Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 in 3 are creationists?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Mena - Storey's been making a lot of noise lately, but so far he's the only one.

I really doubt any Irish museums are going to be showing creationist tripe, and I imagine the response if they do will be very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭pts

sink wrote: »
    To put a positive spin on it. Hopefully the moderate DUP voters will be alarmed and not vote in the extremely conservative evangelicals of their party next election.
    Who knows, maybe she'll become the Sarah Palin of Norther Irish politics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's a term I've only come across in the past couple of weeks on here and in a few articles i read. Is it an official movement in itself or just a general term who believe that genesis is literal?

Its not a movement per se, and you're right in your assumption. Young Earth Creationists take the literal view that the earth was created by God fully formed and populated in 6 days and while the old earth guys agree in principle with the God and Earth business, they are at least prepared to acknowledge that a 144 hour period in this instance seems a bit far fetched and prefer to interpret a "day" as an epoch of an undetermined period, perhaps millions or billions of years.

As regards the seemingly high prevalence of "creationism", I don't think its really true. I think a majority of people haven't paid it much thought and are not necessarily bible literalists, (or literate for that matter :D ) By and large I'm not too worried for this side of the Atlantic just yet. Well not worried from a evangelical takeover point of view anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

In shocking new development new survey says opposite of old survey. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/mar/02/charles-darwin-creationism-intelligent-design

I love this bit though, shows what you're dealing with
    A further 3% of those surveyed thought Darwin wrote The God Delusion, by the arch-atheist and Oxford biologist Richard Dawkins, while 1% thought Darwin was the author of The Naked Chef by Jamie Oliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Used to work for TNS MRBI, you can get an answer depending on how you ask certain questions, so you can only imagine what someone could do if they were writing the questions

• Advertisement
Advertisement