Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should people shop up the north??

Options
  • 14-02-2009 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭

People should in my view...saves money and even the politicians are doing it..:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

They should, even one martin mcguinness shops in sainsbury's
    Incase anyone hadn't noticed money is tight at the minute, so we should shop where we are getting the best value for money.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I'm happy to pay extra in Ireland for the few shops that go the extra mile, Redmonds, Abbots Ales and World Wide Wines can pretty much charge what they like and will always have my support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

mayordenis I'm happy to pay extra in Ireland for the few shops that go the extra mile, Redmonds, Abbots Ales and World Wide Wines can pretty much charge what they like and will always have my support.
    I agree. There are not many craft irish brews you can get in Irish off licences. O'Hara's/Carlow which you can get in Tescos. Other then that what is generally availible maybe sometimes Whitewater?

In the north you can get the Hilden beers, Weaver's Gold and Whitewater beers. So if your into craft beers from this island the north is a great place to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

b0bsquish wrote: »
    They should, even one martin mcguinness shops in sainsbury's
    Incase anyone hadn't noticed money is tight at the minute, so we should shop where we are getting the best value for money.
    Yeah you are right.I have recently read a article in my local newspaper adviseing the people to shop locally and support local buissness.When I was reading it i felt like they were forceing you to shop locally.The writer was a local politician and i know for a fact that he done the same over christmas.
    I live close to the border, I find it really hard to shop locally when your paying twice the price rather than shopping up the north and a better selection, for less!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I can see a post coming along the lines of:

"Help! My local offy has closed down and I want to buy some beer/wine etc"

I'm all for stretching the euro as far as it will go but while there may be a short term gain in shopping in the North (assuming you factor in driving costs etc), we (and I've bought some stuff in the North, so I'm guilty too!) have to make sure that we keep some commerce going in the Republic.

Spread the love, that's what I say. Better still, let your local purveyor of fine beverages know that you go elsewhere for such and such - you might find they start to stock it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,812 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Prenderb wrote: »

I'm all for stretching the euro as far as it will go but while there may be a short term gain in shopping in the North (assuming you factor in driving costs etc), we (and I've bought some stuff in the North, so I'm guilty too!) have to make sure that we keep some commerce going in the Republic.

Spread the love, that's what I say. Better still, let your local purveyor of fine beverages know that you go elsewhere for such and such - you might find they start to stock it.

Yes, we're all guilty to some degree but what you say makes alot of sense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

For beer the north seem to have lower Alcohol on allot of beers and smaller cans, iirc Carlsberg up there is only 3.8% abv :O wtf? So I think for that I wouldn't mind buying beer up here, spirits up north seemed to be much cheaper though...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm happy to pay extra in Ireland for the few shops that go the extra mile, Redmonds, Abbots Ales and World Wide Wines can pretty much charge what they like and will always have my support.

I must say this; aside from the Centra/Spar type Offies in the "Free State", Irish Offies seem to have a better range of beer than many Offies in the North IMO provided your looking beyond the usual suspect brands.

I can see your point but does it not sicking you that the price of not just alcohol but nearly everything, besides razer blades, is far cheaper up north.
    Retailers in the Republic are extremely greedy, for e.g. a so called "bargain" in dunnes for a slab of bud (cans) is 35 euro...I went up north and paid £20 for three slabs :eek:..now there is some price difference.!
    Before anyone says anything about the strenght or weakness of the 2 currencys, I would like to say that in the 80s, during a recession, like we are in now, people also went north of the border for value because money was tight, like now also. The Irish government taxed people they caught bringing home grocceries down the south, trying to get every last cent out of us.
    I think the retailers should lower there prices a bit more and they might get a bit more buissness to keep them going, the price they have on things now is just a joke.

It doesn't sicken me, to be honest. I see the price difference arising from a couple of differences between the 2 jurisdictions/countries.

1 - Both economies are based on different cost bases. I suspect (recession aside, as it's more recent than these price differences) that for a given job, an employee in the Republic would earn much higher wages than an equivalent employee in the UK/North. This means that prices are naturally higher here because the higher wage forms a higher element of cost on a product, as well as Mr. and Mrs. Bloggs being able to afford a higher price. We (in the Republic) are on the higher-earning side, so it seems less fair to us.

2 - The currency difference hasn't been as favourable as it has been in the last what, 2, maybe 3 months? So we never thought things were cheaper in the North (except for the cars, but that's the VRT) until the last couple of months.

I don't think it's fair to call retailers in Ireland greedy. Most costs in running a business are higher in Ireland, so the prices (and ability to pay, which is relative) are naturally higher. If you're in business you have to earn a profit, and the only way to do this is to sell stuff at higher price than it costs, and if the costs are higher, the price is higher. Remember that wages everywhere are more expensive, so light and heat, delivery charges, wages, security, everything is that bit more expensive than in another economy, but we can afford to pay for them because of the higher wages! Vicious circle....

Not to mention that our leaders upped VAT by 0.5% (an increase of about 2.5%!) whereas those in the North dropped it by (correct me if I'm wrong) 2% to 15% (a reduction of more than 5%). That exacerbates the differential too!

It absolutely does seem that way if you go into a "dual citizenship" shop where the jumper that costs €40 in Dublin costs £25 (maybe 25 to 30% less in cost...) in Belfast, but I think that only seems to be much of a price difference right now in light of the current situation between the pound and the euro. 18 months ago I don't think anyone would have thought that price difference was unfair.

I reckon the big thing between the prices is that we earn more, stuff costs more - those are the swings and the roundabouts in the economic playground. As I saw in a shop window once - keep your town in business by keeping your business in town.

Also, I bet nobody buys fuel across the border...

• Advertisement

It doesn't sicken me, to be honest. I see the price difference arising from a couple of differences between the 2 jurisdictions/countries.

1 - Both economies are based on different cost bases. I suspect (recession aside, as it's more recent than these price differences) that for a given job, an employee in the Republic would earn much higher wages than an equivalent employee in the UK/North. This means that prices are naturally higher here because the higher wage forms a higher element of cost on a product, as well as Mr. and Mrs. Bloggs being able to afford a higher price. We (in the Republic) are on the higher-earning side, so it seems less fair to us.

2 - The currency difference hasn't been as favourable as it has been in the last what, 2, maybe 3 months? So we never thought things were cheaper in the North (except for the cars, but that's the VRT) until the last couple of months.

I don't think it's fair to call retailers in Ireland greedy. Most costs in running a business are higher in Ireland, so the prices (and ability to pay, which is relative) are naturally higher. If you're in business you have to earn a profit, and the only way to do this is to sell stuff at higher price than it costs, and if the costs are higher, the price is higher. Remember that wages everywhere are more expensive, so light and heat, delivery charges, wages, security, everything is that bit more expensive than in another economy, but we can afford to pay for them because of the higher wages! Vicious circle....

Not to mention that our leaders upped VAT by 0.5% (an increase of about 2.5%!) whereas those in the North dropped it by (correct me if I'm wrong) 2% to 15% (a reduction of more than 5%). That exacerbates the differential too!

It absolutely does seem that way if you go into a "dual citizenship" shop where the jumper that costs €40 in Dublin costs £25 (maybe 25 to 30% less in cost...) in Belfast, but I think that only seems to be much of a price difference right now in light of the current situation between the pound and the euro. 18 months ago I don't think anyone would have thought that price difference was unfair.

I reckon the big thing between the prices is that we earn more, stuff costs more - those are the swings and the roundabouts in the economic playground. As I saw in a shop window once - keep your town in business by keeping your business in town.

Also, I bet nobody buys fuel across the border...

A person of wisdom;)

Also, if we want our local traders to charge less, then taking away their trade may not be be a wise way of doing this. That route leads to no local traders, good or bad! And then in comes the corporate, suburban traders!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

People should shop where ever they get the best value. Competition is king.

JHMEG wrote: »

You are correct, if they can shop for better value up north, why not?:)

JHMEG wrote: »

I agree to a point but following that religiously leads to a land with only large chain stores and retail parks where only the mass market is catered for.
    That's not for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Hamndegger wrote: »
    I must say this; aside from the Centra/Spar type Offies in the "Free State", Irish Offies seem to have a better range of beer than many Offies in the North IMO provided your looking beyond the usual suspect brands.

I don't know about Northern Ireland, but that's certainly true in London, as a result of their licensing laws.

Unlike Ireland, 90% of convenienience stores sell alcohol, most selling only the most popular brands.

As a result, there are very few dedicated off licences, which would have a wider stock, so ironically it's harder to find more obscure beers and spirits in England, than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Blisterman wrote: »
    As a result, there are very few dedicated off licences, which would have a wider stock, so ironically it's harder to find more obscure beers and spirits in England, than Ireland.

Off topic I know but this should interest you Blisterman utobeer Borough market

http://www.utobeer.co.uk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 lukasbasic

was in Lisburn/Sprucefield last weekend. I can really recommend to going there and skipping Newry. The biggest grocery store I've seen in ireland. You save in average 40% on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I was up there at the weekend too as it happens, groceries etc, especially non-perishable stuff like pasta (1kg = £1.49 vs €3.55), rice, household stuff is definitely 40-50% cheaper, as for beer & wine - just the selection is amazing, never minding the price. Only thing I didn't find cheaper was some fruit and veg type stuff, although some of it was (e.g. brocolli for 30p a head).

In short, if I was up there for a weekend I'd do a big stock up on stuff I know I'd use up over the period between trips, but I couldn't be arsed going up on a weekly or even monthly basis really - I do a lot of my 'staple' shopping in the 'germans' with those robbing tesco gits only getting a fraction of what they used to, mainly in the way of stuff like milk, bread etc.

They also take laser cards up there too, as well as euro notes. Tells you how many folk are shopping up there for them to do that.

In terms of beer though, I don't buy anything mainstream, so I have no option but to happily go to my local which stocks a wide range of quality beers and is on my doorstep - although of course it now closes at 10, just when things start to get good on the tv :( Yes of course I wish the prices here were lower than they are, but in fairness if my primary consideration in choosing a beer was the price then I'd be buying the tesco fizzy yellow specials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

If you can get 3 crates of bud for £20 then I say fcuk patriotism and head North.

Sure it's easy to say that, and on the face of it it makes sense - market capitalism and all that. However, things are bad enough here in terms of consumers - if your best mate/sister/aunt/uncle/brother/other random relation is being let go because people aren't shopping in local shops (for local people....) and the business is unsustainable then we'll all be worse off.

• Advertisement

Sure it's easy to say that, and on the face of it it makes sense - market capitalism and all that. However, things are bad enough here in terms of consumers - if your best mate/sister/aunt/uncle/brother/other random relation is being let go because people aren't shopping in local shops (for local people....) and the business is unsustainable then we'll all be worse off.

There needs to be a balance. Lots of businesses will go down that I'll have no sympathy for - greedy, cynical businesses that creamed it in the good times. I can understand people going from an Irish, faceless, corporate retailer to the same up north but what needs to be fostered is the support of local producers and suppliers. I've really started to think in terms of "if you like it, then support it or it won't exist". No point in saying that such and such is a great bar or restaurant or shop and never supporting it.
    Think about what you want in your community and support the good efforts.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

There needs to be a balance. Lots of businesses will go down that I'll have no sympathy for - greedy, cynical businesses that creamed it in the good times. I can understand people going from an Irish, faceless, corporate retailer to the same up north but what needs to be fostered is the support of local producers and suppliers. I've really started to think in terms of "if you like it, then support it or it won't exist". No point in saying that such and such is a great bar or restaurant or shop and never supporting it.
    Think about what you want in your community and support the good efforts.

+1.

People should shop were there getting value, they should`nt feel like they have to spend extra to give there town buissness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

I wouldn't get bogged down in the morals of people taking their euros across the border. At the best of times, people will act in their own interest (I remember from my Economics days - "Homo Economicus" is what the average, rational person is called). Throw in a nasty recession, and the whole debate debate becomes even more pointless.

I like to shop in Superquinn. But it seems as though I can't walk through their door without dropping fifty blades. Pinenuts - six quid? Maple syrup - six quid? "Bling" Water* - forty five quid? It's just as well for them that I have such a low tolerance for the too-big shopping trolleys of Lidl and the motorway trip to Newry, or I'd never go near them.

I have some, but not too much, sympathy for Irish retailers caught in the mix now. I understand that costs are high in Ireland, and that the big, bad world has decimated their trade, but is sympathy a one-way street? Where was the compassion for the little guy for the past decade? I'm kind of digressing here, I know margins in retail aren't much to write home about...

But still, people are under pressure these days. You may as well bid the sun not to rise as tell them to shop where it's more expensive.

Obviously this is a beer-wine-spirits forum. I would hate to see anything damage that sector in this country, or reduce the range of products available and dumb things down to supermarket level. I will always support the little guy as long as he has the better product, as he often has in this game.

If I spend two quid more on a bottle? Pah! My wife went through that bullsh*t M-50 toll when it first opened and she wasn't sure now to pay. Now we're getting fines for E85 in the post (which we will never pay) - that's the value of money in Ireland.

In summary, it depends what way you look at it. I would never shop in Northern Ireland myself because I like my comforts and I'm not so strapped for cash that I need to drive to another country to buy eggs. But I wouldn't argue against anyone who did.

I think it's a good think to support local enterprises that are worthy of that support. Many are, some aren't.

I'm best man at a wedding in Cork in April and the groom asked me to source the wines. I'm not even looking up North, there are enough good importers down south.

*I never bought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

flag123 wrote: »
    Retailers in the Republic are extremely greedy, for e.g. a so called "bargain" in dunnes for a slab of bud (cans) is 35 euro...I went up north and paid £20 for three slabs :eek:..now there is some price difference.!
    Before anyone says anything about the strenght or weakness of the 2 currencys....

I think the retailers should lower there prices a bit more and they might get a bit more buissness to keep them going, the price they have on things now is just a joke.
    In all these discussions people mention currency etc, but the one huge factor often left out is the wholesale price. If Irish retailers sold stuff at cost they still not be able to match UK prices, even ignoring VAT & operation costs.

I am not sure of the difference in duty between here & the UK too, most just look at the VAT, but on alcohol you have huge duty too. The shop in the north selling at £20 could well be making more profit than dunnes selling at €35, so who is the real greedy retailer in that case? it is often the distributors & manufacturers who are greedy.

Many retailers just cannot compete even selling at a loss, so they will just have to move with the times and find something else to sell. If your product is not competitive then you cannot expect people to buy it as a form of charity. Should I still buy VHS tapes since I feel sorry for companies who invested in them just before DVDs came out, and have to keep people in jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I bought 2 bottles of 1L Baileys at tenner a pop recently up there. They retail for about 26quid here across all shops so after conversion, thats 30quid saving on just 2 bottles. Petrol costs 20quid return from Enniskillen for me, so i have already saved 10quid before i even start buying any other alcohol & groceries.

Baileys is manufactured here so i am helping their export market plus I always buy loads of Kilkenny when up north so in a way i am helping exporters down here and keeping people who make the stuff in jobs!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

gurramok wrote: »
    Baileys is manufactured here so i am helping their export market
    'Fraid not. Diageo run two Baileys plants: one in Nangor Road, Dublin and one up north in Mallusk which supplies the UK market and is where your bottle will have come from.

I had to goto the fridge just there to check!!

Nothing about Mallusk on the 1L bottles. It says on the front 'R&A Bailey & CO. Nangor Road, Dublin 12' as well as the usual 'Product Of Of Ireland' which is also on the back.
    'For further information', contact the D12 address above.

From the web link for Clondalkin..
    'Baileys Original Irish Cream is produced at Nangor Road in Dublin for markets around the world'
    'Baileys production is shared between the Nangor Road site in Dublin and the new facility at Mallusk, just outside Belfast.'

The Mallusk one just says..
    'Diageo Baileys Global Supply, based in Mallusk, Co Antrim, is a new, world-class production facility.'

I've bought smaller bottles before up north and still have a few left. One 700ml bottle marked as 'The Original' says the same as above on the front and on the back says 'Produced and Bottled in the Republic Of Ireland at' - Nangor

Now, look at this. The other flavoured bottles(Mint etc) 700ml have the same on the front as above but the back is different. It says 'Diageo Great Britain Ltd, Henrietta Place, London WIG ONB' and has nothing about the Republic.

The supermarkets must be sourcing them from both sites. The big bottles which are only available as 'Original' as labelled here and only the flavoured smaller ones are labeled as UK.
    I'm afraid you're mistaken unless the bottles in question are mislabellled ;)

ooooo this could be fun!!!!:)

internet-duty.png

• Advertisement

Funny alright. My mispellings in th epost are not from me knocking back a few bottles, I'm not an alco yet :D

Damn, BeerNut has made me thirsty for my Baileys now. I'll have to go back up north to re-supply when i'm finished the bottle, morning after of course :D

Advertisement