Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Accused of trying to use a fake €50 note

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

after a few minutes arguing in which i told her to call the guards then she let me have my money back and go. I went into the shop next door which had the marker and a blue light and they verified it was real

she also gave the note back and told the op to go when the guards were mentioned and afaik made no offer to call the guards herself and more importantly was not making any arrangments to take the op's details for returning the note if it was ever checked out properly!

it is most likely a scam and it can be going on all the time as different customers would not necessarily be talking to each other especially in a large town or city area and €50 an hour is a nice bonus for any shop assistant!

i dont see ignorance(except for anyone who would not insist on the guards being called) or innocence here just greed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

foggy_lad wrote: »
    she also gave the note back and told the op to go when the guards were mentioned and afaik made no offer to call the guards herself and more importantly was not making any arrangments to take the op's details for returning the note if it was ever checked out properly!

it is most likely a scam and it can be going on all the time as different customers would not necessarily be talking to each other especially in a large town or city area and €50 an hour is a nice bonus for any shop assistant!

i dont see ignorance(except for anyone who would not insist on the guards being called) or innocence here just greed

Have to agree. Any store I ever worked in the policy was the note couldn't be given back and you had to call either a manager or the guards to deal with it straight away. Never heard of floor staff dealing with fake notes by themselves, normally the staff member is quick to call a manager and let them get yelled or at the very least have another member of staff double check the note in case they have made a mistake. I've seen the worlds most lazy managers race to the floor when they hear the words fake note so claiming the manager was busy sounds like bull. Also The fact that they gave it back to the OP when the guards where mentioned makes me think scam.

A girl I use to work with tired something like that but rather then pocket customers money right away she'd wait till just before cashing up then swap real notes for fake ones and when the managers spotted the fakes she'd claim she didn't notice they were fake. Worked for alittle while, we all got special training on how to spot fake notes but she was stupid to keep doing it as they quickly noticed only her till ever had fakes in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

from my time working in a number of shops around dublin we were told to confiscate the dud note and give the customer a receipt with you name, shop address date & time and the garda station that the dud note would be sent to. This means that if you were wrong or the customer wanted to follow up the case they could do so with the Guards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Richard wrote: »
    If you suspect that a note is fake, then legally you can't pass of back to the customer - you must confiscate it. Though in this case it seems that the shop worker was wrong in suspecting it to be fake.
    So, if what you say is true, in this case she acted illegally and gave it back while thinking it was a fake. Or she attempted robbery, in either case she could be arrested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

I remember as a young 17 year old in my second day in New York City something very similar happened to me. I went to pay for clothes in a store with a $50 bill and was accosted of trying to pass a forgery. The staff member said he was confiscating it and would be reporting it to the NYPD or FBI who ever deals with it and would not be giving me back my bill.

These bills had come fresh out of the Bank of Ireland a few days before so I was having none of it and refused to leave. Anyway my cousin was with me and brought a cop into the store to calm things down, the guy accused me of trying to pass forged currency and I counter accused him of fraud and racism, (Big Black guy) anyway the manager came down and checked the note which it turned out was real just simply an older model without the security built in.

This was not yer mans first time doing it, it turned out, (previously warned) and the Manager fired him on the spot and the NYPD took him away for questioning. I was apoligised to by the Store and the NY Cops praised my due diligence as this was being done to alot of non-english speaking tourists by him and he had somehow mistaken us and our brougues. I got my sweater free in the store also but it was a rather low ebb in what was probably the greatest event in my teenage years during that long hot summer.

OP: I would have held tough and called the guards immediatley, this was an attempt to rob you. How many old age pensioners and gullible kids may be caught out by this. The fact that it is a foreigner involved is very relevent as this scam may be perputrated by more than one. You owe it to society to see justice done. Immediate deportation and lifetime ban from Ireland is the appropriate punishment in this case.

Advertisement