Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poker, Sport or just gambling?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Edit Ipoker must die

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

FixedThisThreadSucks.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Gambling obv. If not then betting on the horses, dogs, prop bets, any sort of betting where it is possible to hold an edge is a sport. Why are then people who bet on horses not called sportspeople? Why exactly would poker be different from this?

Its clearly just gambling ldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

TommyGunne wrote: »
    Gambling obv. If not then betting on the horses, dogs, prop bets, any sort of betting where it is possible to hold an edge is a sport. Why are then people who bet on horses not called sportspeople? Why exactly would poker be different from this?

Its clearly just gambling ldo.

Because these people can not have a direct influence on that horses chances they can not manipulate the other horses, they cant in anyway affect how the other horses perform whereas a competent Poker player can manipulate an opponent and induce mistakes............ IMO of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

Poker is a game of skill but it is not a sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭colly10

a competent Poker player can manipulate an opponent and induce mistakes............ IMO of course :D

So can a chess player, that's not a sport either

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bigbadpat

YULETIRED wrote: »
    Poker is neither gambling nor sport it's just poker with elements of both. The degree of gambling in/on any sport depends on your skill and application to the game,the gamble element is what keeps the actual gamblers (read fish) playing the game, the skill element is what keeps the sports people (read shark) playing, the profitable approach to any game /sport is to become as good as you can at it and thus improve your odds of winning. So in a nutshell, Poker is a gamble to bad players and a Sport to good players , and somewhere in the middle is the rest of us struggling to remove the gambol from our game and replace it with the skill (sport)

I would agree with this in that mostly the more skilled players reach the final table in a tourament - Occasionally the less skilled player will have a fantastic run of cards and reach the final table.................................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

colly10 wrote: »
    So can a chess player, that's not a sport either

But i never said it was I said it wasnt ''just'' gambling as was suggested and Chess is most certainly not gambling so thanks for improving my arguement ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭robinblinds

KevIRL wrote: »

"I recommend a visit to the Nora Dunne Art Gallery, it'll really lift your spirit"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

nuxxx wrote: »
    well name another which includes as much "luck" as poker does

Not disagreeing with you, its a good thread. But i cant think of any

You didnt say that originally though, you said a sport is where the best athlete/team aswell win - that doesnt happen in sport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭TommyGunne

Because these people can not have a direct influence on that horses chances they can not manipulate the other horses, they cant in anyway affect how the other horses perform whereas a competent Poker player can manipulate an opponent and induce mistakes............ IMO of course :D

If you want to make a proper comparison, compare things that are alike. If you want to say that a poker player can manipulate his opponents, then the correct comparison would be a sports bettor manipulating the people he bets against, not the horses.

Sports bettors not being able to manipulate the results of a race/manipulate horses should be compared to a poker player not being able to fix the deck (yeah you can make him fold, whatever.)

Sports bettors can obv manipulate the people they bet against. Take people wanting to bet on their own team, where they will largely disregard the price. Obv exploitable.

Also, the ability to manipulate who you play the game with does not make something a sport.

Poker is a game of betting/gambling. No more, no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Blip

TommyGunne wrote: »

Poker is a game of betting/gambling. No more, no less.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CourierCollie

Did I miss something? Is Ben Dunne the new Atari Jaguar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SteamboatMark

Ye should check out centpoker.com
    dey give you 100 chips free for looking at ads, everytime u lose the chips u can get another 100 and then if you win enough chips you can cash out for real money, not huge money but its like gambling for ppl wit gambling problems. I tink it could be close to being a sport, or least just playing cards for fun anyway.

Advertisement