Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) last night, it was very good, but a little dry in areas. Gary Oldman was great though.

I'm gonna watch the TV series (1979) tonight, anyone seen this yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Myth of the American Sleepover - sombre, somewhat dreamy look at a group of teenagers in one town spending their last night of summer holidays at various sleepovers. It's an honest, bittersweet look at teenage live, devoid of the usual hyperactivity you find in the teen genre. Despite its unusually subdued tone, one could certainly argue there's a lack of new insight underneath the confident delivery. It's slight, then, but it's unusual and engaging enough to be worth a watch. Closer to Freaks & Geeks then Dawson's Creek, if that means anything to you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

The Stoning of Soraya M. (see here for more details) watched on US Netflix

It is a film about an Iranian mother falsely accused of infidelity by her abusive husband and sentenced to death by stoning. As a middle aged guy, this brought tears to my eyes and it is sickening to think that even now, in the 21st century, there are women around the world who still endure this barbarity and cruelty, who can be convicted on the flimsiest of "evidence"

Nikita (Watched on US Netflix.)

TV series about a female who was taken from death row by a secret government agency and turned into an assassin. However after they kill a guy she becomes involved with she turns rouge and vows to bring the agency down. Bit like a female Jason Bourne and Maggie Q. and Lyndsy Fonsecca are two beautiful young women (IMHO) who play their parts really well.

2 Broke Girls (Downloaded)

TV series starring Kat Dennings (aka Max) and Beth Behrs (aka Caroline).

Taken from Wikiepdia
    Set in the Williamsburg neighborhood of the New York City borough of Brooklyn, the series chronicles the lives of two waitresses in their mid twenties—Max (Kat Dennings), who comes from a poor working-class family, and Caroline (Beth Behrs), who was born rich but is now disgraced and penniless due to her father, Martin Channing, getting caught operating a Bernard Madoff-esque Ponzi scheme—working together at a Brooklyn restaurant. The two become friends and build toward their dream of one day opening a cupcake shop. Among those working with them at the restaurant are their boss, Han Lee (Matthew Moy); Oleg (Jonathan Kite), an upbeat but perverted Ukrainian cook; and Earl (Garrett Morris), an older African-American cashier. Also featured is their neighbour and part time boss Sophie (Jennifer Coolidge) a Polish immigrant who runs the cleaning company Sophie's Choice. At the start of each episode Max is shown serving a table and at the end of each episode, a tally shows how much they have made toward their goal of $250,000.

I find this show and the humor really funny.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Exit Through the Gift Shop: Finally got around to seeing this. Thought it was brilliant. Very funny documentary. I don't know what to make of the whole Mr. Brainwash thing, whether Banksy was behind it all we'll never probably know I guess.

The Devil's Double: Very entertaining film with Dominic West playing Sadam Hussein's son and his double. Really enjoyed the first hour, then the last half hour goes a bit down hill. Either way it was an entertaining film but I seriously question the level of truth in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

johndoe99 wrote: »
    watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011) last night, it was very good, but a little dry in areas. Gary Oldman was great though.

I'm gonna watch the TV series (1979) tonight, anyone seen this yet.

Yes. It's excellent, as is 'Smiley's People'.

It's a slow burn, but worth every minute and Alec Guinness IS George Smiley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I watched Icarus last night, one of the worst feckin films I have seen. Dolph Lundgren's crappy "acting" was surpassed only by the stupidity of the script. Allow me to elaborate on one stand out scene below.

Hitmen are dispatched to kill lundgren, lundgren arrives at ex wife's house to hide out and is met by ex wife and ex wife's current husband/boyfriend. Two minutes later hitmen put a bullet into the new beau's eye inches away from ex wife's head, four minutes after that lundgren and ex wife are rolling around in bed together like the other guy never even existed!

I laughed at it and wished I could rewind it so I could laugh again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched Hugo tonight - good film and it looked fantastic but I felt the story could have moved a bit faster. I was very impressed by the kids in it though and it certainly made me a bit more hopeful that the Ender's Game movie will work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

Hugo 3D. Superb use of 3D and a fantastic movie. Excellent cast with Ben Kingsley giving a great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Recorded The Long Kiss Goodnight off TV the other day, thinking I might watch some of the highlights again, but ended up watching the whole thing. Features Samuel L Jackson chewing the scenery, while Geena Davis was turning in to a real action heroine in the 90s, both on screen (this, Thelma and Louise, A League Of Their Own, Cutthroat Island) and off (nearly making the US Archery team for the 2000 Olympics).

What I've only just found out is - you guessed it - there's been talk of a sequel, with Jackson developing a storyline for Renny Harlin to direct. No Geena, but Jackson would have a run-in with her character's daughter, who would be in her 20s now. Sounds like both Jackson and Harlin had such a good time making the first film, they want to do it again, but it's gone quiet.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Tiny Furniture

One of the most boring and annoying films I've ever seen. Not one character was likable. Save yourselves the bother and give it a miss

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

time after time

Another viewing for me for this timeless classic.

Hg wells pursues jack the ripper across time to modern day (1980s)
    san francisco and encounters the dipsy and wonderful mary steenburgen.

A totally brilliant time travel flick which boasts the wonderful malcolm
    mcdowell and david warner respectively.

There's a killer twist around the middle which will really make the
    blood boil.

And the ripper's demise will make you smile with glee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Cannibal the musical

first movie by south parks creators, they made it while they were in college.
    stuck my R1 dvd of this into my blu ray player, just to make 100% sure it wasn't region free.. and it worked, so I guess I have a region free dvd player now

years since I watched this movie, almost as amazing as the first time but i'll never experience the snowman song for the first time again.
    the songs are brilliant and the movie in general is hilarious (we are indians.. we have teepees) you get to see the birth of one or two south park elements too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Exorcismus (2010)

Good movie, much better then The Devil Inside and The Last Exorcism (2010) put together!

This movie is really well made, some good decent scene and the acting was descent, the twist near the end was good but the acting was bit off in that scene.

Last 10 mins were little odd and bizarre!
    7 out of 10

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

all about lily chou chou. it's one of those films I always have to just sit quietly and reflect on for a few minutes after the credits roll, can't believe it only has a RT score of 68%. film critics be crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Xevkin

Paprika

I admit that it was similar to what I expected - a film with both a surreal topic and art style - but it didn't stop me from being impressed. Felt as if the creaters' imaginations were unchained and allowed to go wild, but not in a self indulgent manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The Devil's Double: Very entertaining film with Dominic West playing Sadam Hussein's son and his double. Really enjoyed the first hour, then the last half hour goes a bit down hill. Either way it was an entertaining film but I seriously question the level of truth in it.

Dominic Cooper.

Dominic West was a fine Fred West though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

The Muppets - Still holds up. Love it.

The Sitter - As expected. Pretty boring, a couple of laughs, Jonah Hill just phones it in. Not Horrible, but not enthralling.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,159 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Birneybau wrote: »
    Dominic Cooper.

Dominic West was a fine Fred West though...

My bad, McNulty haunts every fibre of my being.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - Really top notch stuff again, not quite on par with No. 3 though. Pretty much everything that happens in Dubai is awesome!

Real Steel - I never had any intention to ever watch this due to it looking ridiculous, but with some good things I heard about it I decided to give it a shot. It's quite remarkable just how unoriginal this movie is, but bloody hell it's good fun!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Headhunters - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1614989/

Good thriller. The wife is a fine yoke. Lots of twists. My only criticism is that they should have lengthened it. Still dont understand why
    his partner in crime attacked him in the bed, maybe he was confussled or something

Not the best film of the year as some were claiming but still better than The Artist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

Once upon a time in Anatolia Dreadfully boring film, gave up at the half-way mark when nothing of note had happened at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Tony EH wrote: »
    Yes. It's excellent, as is 'Smiley's People'.

It's a slow burn, but worth every minute and Alec Guinness IS George Smiley.

Nooooo Gary Oldham IS George Smiley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Layer Cake

Very much enjoyed this one,
    loved the scene where Duran Duran is playing while some bloke is getting his ass kicked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

"The Way of the Gun" (2000) on TV3 last night I had the misfortune to see this (over the top of my laptop) but ended up switching it off. As somebody who enjoys escapist, violent movies of this genre I was very disappointed. Despite the presence of James Caan and Benicio Del Toro the movie never comes to life...one big yawn fest. Don't bother watching as life is too short! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Nooooo Gary Oldham IS George Smiley.
    John Le Carre dedicated one of the sequels to Alec Guinness on similar grounds, so I'm afraid that title is taken. Oldman is also superb though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

meeting evil with samuel l jackson, good film
    the awakening very good, made me want to watch the wire cos mcnulty is in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

four, i enjoyed this film, didnt expect much as the rating on imdb was only 3/10, it is shot in one warehouse with only four characters for the cost of 100,000.
    it is a british thriller that is worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Black Swan. 8/10

I thought it was very good. Interesting story that was very well told. Portman and Cassell are good but Mila Kunis stole the show imo.

That scene will ensure this gets watched a few more times.;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,129 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rango - solid animation that has enough quirks to be worth a gander. The inevitable albeit well handled pop-cultural references are a bit more cine-literate than most animated films, which is nice. The technical and character designs are very strong: especially all the talking animals, which are brilliantly ugly and eccentric for a change. The Western vibe is well considered, and there's some strong moments dotted throughout, including a vibrant midpoint action sequence.

However, it follows the exact same narrative formula as the vast majority of US animations. I know it's a kids film, but this is a three act structure to a fault. The predictability of the main narrative is at odds to the quiet subversion elsewhere, and the final act feels rushed and muddled. It'd be a welcome change for a film of this type to really push boundaries and do something completely different. But Rango is eccentric enough to carve its own identity at times, and (poster quote!) is at least considerably superior to Cars 2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Just watched Salem's Lot from 1979 the original. still very good even after all this time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement