Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You aren't born Atheist

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Obni

We are all born athiests.

The perception of outside agencies develops as an infant matures. I would have thought that before the age of 3, mentioned by Wicknight, the human brain would be capable of seeking out patterns in the regularities of certain agencies and the seemingly random nature of others. What could be more fundamental than an emerging comprehension that appealing for comfort from the distress or hunger you experience often has the desired result? Would the relief come without the appeal? I would say by 3 we are well primed to begin the journey toward filling in all the missing details. Whether we are

=====

You know what people? Plato's cave. G'night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    I don't believe there is a great difference between the intellectual positions really - I am an atheist because I have never heard or seen any remotely convincing evidence for a God, so I don't believe in one. Someone who has never heard of the concept of God is in the same position.

Um, no this just isn't the case. Do you think that it is likely you would have come to this position if you were born in mediaeval times?

No, your atheism is dependent on your awareness of the concept of God, and your own cultural context in late 20th/21st century Ireland. You are in a vastly different position to someone who had never heard of God.

It is not that this hypothetical person/baby has never heard or seen any remotely convincing evidence for a God, it is that they have never heard or seen any claim or testimony about a God.

The person who has never heard of God is in the same position on the God question no matter what period of history they live in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

did really say supernatural, or just fables?

Advertisement