Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Threat of Legal Action on Music Copyright

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

watty wrote: »
    Have everyone fund the parasites. Great. Why should honest people pay for people who have no respect for others rights?

Earlier in this thread you wrote: "Well that just shows she understands nothing about economics and thinks recording studios are free and all musicians want to do it as hobby."

Consider this 10 EUR as help for recording studios and musicians. It is not too much to ask for, is it?

If by the parasites you mean record companies, you have a point there. I do not understand why we should fund them either. But I also don't understand why they should be saying who will have internet access and who will not.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

I would pay 2euro for a complete album download at 320kbps or a good quality movie download with no DRM, and I havent paid for music or movies in years, at those prices I think I would replace all my existing music with the good quality legal stuff.

I think a lot us would and the music industry would make a lot of money, but will they bite the bullet, who knows, but if they did, I feel attitudes could change over a generation, and while piracy will always there, maybe it wont be as popular as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

I wonder what the position will be with the Russian download sites when the ISP's make their move?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

CaptSolo wrote: »

Consider this 10 EUR as help for recording studios and musicians. It is not too much to ask for, is it?

If by the parasites you mean record companies, you have a point there. I do not understand why we should fund them either. But I also don't understand why they should be saying who will have internet access and who will not.

No the 10 eur would just mostly go to labels and established artists. Such schemes give no incentive to have new talent or innovate. That kills music as faster than current situation.

The Labels and big companies are greedy. They are selfish symbiotes, the people who want it all for free or want EVERYONE to pay a music tax are the parasites.

I don't agree with idea a 3rd party tells the ISP that the user of an IP at such a date and time should be cut off. There should be some appeals mechanism.

However any of the proposed alternatives are worse. Doing nothing is not one of the options. But at least the deal means there is no transparency for the Rights Holder. They never know who is cut off or even if they are cut off. The rights holder never knows if an IP is never or always the same person.

Also it's unlikely in the absolute extreme that an innocent person could be "caught" three times. If deep packet inspection was used by the ISP, many innocent connections/people would be highlighted and those using encrypted traffic on ports 80 & 443 probably would not be detected. All users would bear the cost of such Hardware and Software and even slowdowns at peak periods. Also IPs of known file sharing servers (non P2P) would be blocked on such an alternate scheme.

The agents of the rights holders can set up many, many bots to connect to trackers, commence downloads or share content and snapshot the content (not file name), time/date and IP of the other p2p party. If there is no traffic at that time in the ISPs log or users traffic is not got a constant background, the ISP will likely conclude there is an error in the time/date (a time zone mistake is most likely cause, or spring/winter hour change, an IP error is unlikely) and ignore the request.

The Agents of the rights holders have been known to use more dubious techniques such as hacking servers, setting up honey pot servers etc. I'm sure a Server owner could even hand over a server to them if offered enough money...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Yawn. Watty really does know everything. He's drifted off the whole point that record labels are irrelevant because of the modern world and how downloads are actually helping most musicians.

I too will bow out as it is pointless arguing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

Internet-wide activity to protest against activities of IRMA towards disconnecting broadband users and Internet filtering is under way now:

Join #blackout Ireland

Twitter is a rapid way for spreading news about it. Latest updates: search for #blackout Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ionix5891

This is unbelievable, this is scandalous :eek: Al Capone would be proud of the media cartel. I have friends from around the world asking whether Ireland is not only going backwards economically but now on the path full blown censorship, the news travels so fast its scare the impression people are getting of this country

I rang the Minister Eamon Ryan's office and will shortly send an email and snail mail expressing my concerns

I will list contact details if other members want to express their views to the minister

web: http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/
    email: minister.ryan <AT> dcenr.ie
    phone; 01 - 618 3097
    fax: 01 - 618 4363

address:

Eamon Ryan TD
    Dáil Éireann
    Leinster House
    Kildare Street
    Dublin 2
    Ireland

We need to form some sort of Ireland Offline type movement as things are geeting crazy, I would be happy to host any blogs on the issue on my companies servers if required

This has gone way too far :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Evil Al

ionix5891 wrote: »
    I rang the Minister Eamon Ryan's office and will shortly send an email and snail mail expressing my concerns

Lads,

Keep it up. This sort of pressure really does help.

If you do feel strongly about this issue, please please also contact your ISP. Most ISPs are deciding within the next week how to respond on this issue and you as customers can make a real difference to what they decide to do. Every ISP that capitulates makes it harder for the others to fight it.

Your best point of contact is to write to "The Regulatory Affairs Manager" at the ISP's postal address, or to email their customer care email for the attention of The Regulatory Affairs Manager (I'm sure someone has a list...). Please explain your opinion but be polite!

Advertisement