. I have looked on loads of web sites, and at bike shops, but the second hand bikes on offer are not cheap at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

It really depends on what you're looking for in a bike. 5 day commute? Weekend spins in the sun? Do you wanna get your knee down around the bends, or sit back on a relaxed cruiser?

Like was said above, you more than likely will drop the bike at least once - scratching up a new Ninja would be heartbreaking :(

P.C. wrote: »

Everone says that there are bargin second hand bikes, but I can't seem to find them. I have looked on loads of web sites, and at bike shops, but the second hand bikes on offer are not cheap at all.

Well I suppose people will always have different definitions of what constitutes 'cheap' but what I would say is that the price on the various adverts is rarely the actual expected price, and in current conditions the final price secured can be less than the sellers expected price on top of that.

But I guess if yr in a position to get a new bike then yr probably also in a position to fork out for any repairs to keep the bike lookin pretty.

So I say go for the Ninja!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Two different classes of bike really. There are a fair few second hand 250's going for cheap. It all depends on what kind of riding you want to do and if you want to buy new or not. A Ninja 250 might be over the limit on a provisional as well so you'd have to get it restricted.

Just to clear this up, the ninja is under 33bhp so its learner legal without any restriction.

Like was said above, you more than likely will drop the bike at least once - scratching up a new Ninja would be heartbreaking :(

The Honda 125 it is. Just put down a deposit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Without a doubt your gonna either have a bit of a tumble or drop either of the bikes. But dont ever let this worry you or influence your choice in bikes.

Iv decided recently to get back driving bikes since my dad bought a Harley (mid life crises) and plan to spin around with him.

I have a twin who is doing the same and showed me an article on the CBF125 in this months bike buyers guide. Personally when I read it, I sniggered a bit at the stupidity of my bro, The bike he was showing me was a HUGE step down from what he and myself drove years ago. I then went out to the local honda dealer to get a bit of advice (hopefully to persuade my bro not to buy one) and the advice I got helped allot.

Now being fair I know the guy in the honda dealers a long time so he told me straight out NOT to buy one. (he has 2 for sale in his shop brand new) He told me it`s only good for people who like the idea of having a bike without being a biker. Commuting to work or the shop, that's all its good for, or for a first time buyer that's inevitably going to never drive a bike again after this one.

You will have allot more fun on the Ninja, Trust me, they are very quick, reliable, amazing for long spins, Low enough for inexperienced drivers to learn on without killing themselves. And they look BEAUTIFUL.

Thats my 2cents.

Without a doubt your gonna either have a bit of a tumble or drop either of the bikes. But dont ever let this worry you or influence your choice in bikes.

Iv decided recently to get back driving bikes since my dad bought a Harley (mid life crises) and plan to spin around with him.

I have a twin who is doing the same and showed me an article on the CBF125 in this months bike buyers guide. Personally when I read it, I sniggered a bit at the stupidity of my bro, The bike he was showing me was a HUGE step down from what he and myself drove years ago. I then went out to the local honda dealer to get a bit of advice (hopefully to persuade my bro not to buy one) and the advice I got helped allot.

Now being fair I know the guy in the honda dealers a long time so he told me straight out NOT to buy one. (he has 2 for sale in his shop brand new) He told me it`s only good for people who like the idea of having a bike without being a biker. Commuting to work or the shop, that's all its good for, or for a first time buyer that's inevitably going to never drive a bike again after this one.

You will have allot more fun on the Ninja, Trust me, they are very quick, reliable, amazing for long spins, Low enough for inexperienced drivers to learn on without killing themselves. And they look BEAUTIFUL.

Thats my 2cents.

I am now officially upset. :mad::o:(:eek::confused:

ergh....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭tiernanobrien

100% go with a 250, not necessarily a ninja though. Youll get very frustrated with the all round limitations that a 125 will put on you. I have a hornet 250 which i use around the city and its got a perfect amount of power for that but gets a bit monotonous on motorways etc when in the higher gears.
    A bit of power can get you out of trouble sometimes and as you say you can do your test on it. Also, have you considered a CBF 250? and i wouldnt pay 2500 for a 125... youll never get it back! Buy cheap, sell cheap is the way to do it and only spend the big bucks if you plan on holding onto it for a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

you dont say how old the bikes are? is the Honda second hand?
    I've seen a CBF 250 advertised in Dublin for around €3400 or thereabouts and I presume your looking at a new Kawasaki Ninja which would put you back about €5300 or something plus another 1 K for gear - that makes buying new pretty spendy ok!
    as has been pointed out - you need to define whats the primary use of the bike? then you can target a type and hopefully a model after that.
    A year ago I returned to motorcycling after a long time away (some may say mid life crises - more like late life) :) but anyway because i didn't have an immediate death wish, i got a Honda XR 125 to get back into it again, used that every day til i felt i was ready to move on - have since sold this on and i'm on a 650 now and feel comfortable driving it.
    Dont try and ride beyond your abilities, start low/slow and build up.
    good luck :)

The story so far...

I got my provisional/learners licence in Feb.

Ordered, and paid a deposit on the Honda CBF 125 - to be collected early April (I was on holiday for the last two weeks of May)
    Went to the bike shop to collect my gear for my training, and ask when I could collect my bike.
    They said the bike will take a few more weeks, as there were none in the country and they were waiting on a delivery.

Did a days bike training in the first week of April.

Phoned the bike shop last week to find out when I could get my bike - they could not give me an answer. :(

Phoned the bike shop yesterday, and they told me it would be another four weeks before I get my bike. :mad:

Now, I am thinking of cancelling my order, and getting a different bike.

Should I be patient, or should I look at another bike?

One of the bikes that I looked at today, and really like is the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

The story so far...

I got my provisional/learners licence in Feb.

Ordered, and paid a deposit on the Honda CBF 125 - to be collected early April (I was on holiday for the last two weeks of May)
    Went to the bike shop to collect my gear for my training, and ask when I could collect my bike.
    They said the bike will take a few more weeks, as there were none in the country and they were waiting on a delivery.

Did a days bike training in the first week of April.

Phoned the bike shop last week to find out when I could get my bike - they could not give me an answer. :(

Phoned the bike shop yesterday, and they told me it would be another four weeks before I get my bike. :mad:

Now, I am thinking of cancelling my order, and getting a different bike.

Should I be patient, or should I look at another bike?

One of the bikes that I looked at today, and really like is the Yamaha XJ6 Diversion.

none in the country are they taking the piss out of you???dont be led get your money back there messing with you big time oh and for the ninja Green is the color of envy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Get the money back and spend it on something secondhand that you take that day with you. Keep it for a while and upgrade in time is what I say, be patient with yourself but not with the shop. Not 4 weeks patient anyway!

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 cgan086

bought a brand new kawasaki 250r about 2 months ago. brilliant bike.

cgan086 wrote: »
    bought a brand new kawasaki 250r about 2 months ago. brilliant bike.

Cool!

Now you will have to come on a spin with us - just to show off your new bike. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Wheelie2009

He he! you put a deposit on a four stroke 125. Welcome to slowville :D

Ninja 250's going for under £3000 in the UK BTW. Wouldn't buy either of those bikes.

He he! you put a deposit on a four stroke 125. Welcome to slowville :D

Are you refering to me in that post?

Hehehehehehehehehe.

we've a bright one here:rolleyes:

What colour is is lad?

• Advertisement

we've a bright one here:rolleyes:

You need to read a few more of the threads in this forum.
    9 posts and that is the best you can come up with.
    What colour is is lad?

Thanks for the compliment - now if only I could get the wimmins to think I am young.

There are plenty of pics of my bike, if you care to look (and me of that matter). But, I will save you the hassel - it is red, because red goes faster. :D

I do not know what the acceleration to 60 or 100 is on my bike, but I do know that it is quick.
    I have not found out what the top speed is, but (apparently) it is above the speed limit.

LOl only have a bit of craic with ye. They're a grand wee bike. Don't like the mong sized exhaust. I'd **** that out and change the gearing for a bit of zap on the hills but after that she's a gooder bike

Black ones are nicest :pac:

LOl only have a bit of craic with ye. They're a grand wee bike. Don't like the mong sized exhaust. I'd **** that out and change the gearing for a bit of zap on the hills but after that she's a gooder bike

Black ones are nicest :pac:

If you are talking about the 125, I would not know.

I don't have one.

My bike is a bit bigger. Ask anyone who was been on a ride out with me. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

:pac:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    :pac:

I am trying to think of a good reply to this, and all I can come up with is:

:p

I am trying to think of a good reply to this, and all I can come up with is:

:p

Sure you're getting old, you can't be expected to be witty all the time ;)

:pac: What's up with the personal thanks option?

I'm not sure It seems like Kamikazi and P.C. have somehting going on? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure It seems like Kamikazi and P.C. have somehting going on? :rolleyes:

erm :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Thanks.

Now do we have anything going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 blueyblue

hey guys im bluey im new to the boards but i tend to end up reading alot of it when i need to know something figured it was time to join,

forgive me for askin a old question but im just about to get my provisional and i love the kawazaki 250r, im 23 and thats kinda the bike i want will i be able to get it on that licence and will the insurance just be to high

Advertisement