Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mike Leigh's Another Year

Really very good film. A little bit depressing (more biterseet really) in some ways, thin on plot but very deep in character. Great performances all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Padjooshea

The horor genre is after taking off something rotten these days.Some are really good.The re-animator movies are so good in kind of a funny sick way.Kind of a spin-off of Frankenstein-woman.But it's done really well.I must of got at least a hundred genuine laughs.Like the Devil's rejects.Very dark humour.Rob Zombies sister is such a great bonus.How hot is she.Great ending featuring free bird.What an ender.I wonder why so many people watch these movies when they'd run a mile if it really happened to them.Another great one is 'Of mice and men.Really good ina sorrowful way.Great build up to a great ending.John Malkovich is awesome.Almost Clint Eastwood in class.What a great man Clint is.Still flying.When you have it you have it.Mystic River,Gran torrino etc.So good.He really knows how to create feeling ina movie.Anyone got some good movies with feeling?Sick of Hollywood love stories and re-makes.What will we have in the future?Remakes of remakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Padjooshea wrote: »
    The horor genre is after taking off something rotten these days.Some are really good.The re-animator movies are so good in kind of a funny sick way.Kind of a spin-off of Frankenstein-woman.But it's done really well.I must of got at least a hundred genuine laughs.Like the Devil's rejects.Very dark humour.Rob Zombies sister is such a great bonus.How hot is she.Great ending featuring free bird.What an ender.I wonder why so many people watch these movies when they'd run a mile if it really happened to them.Another great one is 'Of mice and men.Really good ina sorrowful way.Great build up to a great ending.John Malkovich is awesome.Almost Clint Eastwood in class.What a great man Clint is.Still flying.When you have it you have it.Mystic River,Gran torrino etc.So good.He really knows how to create feeling ina movie.Anyone got some good movies with feeling?Sick of Hollywood love stories and re-makes.What will we have in the future?Remakes of remakes!
    Sheri moon? That's his missus! I agree, Rob z seems to get a lot of grief, I think his movies are great. I used to cringe when I heard freebird.....but not after devils rejects!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Aviator, one of my favourite movies of the last 10 years, gets better ever time I watch it. Di Caprio should have won an oscar for it. love the look of it as well, from the colourised look of the 1920's scenes to the richer stuff in the later years. the score is brilliant too:

The Rocketeer (again) perfect hungover viewing, one of those just everything works movies, so underrated, hope they never remake it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Sherlock Holmes A Game of Shadows

Went to see this today and really enjoyed it.
    Great stuff,lots of LOL moments.Robert Downey Jr has made this new Sherlock Holmes character his own,just like Depp did with Jack Sparrow.Well worth a watch.

• Advertisement

He's a good actor.Robert Downey Junior.A good actor does so much for a movie.What would you give it out of 10 considering all aspests of film ie scene,location,plot.Might go and see it.

Rob Zombie's missus woops.What do you think of horror1.I thought horror had reached it's peek.But all of a sudden it's taken a leap.I watched Martyrs awhile bak and the fact i remember it so vividly means it stuck in my mind.Thus horror done it's job.It's great to watch a movie and want to be scared and actually get scared.Great for the scary girl factor too.I haven't got some many cuddles since Vin Diesel was in the Fast and the Furious.Thanx Vin.I got a tip that the Curious case of Benjamin Button was supposed to be excellent.Anyone know anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Our idiot Brother. Didn't expect that. Feel good to the max.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

Just watched: I Saw The Devil what a film the best I've seen in a long while. Gorey as f*** not for the faint hearted! 10 stars.....
    i second that, great film, best gorefest i have seen

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Hobo With A Shotgun. Jesus Christ. The most ridiculous film I've ever seen. I love it!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,179 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Describing the brilliance of I Saw the Devil as a mere gorefest is making me a sad panda :( It's a profound disservice to 2011's great genre experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

Amityville Haunting (2012)
    I have seen all 8 movies and the remake of Amityville.

Here comes the 10th movies in the series, which is a found footage movie for the series!.

The movies start with saying, This footage you are about to see is real!.

It start with 4 drunk teenagers who break in and then drink and have sex with there a bit of nudity , while filmed by Phone and we see some one sucked in the door and blood sprays and girls scream and cuts to black screen (This happens under 2 minutes at start of the movie.

Then it cuts to a new family moving into the house
    Dad and wife, oldest is daughter in her teens, only one boy who's that documenting the things around the house and there a little girl

You already know what roles they going to play!.

The acting and script were both really horrendous, all the chacaters are so annoying, that you what something really bad to happen to them, The boy was the only one that didn't annoy me at all!

This movie is not creepy or scary but do have one or two descent jumps scenes here and there and some scare are so utter silly that it will make who laugh!

The movie goes from bad to worse as it goes on and it is really hard to watch this movie, i still can not believe I saw the whole movie.

The worst movie in the series and this has to be one the worst horror movie of 2012! yes 2012.

1 out of 10 (1 because it made me laugh)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭simit

Cowboys and Aliens. Shockingly bad, I know I should've guessed it from the title but I like(d) Harrison Ford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Camera buff - Polish film from the 1970s about a factory worker who takes up filmmaking and gets corrupted by the state.

Anyone watch the-the descent.Great stuff.However i used to be afraid of going into caves until i conquered my fear by going into an unexplored in Tipp.Scary as hell.But so cool.Dark everywhere.What a haunt.But too damp.Now i won't be going near em anymore.I had so many plans.

Hated-gg allin, Todd Philips made this while in college. Mental.

Never seen it.Knew the director though.Since checked him out.What a turn around.He went from Hated to comedy.Mainstream won out.Good director so i know it'll be good.So-used his earlier work for his later films.Good thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

He's a good actor.Robert Downey Junior.A good actor does so much for a movie.What would you give it out of 10 considering all aspests of film ie scene,location,plot.Might go and see it.

Yeah Downey has great screen presence.I would give it 8/10 overall.Not a lot of deduction involved in this one,more a chase movie IMO,but entertaining stuff.

Dream House. Depite the rushed imo ending was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Getting into the Xmas buzz this week with Xmas movies. The GF wants to watch sloppy, smooshy Xmas movies, I want to watch anti-Xmas movies or ones that just take the piss.

No Die Hard since we only watched it recently :( (I'll still watch it again anyways as per my usual annual Xmas movie list)

Anyways, watched Home Alone for the 1st time in years, probably this millenium. Still pretty funny and really gets good when the theives try to get into the house once and for all. I still cringe at that nail on the stairs gag.

All those mob movies have me ruined as I kept expecting Pesci to lose it and litteraly bump off Culkin in a horrible mob way :pac:

The GF was in tears at the cheesy end, I mean she was in bits which I found hilarious.

Followed that up with the always watchable It's A Wonderful Life. At over 2 hours it feels like it's waaaaay longer but you never feel bored. I never get sick of James Stewart.

Was a bit hard to believe the GF knew absolutely zero about this movie, not even noticing anything that would appear elsewhere as a pop-cult reference. No tears were shed for that movie, though. :pac:

Next up for tonigh, Scrooged or Planes, Trains, & Automobiles. She wants to watch the horrendously cheesy American guff so I gotta wheel out these classics instead to prevent me from vomiting to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Up: Very enjoyable animated Pixar film. I've seen my fair share of Pixar films and they can't seem to do any wrong. I'm sure others may disagree but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And yeah I even had a tear in my eye at one stage:

Big whoop, wanna fight about it? ;)

ngbbs4ea863b515988.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Getting into the Xmas buzz this week with Xmas movies. The GF wants to watch sloppy, smooshy Xmas movies, I want to watch anti-Xmas movies or ones that just take the piss.

No Die Hard since we only watched it recently :( (I'll still watch it again anyways as per my usual annual Xmas movie list)

Anyways, watched Home Alone for the 1st time in years, probably this millenium. Still pretty funny and really gets good when the theives try to get into the house once and for all. I still cringe at that nail on the stairs gag.

All those mob movies have me ruined as I kept expecting Pesci to lose it and litteraly bump off Culkin in a horrible mob way :pac:

The GF was in tears at the cheesy end, I mean she was in bits which I found hilarious.

Followed that up with the always watchable It's A Wonderful Life. At over 2 hours it feels like it's waaaaay longer but you never feel bored. I never get sick of James Stewart.

Was a bit hard to believe the GF knew absolutely zero about this movie, not even noticing anything that would appear elsewhere as a pop-cult reference. No tears were shed for that movie, though. :pac:

Next up for tonigh, Scrooged or Planes, Trains, & Automobiles. She wants to watch the horrendously cheesy American guff so I gotta wheel out these classics instead to prevent me from vomiting to death.

I love the nail bit, just the quiet, squishy sound effect and Daniel Stern's reaction are brilliant. funniest part of the movie is when he has the spider put on his face, one of the greatest screams ever :pac:

That_Guy wrote: »
    Big whoop, wanna fight about it? ;)

ngbbs4ea863b515988.jpg

fkn awesome!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That_Guy wrote: »
    Up: Very enjoyable animated Pixar film. I've seen my fair share of Pixar films and they can't seem to do any wrong. I'm sure others may disagree but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And yeah I even had a tear in my eye at one stage

I disagree with that statement :pac:

Up is a fantastic movie and alot of people including myself teared up at the start.

The dog is brilliant too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

True Grit (new version)

Absolute masterpiece loved every bit of it and jeff bridges performance is absolutely flawless.

Never seen it.Knew the director though.Since checked him out.What a turn around.He went from Hated to comedy.Mainstream won out.Good director so i know it'll be good.So-used his earlier work for his later films.Good thinking.
    You can always count on Dee Dee Ramone for a classic quote: From "Hated"
    Todd Philips: "So Dee Dee what made you join the murder junkies?"
    Dee Dee: "the murder Junkies? is that what they're called?"

Ni-ice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

Describing the brilliance of I Saw the Devil as a mere gorefest is making me a sad panda :( It's a profound disservice to 2011's great genre experiment.
    i am sorry for calling "i saw the devil " a gorefest but i was in a bit of a hurry, it was definatley was the best film i have seen this year, superb acting and a very good story, i highly recommend it to all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭skeleton_boy

Batman Begins - The dark knight rises trailer got me so excited I decided to go back and revisit Nolan & Bale's first outing. Great film apart from Katy Holmes. Just wanted to dive straight into TDK but I might save it for Christmas night!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol for the first time tonight, what more can you say besides I teared up at Tiny Tim's (all the while knowing it was coming) scenes and the film wonderfully, and sincerely, mixed drama and comedy. Definitely worth its place in the Christmas cannon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement