Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ska reccomendations

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Pity it's in the ****in Academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

dregin wrote: »
    Pity it's in the ****in Academy.

Yeah, I know. I was in the Academy recently for the first time at the SLF show and wasn't too mad on it. It gets very packed at the bar. :(

The music center would have been better I think. :confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

see theres the academy and academy 2, saw sonic boom six there a few weeks back in academy two.... it sucked balls. mad cadies will be epic

The newly funkified music centre is pretty ****in sweet. The academy is a decent enough venue. Academy 2 is a shambles. The bouncers are ****in twats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Same bouncers upstairs and downstairs. And I've seen them be just as bad if not worse upstairs. I've always liked both venues, as much as you can like a big venue in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Eh, yeah, I meant the academy as a whole when describing the bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭busttropical

I only just heard the caddies latest album and not sure if its worth travellin to dublin from cork for now!!

I mean do they play monkeys live anymore!? :confused:

I think ill hold off for bouncing souls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mr Fonnen

Check out toots and the maytals classic ska influinced everybody on the punk/ska scene

Theyre great! MONKEY MAN

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Theyre great! MONKEY MAN

have a listen to this cover, on a split album with big d and the little kids table...

mental band, played tripod a year or so ago...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsiht-Be_Rg

• Advertisement

Well that has to be the greatest cover i heard of it :L

ORESKABAND are wickid too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mr Fonnen

The Clash do a good cover version of Pressure drop by Toots and the maytals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

Dord wrote: »
    Yup, great band. They're playing in August in the Academy with the Upgrades supporting. Should be a great show! :)

I only discovered them a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

But they are brilliant!

xIsabelx wrote: »
    I only discovered them a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

But they are brilliant!

a few from their gig tonight. twas epic

3857118113_995e91641a.jpg

3857143593_ba12ec8a2d.jpg

3857130311_ea89265fdf.jpg

3857804732_dabdee5c18.jpg

3857924722_d7bf3e5cb1.jpg

3857906152_084d7429c3.jpg

haha sweet what was the set like?? any monkeys!?

yup, and weird beard.... hugeeee set list played for ages

Great pics!

It was a truly epic gig. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Here we go!!

Less than jake, buck o nine, ORESKABAND (japanese all girl ska band i saw on the warped tour and loved!), Skatalites, some rancid stuff!

You saw Oreskaband? Jealousy!!
    I first heard them on the Warped 08 compilation CD (too poor to actually go to the tour lol) - I love their music :D it's so happy and totally random!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

Maybe something a bit more punk than ska would fit your taste. You shoulld try The Vandals, they are an amazing punk/kind of ska band that you might like.

Also, download Operations Ivy's album, it's absolutely amazing and should be in every cd collection. It's my favourite punk album and dare I say it better than Dookie. It also has some ska elements and people often call them a ska band. Don't just look up their songs in youtube or itunes either, listen to the full album, trust me you'll be impressed.

Chewabacca wrote: »
    Maybe something a bit more punk than ska would fit your taste. You shoulld try The Vandals, they are an amazing punk/kind of ska band that you might like.

Also, download Operations Ivy's album, it's absolutely amazing and should be in every cd collection. It's my favourite punk album and dare I say it better than Dookie. It also has some ska elements and people often call them a ska band. Don't just look up their songs in youtube or itunes either, listen to the full album, trust me you'll be impressed.

Vandls are "kind of ska" and Operation Ivy "have some ska elements"? Get the boat. Vandals are top cock, but I've never heard any ska in there. And Operation Ivy have more than just some elements of ska. And where the **** does Green Day come into it?

• Advertisement

Ro: maaan! wrote: »
    Vandls are "kind of ska" and Operation Ivy "have some ska elements"? Get the boat. Vandals are top cock, but I've never heard any ska in there. And Operation Ivy have more than just some elements of ska. And where the **** does Green Day come into it?

I just thought that maybe with his description of what he wanted something like The Vandals might suit him more than the kind of ska he was looking for.

I mentioned Green Day because Dookie is widely regarded as the best punk album of the era and I mentioned that I prefer Energy just to show how highly I think of the album.

What was the problem with mentioning Green Day anyway? Did I break some unwritten rule that they shant be mentioned unless they are the topic of the thread?

What was the problem with mentioning Green Day anyway? Did I break some unwritten rule that they shant be mentioned unless they are the topic of the thread?

No. Just thought it was a strange one to compare it to.

I just thought that maybe with his description of what he wanted something like The Vandals might suit him more than the kind of ska he was looking for.

I mentioned Green Day because Dookie is widely regarded as the best punk album of the era and I mentioned that I prefer Energy just to show how highly I think of the album.

i think his issue is with the clear exception of op iv, which is pretty much the forerunnner of ska punk. the vandals and green day are pop punk, and if one is a fan of ska punk like myself, i get slightly irate when people hear a poppy song with three chords and a bit of cursing, and call it ska punk... ska punk is a very defined style, whist pop punk is...well i dont know what it is

i think his issue is with the clear exception of op iv, which is pretty much the forerunnner of ska punk. the vandals and green day are pop punk, and if one is a fan of ska punk like myself, i get slightly irate when people hear a poppy song with three chords and a bit of cursing, and call it ska punk... ska punk is a very defined style, whist pop punk is...well i dont know what it is

I know I was wrong to refer to The Vandals as Ska in any way I just thought that because of the description of what he wanted he might like The Vandals. The thing is I have a hard time calling Op Ivy ska because, although they had a huge, incomparable influence on ska and punk, they don't have any of original ska's characteristics. What I call ska consists of things like the upstrokes on guitar.

And for the record I'm not trying to recommend Green Day in any way just used Dookie as a reference because I consider Dookie(their only really good album IMO) the best punk album after energy, regardless of what type of punk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNEBSsd3Gw

unity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtG0J4k3O4

take warning

not ska???

i'm not dissing green day, dookie is quite good, i also like(d) the vandals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyNEBSsd3Gw

unity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVtG0J4k3O4

take warning

not ska???

i'm not dissing green day, dookie is quite good, i also like(d) the vandals.

I know the songs, no need to send links.

They do have some ska songs like bad town and take warning but i wouldnt class unity as ska, my reason being what does it have in common with original jamaican ska? Absolutely nothing.

I'm afraid we're going to have to stop this because, as a great man once said, "the thing about arguing over the internet is, no matter who wins the argument, you're both losers".

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I wouldn't necessarily class them as ska.

I know the songs, no need to send links.

They do have some ska songs like bad town and take warning but i wouldnt class unity as ska, my reason being what does it have in common with original jamaican ska? Absolutely nothing.

I'm afraid we're going to have to stop this because, as a great man once said, "the thing about arguing over the internet is, no matter who wins the argument, you're both losers".

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I wouldn't necessarily class them as ska.

You need to do some homework on ska before you start saying that certain well known ska bands aren't ska. There are different "waves" of ska, Operation Ivy fall into the third wave. Although I think more specifically they would be defined as ska punk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Except that they are really sh*t nothing.

The Vandals are indeed a very good band and I find it insulting it is compared with the comercial cr*p that is greenday.

Operation Ivy rules aswell, seriously good!
    Oh and try Mark Foggo up tempo second wave ska!! (specailly the album Speeding My Life Away)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Except that they are really sh*t nothing.

and for children. i don't see little billy bob shotgunning himself to D because he became a mainstream joke.. frightening thing is, there will be old folks in 2060 claiming they were 'punks'. thats when the lines get blurred and it DEFEATS the means. the fact a green day thread is consistently top of this forum is such an example.

even with 'american idiot', they can't not celebrating an idyllic vision of being an american teenager. and if the support bill is as has been mooted, that will be reinforced.

most Ska-punk to me is no different. no agenda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Star Bingo wrote: »
    and for children. i don't see little billy bob shotgunning himself to D because he became a mainstream joke.. frightening thing is, there will be old folks in 2060 claiming they were 'punks'. thats when the lines get blurred and it DEFEATS the means. the fact a green day thread is consistently top of this forum is such an example.

even with 'american idiot', they can't not celebrating an idyllic vision of being an american teenager. and if the support bill is as has been mooted, that will be reinforced.

most Ska-punk to me is no different. no agenda.

+1 except for the ska punk bit.

Advertisement