Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEER REVIEWS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Mr Tim Buktoo

what does one think of erdinger wheat beer. i like it. and am about to try a lithuanian beer , but cant remember the name. its in the fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

what does one think of erdinger wheat beer. i like it.

Yep i agree Eirdinger is a real Humdinger!.
    I have tried a few of their beers,even bought a bottle of their alcohol free by mistake.

I know,I know....sacrilege!!

http://www.erdinger.com/

Skillie wrote: »
    last night i had Guiness, 1795, Duvel, Vedette, Peroni all very good Duvel was by far the best though

Tried the others,but never heard of Vedette.Whats it like?,where did you get it?.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

DenMan wrote: »
    Staropramen is an lovely beer, really like it. In fact I had one when I got back from a gig last night. A1 beer that's for sure.

Not bad as far as Lagers go, but I am suspicious of anything made with corn syrup to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

Tried the others,but never heard of Vedette.Whats it like?,where did you get it?.

very typical belgian beer, clean crisp nice but duvel is nicer. had it in the long island bar and have seen it in abbots ale house off license among others.

erdinger was prob the first decent beer i tried before we started seeing all the other good quality import beers arrive in ireland. hard to fault it, the oktoberfest version is really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

tried franziskaner and im sorry say its not for me nice texture to it but just that bit taste dont know how to call it, never fan these types of beer pity as got another to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Let me stop you right there. It's an English beer dating from pretending to be a genuine Indian beer. In the US it is illegal for some people older than the brand to drink it. It's a cynical marketing exercise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobra_Beer

ok, so it is no more Indian than a Chicken Tikka Masala...they're both bloody good though, especially together :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

francosp wrote: »
    Nice beers recently are:

Hoegaarden
    Paulanner
    Fransikenger
    SchofferHoffer

All really lovely at any time of the year/day

:)

Paulaner is such a lovely beer! .... hummm :D

had some on draft in dublin at the CZECH INN (which is a rare treat as there are no pubs with it on draft where I live) they also have Zlaty Bazant on tap there for the person who likes that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Been drinking way too much Innis & Gunn and Staropramen lately. Innis & Gunn is number one at the moment. A beer aged in whiskey barrels with aromas of vanilla and toffee? Perfection.

It's ruining my bank balance though as I can't drink any of the mass market beers when I go to the pub now. Have to spend that little bit more to get quality.

Saruman wrote: »
    Just goes to show how different personal tastes are. Innis & Gunn is probably the worst beer I have tasted

And London Pride is one of the best, a favourite among beer lovers the world over.

deff agree about how tastes of people vary.

I had a bottle of London Pride last night and i don't think i ever remember being so disgusted by a beer on just the first sip, after the first couple of sips i was going to throw it down the sink but decided to persevere with it till the end and have to say it just got worse. London pride tasted like what i'd expect a can of carling to taste like if it lay in the sun all day and then was shook to within an inch of its life before being poured into my glass. It was nasty, fizzy malty tripe. The auld lad used to make home brew years ago and it brought back memories of the stench of that around the house. May be revered by beer lovers all over the world that doesn't mean they have taste. i know lots of beer lovers who drink budweiser by the barrel load but that doesn't mean i'd trust their judgement on what tastes good. To summise i hated it.:)

• Advertisement

Love & peace to you all!.Just had a bottle of Brooklyn Brewery "Black Choclate Stout "10% alc vol(mchughs offlicence malahide road).I really enjoyed it ,althought it could be the fact that I polished off 2 bottles of bend in the river pinot grigio before hand.

The Brooklyn lager is lovely stuff, lots of hops so more a Pale ale.
    Where did you get the black chocolate stout? I would be very interested to try some.

Saruman wrote: »
    The Brooklyn lager is lovely stuff, lots of hops so more a Pale ale.
    Where did you get the black chocolate stout? I would be very interested to try some.
    Sh1t I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONE THAT WAS PISSED?.
    (mchughs offlicence malahide road)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Plastic Bari

500ml bottles of Tyske beer 2 quid in the local beer shop they go down a treat!!!

Skillie wrote: »
    deff agree about how tastes of people vary.

I had a bottle of London Pride last night and i don't think i ever remember being so disgusted by a beer on just the first sip, after the first couple of sips i was going to throw it down the sink but decided to persevere with it till the end and have to say it just got worse. .:)

Yea tasted the London Pride ,can't say I was mad about it.i won't be in a rush to try another.

had a bottle of duvel and a bottle of Affligem tonight. the latter was like a cheaper (but not worse) version of the former. not as strong but a very very nice crisp beer that i have overlooked in the past manys a time. will have it again was very pleased with it. bought the 4 bottle gift set of Kwak as well with the fancy glass. happy easter to me. the glass really is bizarre and i'm looking forward to sampling the beer but seems a shame to open it the gift box looks so good all wrapped up. €25 euro if anyones interested

Kwak is absolutely lovely, big thumbs up, the glass is great too

Yum yum just got this gift set of triple karmeliet in the local.Will polish it off tonight!.Had it before and like it alot,has anyone else tried it?.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Never seen that before, looks impressive. Where's your local?

Zaph wrote: »
    Never seen that before, looks impressive. Where's your local?

Mchugh's offlicence ,malahide road.I think their on the web.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I really must pay that place a visit some day, always hear good things about them.

Yum yum just got this gift set of triple karmeliet in the local.Will polish it off tonight!.Had it before and like it alot,has anyone else tried it?.

Came very close to buying that last night the glasses are very nice. instead i bought some duvell, la fin du monde, sverturys ekstra and singha.

had king cobra in an indian restaurant in swords last week and got robbed. they charged €13.95 a bottle, it spoiled the meal thats a disgraceful price for a bottle of beer (albeit a 750ml bottle) we hadn't looked at the beverages menu just ordered and were shocked when we got the bill.

anyone know how much it is in the off license?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

May or may not have been mentioned here previously, but I was in the Spar in Saggart last weekend and picked up a 6 pack of Duff Beer. Wasn't a bad beer at all either. I have a photo of it on the mobile (but don't have the software to hook it up to the computer so can't upload it at the mo. Will if I get the chance). Anyway was a decent beer, Belgian, the packaging was all spot on, exactly like on the Simpsons. 5% abv. A bit steep though €12.99 for 6 pack!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Have'nt tried the Zylaty Bazant,is it polish?.I will have to hunt down a bottle to try it out.
    If you get the chance try out "Kwak" (belgium beer)If you get your hands on a gift set the glass is unusual to say the least,but adds to the experience.
    hey i wanna try out some east euro beers in aldi/lidl any ideas
    also any czech ppl know where i can get my hands on a nice bottle of becherovka?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

I had it myself a couple of weeks ago. It was surprisingly pleasant.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

May or may not have been mentioned here previously, but I was in the Spar in Saggart last weekend and picked up a 6 pack of Duff Beer. Wasn't a bad beer at all either. I have a photo of it on the mobile (but don't have the software to hook it up to the computer so can't upload it at the mo. Will if I get the chance). Anyway was a decent beer, Belgian, the packaging was all spot on, exactly like on the Simpsons. 5% abv. A bit steep though €12.99 for 6 pack!

I've merged your thread with this main thread. Makes sense to keep all the "serious" beer discussion to one thread, methinks.

Fozzydog3 wrote: »
    hey i wanna try out some east euro beers in aldi/lidl any ideas
    also any czech ppl know where i can get my hands on a nice bottle of becherovka?

Lidl does a decent pilsner called perlenbacher, its a 6 pack and the bottles are 500ml.

Becherovka can be got in any decent off-license so you should not have to go far. Just avoid the crap ones that only stock crates of crappy Coors light and a few bottles of wine.
    I have half a bottle or more of it, I have not been able to drink it in years after a 3 day hangover because of the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

i had a bottle of Curim on saturday night that i got in Tescos. it was the last one though, anyone got any idea where else might stock this or other Carlow Brewery beers?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

i had a bottle of Curim on saturday night that i got in Tescos. it was the last one though, anyone got any idea where else might stock this or other Carlow Brewery beers?

superquinn and Spar are selling them

• Advertisement

Any decent sized Tesco sells them. The Curim is a bad beer though, well perhaps in its own right its not bad but its more a light Pilsner in taste than a wheat beer.

I have nothing but praise for the stout and the red though.

Advertisement