Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Downsizing Focus to Fiesta?

Options
  • 09-02-2009 9:10pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is this a mad idea folks?

I'm thinking of going from an 07 Focus (a good spec. 1.6 3 door) to a new 3 door Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S. Looks like I can cut an ok deal with a main dealer with a lowish cost to change.

The attractions are:

1/. New car.
    2/. Low tax (€150p.a vs c.€450)
    3/. Zetec S is a great little car to drive.

Negatives:

1/. Smaller car (not that much smaller in reality).
    2/. Not as well equipped as the Focus, although it's not bad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

i saw a black one in CAB in cork last week. Looked the dogs. If you dont need a bigger car and you're happy with it then go for it. The reviews are great for it but the ride is supposed to be very firm. I was well impressed by the look of it and thought the interior was good

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thanks EPM. Ride was fine on the test drive. Current car has 17" alloys and sports suspension/205 tyres, so I'm not too bothered. Handling of the Fiesta was good.

If you're happy with it then go for it. They really do look impressive

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Alicano

New fiesta looks savage..id say its nice and pokey with a 1.6l.
    Enjoy.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Only problem I would have is that if you ever grow out of the Fiesta and want to upgrade to a bigger car it will cost a fortune.

I'm having this problem now with my Focus, my last car was from a class above and now we are taking about expanding the family which will make life difficult with the Focus. That and I prefer driving bigger cars. :)

BTW how much is the cost to change out of interest?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Very little bazz tbh. I refuse to do the whole finance thing.

The way I'm thinking is if I need a bigger car later, I'll probably import a diesel.

you sound sold on it. Just out of interest, what colour? Best of luck with it if you go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If you're happy and only have to pay little for the change, go for it. Your Focus still has a lot of depreciation to do in the next 2 or 3 years, which for the Fiesta is less of an issue as it is a brand new model and superminis just depreciate a lot less the first few years compared to family hatches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

If the journos are to be believed the Fiesta is all the car you'll ever need. If you can live with the downsides which you mention then go for it. The only thing that would needle me would be how good the next Focus is going to in a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I saw one at at the weekend - looks like a mighty car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

sounds like a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Not mad. As you're finding out, new gen small cars are bigger than the older model up the line.

This is why they have to 're-invent' the small car every few years. E.g. a VW Fox is the size of the 'old' Polo, and the current Polo is near as dammit the size of the 'old Golf'.

Me, I'd do it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

EPM wrote: »
    you sound sold on it. Just out of interest, what colour? Best of luck with it if you go ahead

They have a black one in stock. I'd prefer red though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

I'd go for it if you can live with the down sides no reason not to. Saw a black one and it looked very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

The new fiesta is a cracking looking car, the only question I would have is over the saleability of a 1.6 fiesta in a year or two versus a 1.4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The zetec S is a crackin little car, i drove one yesterday. Great car to go, good looker, loads of kit.

If you can live with the difference in size, then go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Watch the alloys in those low profile tyres, as they are soft as butter. My girlfriend has a 2005 Steel and while a nice car the alloys take a beating on the Irish roads and lead to soft tyres more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

bf wrote: »
    The new fiesta is a cracking looking car, the only question I would have is over the saleability of a 1.6 fiesta in a year or two versus a 1.4

In "old money" this would be true, but the Op has stated that the Road Tax is just €150 thanks to CO2 emissions rating system. So this should not be a factor.
    If you don't need the bigger car OP then the new Fiesta looks like a nice car. I think Top Gear did a good job promoting this season AFAIK.

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I'll go ahead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Have you thought about downgrading to a Mito? :D

http://www.alfaromeo.com/

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Have you thought about downgrading to a Mito? :D

http://www.alfaromeo.com/

I get a Ford employee discount, so financially that'd make no sense.

Nice cars though.

p.s. The Alfa website broke (no joke) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

So unusual to hear someone downsizing from a Focus to a Fiesta but it does seem like a really good choice, especially as it's the new model Fiesta. Also, going from a 1.6 Focus to a 1.6 Fiesta, you'll probably feel like a Rally driver with the extra poke because of the reduced weight in the Fiesta compared to the Focus :).

Just out of interest what's the difference in fuel economy?

r3nu4l wrote: »
    So unusual to hear someone downsizing from a Focus to a Fiesta but it does seem like a really good choice, especially as it's the new model Fiesta. Also, going from a 1.6 Focus to a 1.6 Fiesta, you'll probably feel like a Rally driver with the extra poke because of the reduced weight in the Fiesta compared to the Focus :).

Just out of interest what's the difference in fuel economy?

Around town I wouldn't expect much difference tbh, but I don't cover huge mileage so it's not too important.

On a longer drive I'd hope to see maybe a 10-15% improvement. Having said all that I did just under 100 miles yesterday in the Focus and the computer told me I averaged nearly 45mpg at or marginally over the 100kph allowed.

The Fiesta Zetec S has a 120bhp 1.6 (20bhp more than the Focus) with Ti-Vct (variable valve timing) engine, and is brisk enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Also, going from a 1.6 Focus to a 1.6 Fiesta, you'll probably feel like a Rally driver with the extra poke because of the reduced weight in the Fiesta compared to the Focus :).

Anyone have the weights of both, I am sure the Fiesta has got more porky, may not be that much in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Anyone have the weights of both, I am sure the Fiesta has got more porky, may not be that much in it.

Don't think so. Quite the opposite in fact. The Fiesta is based on the Mazda 2 and has inherited Mazda's weight-reduction policy AFAIK.

Saw a Fiesta yesterday, don't get what the big fuss is over the looks, Mazda 2 is much nicer IMO (but I'm a Mazda fan).

Around town I wouldn't expect much difference tbh, but I don't cover huge mileage so it's not too important.

On a longer drive I'd hope to see maybe a 10-15% improvement. Having said all that I did just under 100 miles yesterday in the Focus and the computer told me I averaged nearly 45mpg at or marginally over the 100kph allowed.

The Fiesta Zetec S has a 120bhp 1.6 (20bhp more than the Focus) with Ti-Vct (variable valve timing) engine, and is brisk enough.

My dad has a 115PS version of this engine in his Focus. You'd be very suprised by the economy on a long journey. He can regularly see 48 MPG on a good run so I'd be expecting close on that from the Fiesta.

Only thing though, would the gearing in the Fiesta be lower to add to the sporty feel and all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

pburns wrote: »
    Mazda 2 is much nicer

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

ford-fiesta-zetec-s-2008-07-16-titel.jpg

Looks well in blue. Nice car though, nice to have something different. I say go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

They look very impressive and seem good value too. reckon it will be No. 1 seller in Ireland this year.

• Advertisement

Car was ordered today. I should have it bythe end of the month (it's in Ford's depot/yard in Cork).

Advertisement