Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you kept your accent?

Options
  • 17-02-2009 9:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Have you the same accent now as you did when you were ten? Has any long stay in a country inflected it in any way?

I ask because a friend of ours got back from Liverpool yesterday after living over there for a year. Ive just gotten off the phone with him and he sounds like this:

(mildly NSFW)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

yeah, I've had an American accent since I was about 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I've less of a Dub accent now than when i was younger. It does sneak out when i'm drunk tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Ive lost my kerry accent a few years ago thank god mainly because I live in limerick and sligo most of the time!! From time to time some words come out in a kerry way of saying things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

No, my balls have dropped since I was 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭JangoFett

I used to have a really thick MAD Laois accent, being from there and all but I've lived in Waterford for almost 6 years now and my accent is like 85% Waterford now. But the Laois comes out when I get passionate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

I know people who have lived in the US for nearly 20 years and still have their irish accent. I think its a matter of choice, some people just decide to change it for whatever reason, maybe to 'fit in' more. For example i know a girl who after a year in London has a thick London accent, i think its just wierd to tbh. I've lived in Norway for the past 3 years and as Americanized as their english is i have not lost my accent one bit and ever plan on doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Overflow wrote: »
    I know people who have lived in the US for nearly 20 years and still have their irish accent. I think its a matter of choice, some people just decide to change it for whatever reason, maybe to 'fit in' more. For example i know a girl who after a year in London has a thick London accent, i think its just wierd to tbh. I've lived in Norway for the past 3 years and as Americanized as their english is i have not lost my accent one bit and ever plan on doing so.

It must be a Scandinavian thing, it was the same when I was in Sweden. My brother recently returned home after living in Sweden for a year and a half and now he's saying words like "candy" and "pants" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I'm from Canada, I lived in Manchester for six months and I've been in Ireland for nearly six months now, and whenever I call home they think I sound incredibly different, whereas when I'm abroad they tell me my accent is very thickly Canadian-- though today a Dub said my accent was really really mellow and he didn't think I sounded Canadian at all, or even North American, and lately when I'm out people can never quite place where I'm from.

It's not an intentional change at all, guess I just subconsciously pick up on it? I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I'm not sure I can say that I had one to begin with, I've gone through accents quite a bit in my life which is strange as my parents have always kept their Scottish accents while we were living in different countries. Now people think I'm Irish or American or Scottish, they can't pinpoint it. Someone thought I was Polish a while ago in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

18 years in uk hasn't lost me my Dub accent .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

rarnes1 wrote: »

to be fair to McClaren the dutch accent is contagious

who remembers Sean Kelly (cyclist) in the 80s with his muck-savage meets sophisticated Frenchman accent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

fryup wrote: »
    who remembers Sean Kelly (cyclist) in the 80s with his muck-savage meets sophisticated Frenchman accent

:pac:

video link me someone. Quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭cute_cow

Originally from wexford, but never had a wexford accent. been in dublin nearly 7 years, and i have to say I have a bit of a dublin twang.

can't hear it myself, but when I go home, everyone notices it. with a few beers, it does tend to become a lot stronger!

If I remember from the film IVE , did'nt jack type

No,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no,no

in the weeks and months holed up in the house ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I had a very "normal" accent when I was about ten, y'know, just typical Irish, but not culchie, adnc ertainly not Dub. Then I went to secondary school when I was 12 and within weeks had a fairly pronounced D4 accent. My accent is noticable, but not as bad as a lot of D4 accents, and gets way worse the more I drink. With every can my drawl gets even more elongated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

latchyco wrote: »
    If I remember from the film IVE , did'nt jack type

in the weeks and months holed up in the house ? :D

I think you're getting it mixed up with a Fr Ted episode :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 losojosverdes

I find it so hard to keep my accent I lived in France last year with a bunch of English people and when I came home no one believed I was Irish anymore I had the strongest Northern English accent ever. Now I live in Spain and I still have an english twang but also sound a bit like a Spanish person trying to speak English and I also sound a little American as my roomates from the States. I dont think you can decide to keep it or not, its what you hear for example when I was in France I didnt hear another Irish person for 6 months and I just forgot what Irish people sounded like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

yeh mine has definitly changed, i just got sick of people asking me to reapeat myself up to four or five times so when i'm talking in dublin i have a very neutral accent with very pronounced words.

i have a northern accent so i just slowed it down, cut out the normal slang words and pronuced. many foreign friends have commented on how easy i am for them to understand compared to most irish people.

its a shame that people from south dublin need the same treatment as people who english isn't there first language. (i have to admitt its not evryone, just the knobs i was in college with!)

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    I think you're getting it mixed up with a Fr Ted episode :)
    I aint gonna replace all those no's with ' Ah... 'G'wan 's now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I adopt a Polish accent when I'm at the deli.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

no.

i was always the kind of person who, when having a conversation with someone with a different accent, just sort of fell into their accent. couldnt put on an accent to save my life, but did pick them up.

since i moved to nz, not only have i picked up bits of accent and phrases, but ive also had to tone down my own accent, and learn to speak much slower, cos nobody here could understand me, particularly as i worked with young kids. though my accent isn't 'gone', going to different centres every now and then will have them asking me why i talk funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

My accent hasn't changed. My parents are from different counties, so I've always had a pretty neutral rural accent. My accent becomes really strong when I'm annoyed though - given my penchant for ranting that's fairly often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I dont think you can decide to keep it or not, its what you hear for example when I was in France I didnt hear another Irish person for 6 months and I just forgot what Irish people sounded like.

Yep I know what you mean.

I definitely don't have the same accent as when I was 10. It's hilarious to watch old videos from weddings of me speaking in this thick Northern English accent. I suppose that was my 'natural' accent before I'd lived anywhere else. When I was almost 11 we moved to Northern Ireland, so I had the nordie accent within a month (my dad and half my family are from there so it was firmly ingrained in my brain anyway), then moved to Dublin about 7 years later. Lost the nordie accent more and more until it became a sort of southside Dublin one. When I meet people now they usually ask where I went to school, expecting to hear Rathgar or Terenure or whatever. I know I sound much more English when I teach though, because I make a real effort to speak very clearly and with a 'neutral' accent.

I still on most days ,use a bit of dublinese slang if I'm acting the goat which goes down well with family and friends alike and I always had a soft south county Dublin accent anyway, which is understood by most English people I'm in contact with .Although I notice I do tend to use more grammer in speech ,if only to explain myself that much better and avoid the ' orish' tag ,which seldom happens now unlike eary years when it happened a lot .But I put that down to the diversity of Irish accents in uk ,some of which are quite heavier than others and lost completely on some English .I never have any problems being understood abroad in other English speaking EU countries .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I have a Waterford accent, and it's sexy. Sometimes I record myself and listen to myself speak. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

How about Finnula Sweeney only listen to the first bit she doesnt speak much after but I've never met an Irish person that developed a home counties accent in such a short time

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x751wb_michael-ware-cnn-int-10202008_news

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

silverharp wrote: »
    How about Finnula Sweeney only listen to the first bit she doesnt speak much after but I've never met an Irish person that developed a home counties accent in such a short time

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x751wb_michael-ware-cnn-int-10202008_news
    I think it happens quite a lot .For instance I have noticed former regional english tv news reporters move to the main national news spots ( ITN ) (BBC ) and they have changed their accents to a slightly more ' posh -er ' English / International dialect .

Advertisement