Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Flicking through there and Anchors Aweigh with Gene Kelly,had a quick IMDB for it and the annoying kid in it is Al from Quantum Leap!! Brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

JAWS: Watching this on UTV and it never gets old.

just may be my favourite movie ever, its tied with Raiders. I've seen it countless times.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Speilberg's best film, bar none.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

My Week with Marilyn
    Thought this would be chick flick territory but was surprised with a nice well acted drama instead. Well acted with Brannagh the standout.
    Overall 7/10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Tony EH wrote: »
    Speilberg's best film, bar none.

War horse.spielbergs worst film bar none.i just didn't like it at all.overlong and over acted.especially jeremy irvine s character, what a whiny, wimpy, moaning character he was, jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just finished watching Moon and while it was good I felt very underwhelmed by the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tebowfan

I saw Old School for the first time, the Will Ferrell film.

Didn't expect it to be too funny but it definitely was.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If I had to pick any film to get the blu ray treatment it would be Jaws.

If I had to pick any film to get the blu ray treatment it would be Jaws Lawrence of Arabia.

FYP.

Jaws is due for release on the 14th of August in the US this year so expect a release over here around the same time.

And just watched Real Steel. I was expecting total crap but I actually really enjoyed it, maybe because of my low expectations but either way it was a good fun movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Watched Moneyball last night.

Hugely enjoyed it. Dialogue and most scenes were very good. I found Pitt and Hill fantastic. Their chemistry was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

JohnK wrote: »
    And just watched Real Steel. I was expecting total crap but I actually really enjoyed it, maybe because of my low expectations but either way it was a good fun movie.

I really enjoyed it as well, cheesy and predictable but felt like a nice throwback to 80's sci-fi, had that feel to it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,958 ✭✭✭✭bnt

After last week's Matrixathon, more distopian SF: 12 Monkeys. Dir. Terry Gilliam, with Bruce Willis, Madeleine Stowe, Brad Pitt, Christopher Plummer. The basic story is about Cole, a prisoner in a post-apocalyptic future, who is sent back in time to try to find samples of the virus that killed early everyone on the planet almost 40 years previously. The time travel process is a bit hit-and-miss and hard on the traveller: first, he lands in 1990, where he's declared mad and put in an insane asylum. They eventually manage to place him in 1996, but only after a detour to 1916, where he's wounded on the Somme. He's been repeatedly told that he can't change history, but still gets it in to his head that he can ...

No wonder Terry Gilliam liked the project, which he didn't write himself for once. I remembered it being a bit long and confusing when I saw it years ago, so I watched the film in two parts this time, breaking after Cole's first 1996 trip. Suffice to say that Cole (Willis) is one of the few sane people around - it's just that his story is mad.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Benzino

The Hunger Games - While it is a good movie, and I enjoyed it, I couldn't stop thinking of Battle Royale while watching it. It just seems like a censored version of it. Now I want to watch Battle Royale again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭sillo

Life During Wartime: Solondz' sequel to Happiness (albeit with different characters) doesn't quite work - maybe it's just less shocking now we're all a little more disillusioned, maybe the acting just wasn't strong enough, but this was overall quite disappointing for me.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo: Finchers version, not really my kind a movie (not a fan of meandering mystery-type affairs) but generally decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Benzino wrote: »
    The Hunger Games - While it is a good movie, and I enjoyed it, I couldn't stop thinking of Battle Royale while watching it. It just seems like a censored version of it. Now I want to watch Battle Royale again :D

Is Battle Royale really that good? Its one of them films ive been meaning to get a copy have but as of yet havent got around to it :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

ROLLERBALL

Johnathan E is James Caan.

Or is that the other way around?

:D

I liked the the scene with the trees exploding with the big guns. :cool:

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Magnolia. 7/10.

Interesting and unusual film. Tom Cruise is excellent and I thought his speeches were hilarious. Some very good performances throughout. Thought Macy's storyline was a bit weak even though I liked the parallel with the kid. Not sure what to make of the ending either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Went on a bit of a Spanish fest this weekend.

Juan de los Muertos (Juan of the Dead)
    Cuban zombie movie in similar fashion to the Shaun of the Dead. Enjoyable funny movie and well worth a watch if you enjoyed Shaun.

[REC]3 Génesis
    More zombie action. OK, this is not as good as the original. Plazo took over as the sole director for this version. Less of the handy cam (actually only the start of the movie is done with handy cam) and a more humorous element have been added which take away from what appealed in the others. More comedy splatter than scare you off your seat. Balagueró will retake the directors seat for the concluding movie [REC]4 Apocalypse, hopefully it returns to the former style.

Mientras duermes (Sleep Tight)
    And speaking of Balagueró, I loved this movie. It's a real evil vs innocence movie where Balagueró says that he gives the audience the option to decide which side to take... but does he really? I don't want to say too much without giving it away, but this is a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The Thing prequel – Far exceeded my expectations, really enjoyed it. Special effects, still not a patch on the original.

Apollo 18 – Fast forwarded through most of it, absolute garbage.

Crazy, Stupid, Love – Steve Carell should just stick to the office, one dimensional actor. Found it rather long and boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Act Of Valor: The movie uses actual Navy Seals so the dialogue is fairly clunky but you soon get lost in the action.If you're a fan of Call Of Duty games,this movie is right up your street.
    Nothing that we haven't seen before but a decent enough action flick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Weekend - British romance in the vein of Before Sunset or Lost in Translation. Two guys have a one night stand and spend the weekend chilling, taking drugs and emotionally bonding. The main dramatic complication of the film feels a little contrived to add urgency, but other than that it's pretty brutally honest and thoughtful. Definitely worth a gander.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I watched Pandorum the other night. Sci-fi horror starring Dennis Quaid and Ben Forster. The editing is a bit much, but overall I thought it was pretty good. It's no Alien, but it beats that '90s cheese-fest Event Horizon.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    The Thing prequel – Far exceeded my expectations, really enjoyed it. Special effects, still not a patch on the original.

Watched this too last night actually enjoyed it. Still not a patch on the original!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Snowtown

After having being looking forward to this for a long time I finally got to watch it at the weekend. It's based on the Snowtown murders of the 90's and the real-life story itself is disturbing.

I was quite dissapointed with it, to be honest. It focused more on the people involved than the actual crimes which would have been fine and an interesting angle had it not made a mess of the characters involved. At certain points it seems to warp into the future leaving you wondering where you were and who the hell was killed as their demise is only noted by audio over imagery. The only clue being the hair on the main character in it's different stages to give you any kind of idea of the passing of time.

As for being supposedly gruesome, I expected alot more with only one notable bit
    the bathtub scene with the half-brother's toenail
    and one awkward and disturbing scene
    said half-brother raping his half-brother
    . This movie isn't exactly going to horrify you as alot of people make out.

Acting was ok, though the main character spent most of his time staring, about to cry, and then crying while barely saying anything at all. I felt cold to his experience as he became desentized over time. The best performance was from the actor who portrayed Bunting, delivering an uneasy and menacing character thinly veiled by a smile under that scraggely beard.

Bleak and grimey but could have been so much better given the ample running time and the material the filmmakers had to work with. Less time on artistic shots and more on the character's themselves would've worked out better.

You really don't learn much about this story, the people involved and the full effects it had on them if you know nothing about the Snowtown murders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Confidence - thought it was quite poor. I might have enjoyed it a lot more if it was the first scam movie I'd ever seen, but frankly all the twists and turns were expected as they'd been done before. Best thing about it was when I finally figured out who Edward Burns reminded me of - Matthew Fox, specifically in Lost!

All About Steve - I knew nothing about it before watching. I thought it was rather good and was surprised at the dire reviews it got when I went reading about it afterwards. Definitely had a few laughs and though it was a bit schmaltzy at the end, at least it didn't go with the obvious ending of
    the leads ending up together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Watched the Replacements last night. my go-to pick me up movie. always makes me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

I watched Pandorum the other night. Sci-fi horror starring Dennis Quaid and Ben Forster. The editing is a bit much, but overall I thought it was pretty good. It's no Alien, but it beats that '90s cheese-fest Event Horizon.

I'm going to check this out tonight. Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Winter's Bone.

I'll be watching it for a second time as it was a blind buy on DVD, but I was little underwhelmed here. I can't fault the acting, the pacing, the direction or the mood of the piece. I don't know, can't put my finger on why it didn't win me over completely.

• Advertisement

Just finished The Man from Earth, very good movie. Well worth a watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement