Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C.I.T is a farce

Options
  • 11-02-2009 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭

:mad::mad::mad:

Since we've been back there have been days when we have had no lectures because we can't get a room. Other times we haven't had certain lectures because there is no lecturer to teach us. Our 3rd year course co-ordinator has resigned from his position because he doesn't want the hassle anymore and my entire class including other lecturers agree with his stance on this.

We have been told by a certain lecturer to put our grievances in writing to the head of the department but what the hell do you put in it? We don't necessarily want to piss him off because he could possibly help us get jobs in the future but the way our course is ruin is nothing short of a disgrace!!:mad::mad::mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

I agree its rediculoious we have a lecture with 52 students and there should only be 40- 2 classes of 20 we dont have half enough computers and not enoughs seatx in our labs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

ya my class got really shafted aswell for the elective module. more than half the class(like 13) wanted to do PC security for our elective and when we came back last week they just said, oh sorry we can't run that class. i heard it was cuz of cut backs as they have the lecturers for it. We were then told that our choices were HCI or commmunication. Tbh i don't want to do either like so i chose HCI which i think was the lesser of the 2 evils.

Hartyk87 thats sounds like my HCI class. R u in too. What do u make of the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Hartyk87

suppafly wrote: »
    ya my class got really shafted aswell for the elective module. more than half the class(like 13) wanted to do PC security for our elective and when we came back last week they just said, oh sorry we can't run that class. i heard it was cuz of cut backs as they have the lecturers for it. We were then told that our choices were HCI or commmunication. Tbh i don't want to do either like so i chose HCI which i think was the lesser of the 2 evils.

Hartyk87 thats sounds like my HCI class. R u in too. What do u make of the class.

Yes suppafly im in the same class!!! Im also doing HCI and wanted to do PC security also and was told no. have you got your project done for tomorrow??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Infinitizer

Hmmmmmmm Cark!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Sure they can't even afford toner now, budget used up for this month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭yy885

budget used up for this month. <<wtf:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Sure they can't even afford toner now, budget used up for this month.

thats harsh on the prez if he cant even afford the toner, on the other hand at least he got his portrait done...for a measly 30 odd thousand euro, at least he recognises the important things:o

aaronh007 wrote: »
    thats harsh on the prez if he cant even afford the toner, on the other hand at least he got his portrait done...for a measly 30 odd thousand euro, at least he recognises the important things:o
    Yeah heard about them. Bit of a disgrace.

Another thing that is bad in CIT is that in the computer labs in the IT building there are always like 2 or 3 computers not working. Either they won't connect to the student domain or they just restart all the time or something. Fairly bad they don't fix them. They just leave them like that for ages
    Hartyk87 wrote: »
    Yes suppafly im in the same class!!! Im also doing HCI and wanted to do PC security also and was told no. have you got your project done for tomorrow??

So there def was enough to do the class they just didn't bother there ass.

I finished off that assignment this morning. Mine was just about the eircom electronic voice system and how sh*t it is.

Another thing that is bad in CIT is that in the computer labs in the IT building there are always like 2 or 3 computers not working. Either they won't connect to the student domain or they just restart all the time or something. Fairly bad they don't fix them. They just leave them like that for ages

So there def was enough to do the class they just didn't bother there ass.

I finished off that assignment this morning. Mine was just about the eircom electronic voice system and how sh*t it is.
    If they don't connect to the student domain, try placing @student.cit.ie at end of your user. I know you may be thinking this is the same as selecting it but not always as windows has cached domain logon information that may be out dated, ie DNS inconsistency between student and IP. Seen the problem on quite a few computers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

ya my class got really shafted aswell for the elective module. more than half the class(like 13) wanted to do PC security for our elective and when we came back last week they just said, oh sorry we can't run that class.

You need 16 people to elect a module before it will be run. So while more than half the class wanted to do it, this was still below the required number.

If you're getting annoyed about modules not being run, drop out now, cos you've a looooong road of dropped modules ahead of you. Ask any of the third or fourth years...

You need 16 people to elect a module before it will be run. So while more than half the class wanted to do it, this was still below the required number.

If you're getting annoyed about modules not being run, drop out now, cos you've a looooong road of dropped modules ahead of you. Ask any of the third or fourth years...
    Not necessarily. I've only 5 in one of my modules. There are other similar modules as well.

I was in one of the labs in the IT building the other day and somone spotted that the side of the case was coming off a bit. We had a look and someone had robbed the cpu and the heatsink out of the computer. wtf like!?! i think it was in it 2.3. one of the computers by the window

Yeah this is happening lately. New rules, well dunno if official yet, but if you caught leaving someone in when they don't have a ID card, you in trouble. Latest stuff, don't blame them though, all sort people coming in. Don't even see why people would want to steel them anyways, the risk and what you get isn't worth it.

Yeah this is happening lately. New rules, well dunno if official yet, but if you caught leaving someone in when they don't have a ID card, you in trouble. Latest stuff, don't blame them though, all sort people coming in. Don't even see why people would want to steel them anyways, the risk and what you get isn't worth it.

I never let other people in that i don't know. Ya i dunno why u want to rob one of them. The computers aren't even that great. Really stupid.

I feel yer pain, finished in cit last year so never did semester.

But regards the facilities for my class last year

1. ran out of paper for term in October, new batch wasn’t in till January
    2. second batch ran out in February, no more paper, we were asked by 1 lecturer to buy some in tesco
    3. prefabs are a disgrace, 1 way of getting sick for a few weeks
    4. new building cant have classes cos the rooms are too cold
    5. studying in the library at xmas with no heating and then in the summer they turned on the heating, idiots
    6. library hours too limited
    7. no funds for final year project.

now what really annoyed me was there excuse of funds, yet at the same time they putting up college maps, the fancy 1s, around the college, putting in flatscreens that remained off and not connected for ages. Also the creation of all these new positions, ie head of school, creating an extra layer of bureaucracy in the college and hence a massive addition to the payroll.
    And then to top it off, they apply for university status. They need to sort out the college before they should dare apply for this. Also hope ye all know university status means even higher wages for all the staff, wheres all this money going to come from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Not necessarily. I've only 5 in one of my modules. There are other similar modules as well.

Ya but these modules were running either way. Obviously modules can be run with less than 16 (we only have 12 in our course). The point I was making was that if a module is not running, for that situation to be reversed it needs a mandate of 16 people, or so Jim O'Dwyer will tell you when you ask why unpopular modules have not run...

Ya but these modules were running either way. Obviously modules can be run with less than 16 (we only have 12 in our course). The point I was making was that if a module is not running, for that situation to be reversed it needs a mandate of 16 people, or so Jim O'Dwyer will tell you when you ask why unpopular modules have not run...
    No one selected any modules until we came back. Some people only confirmed them this week. 5 of us selected our module and it went ahead. But I know where you are coming from, if a module was never supposed to run and people want it to, needing that many would make sense.

Advertisement