Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vote Rebecca Murphy for Welfare

Options
  • 04-02-2009 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi everyone,

The UCC Students' Union elections are occurring on the 3rd/4th March, and I, Rebecca Murphy, am running for position of welfare/student support officer.

I'm here, asking you to vote for me on those days.

I have a proven track record of fighting for students' rights, and have taken part in welfare campaigns and been a member of welfare committee for 3 years now.

As both auditor and campaigns officer of UCC LGBT society, I have been at the helm of many successful campaigns and won society fresher of the year in 2006/7.

The three issues I will be examining mainly during the campaign will be finance, health promotion and mental. I've chosen this issues having done research and having spoken to various different people on campus, as well as ordinary students.

I'd love if anyone interested in the campaign would sign up to my bebo page and/or my facebook, where I'll be posting more updates very soon!

My e mail address is rebecca4welfare@gmail.com if you have any questions or comments.

Thanks!
    Rebecca

www.rebecca4welfare.bebo.com

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=63517712512

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Hi there Rebecca,

How committed are you to the task of improving welfare in the college? Would you be willing to give your mobile number to a student in need, say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Rebecca4welfare

Depends on the need. ;)

lol seriously though, as welfare officer I'd have my own work phone, so I would be contactable at a reasonable time.

So you won't give us a bell later then? :(

WELFARE CANDIDATE IN TELEPHONE NUMBER FOR VOTES SHOCKER

I'm sorry economist, ours is a forbidden love.

If you do need some help though, the current welfare officer Keith can help you out with anything:

http://www.ucc.ie/en/SIN/welfare/contacts/

He's a bit hairier than I am but he's a good guy and he knows his stuff. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

As both auditor and campaigns officer of UCC LGBT society, I have been at the helm of many successful campaigns and won society fresher of the year in 2006/7.
    There are some who say that the Fresher of the Year award is largely ceremonial, similar perhaps to the role of the monarchy in Britain or Denmark for example. How would you respond to that kind of criticism?

• Advertisement

I'm sorry economist, ours is a forbidden love.
    That's what they all say :(
    If you do need some help though, the current welfare officer Keith can help you out with anything
    .....anything?

I would say that I'm hugely disappointed with my lack of crown and sceptre, and my secret service agents are distinctly average.

Honestly though, I worked my ass off that year for that society, it was a tough situation to be in as auditor in my first year of college. I was delighted that the societies guild chose to honour me for my work, but regardless of awards, I will always be proud of my determination and hard work that year with the society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Nicely played:)

.....anything?

within reason. :P

within reason. :P

You're good fun :).

Best of luck in the elections.

• Advertisement

Thanks!

I edited my original post as the dates for voting Rebecca for welfare are the 3rd and 4th apparently, not the 4th and 5th. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

None of the people I voted for last year got elected.
    So I can give you my vote but it would be the preverbial kiss of death! :P

Out of interest who's running against you?

I haven't heard of anyone definite yet! If you tell all your friends to vote for me, and their friends, then your vote won't be the kiss of death. I'm only asking you to do this for your sake as much as mine. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I would say that I'm hugely disappointed with my lack of crown and sceptre
    Say what now?
    *looks at post, looks at username, gets worried*

As a side-note, while I can understand the rationale behind asking if a welfare officer would be prepared to hand out their mobile number to a student (I wasn't welfare, I was the equivalent of UCC's comms officer) when I was an SU person in UL last year I put my phone number on the door. I changed my number at the end of the year. I don't think it should be expected. Although UL now give officers a work mobile for the year where they can freely disseminate that number, thought UCCSU would do this, it's become more of a common practice.

I'm not in UCC (it's UL) so it's none of my business really but as someone who's seen more SU officers come and go than I've had hot dinners since at least Christmas, I've picked up particular notions on the type of commitment that a good student representative should have. Conveniently, I put them in an editorial here. You don't have to answer on -thread as I'm not posing it as a question but if you can read that and think "yeah, that's me", then best of luck in the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

vote for me, i'd do a better job cause i'm a guy.

sceptre wrote: »
    Say what now?
    *looks at post, looks at username, gets worried*

As a side-note, while I can understand the rationale behind asking if a welfare officer would be prepared to hand out their mobile number to a student (I wasn't welfare, I was the equivalent of UCC's comms officer) when I was an SU person in UL last year I put my phone number on the door. I changed my number at the end of the year. I don't think it should be expected. Although UL now give officers a work mobile for the year where they can freely disseminate that number, thought UCCSU would do this, it's become more of a common practice.

Oh sorry if that wasn't clear, officers are given a work mobile in UCC!
    I'm not in UCC (it's UL) so it's none of my business really but as someone who's seen more SU officers come and go than I've had hot dinners since at least Christmas, I've picked up particular notions on the type of commitment that a good student representative should have. Conveniently, I put them in an editorial here. You don't have to answer on -thread as I'm not posing it as a question but if you can read that and think "yeah, that's me", then best of luck in the election.

Thanks for the editorial, I know that to get involved with student politics for anything other than pure love of helping students is a ridiculous thing. I've seen others do it, it's not my style.

I've dedicated much of my college time to helping students and giving students the best shot they have in college. Now it's time to open that up from LGBT to the wider college community. I really do believe that there is a huge power in the students' union, and the welfare position in particular, to help people and change lives. I've seen it happen, and I just want to help people realise their potential in college and possibly even have some fun while they're doing that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

what's a welfare officer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    what's a welfare officer:)

They look after student's welfare :pac:

Also known as 'The Condom Guy'

They also run awareness campaigns about various health and welfare issues facing students, sexual health, mental health, finance, alcohol, drugs etc.

Their main work is dealing one to one with students' issues though, from filling out grant forms to referring students to the counselling service or helping them find a new house because they've been kicked out, deciding how the student assistant funds etc are allocated.

It's a pretty massive job, but I know I'd love it and that I'd be very very good at it. :)

They also run awareness campaigns about various health and welfare issues facing students, sexual health, mental health, finance, alcohol, drugs etc.

Their main work is dealing one to one with students' issues though, from filling out grant forms to referring students to the counselling service or helping them find a new house because they've been kicked out, deciding how the student assistant funds etc are allocated.

It's a pretty massive job, but I know I'd love it and that I'd be very very good at it. :)

Yeah ya have my vote :)

Even if you are trolling for votes! :P

• Advertisement

I'll go back under my bridge now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Screw it you have my vote.Fair play for going to all the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Just for the sheer audacityof coming on here with the possibilty of getting ripped apart, you've my vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

re open nominations for me i'm afraid.

no candidate has yet offered free brownies.

Just letting you know (because I can't seem to edit my original post now)that they have changed the dates of the elections to the 10th and 11th March.

I'm collecting nominations this week so if you see me around come and talk to me! :)

I have to say - between Boards, Bebo, Facebook and FUCC, you're making a huge effort to get this position. You seem to be genuinely dedicated.

Unless an opposing candidate bribes me with cookies, you have my vote. :)

Unless an opposing candidate bribes me with cookies, you have my vote. :)

+ 1

Hehe us college students are easily bought arent we!!! :)

+ 1

Hehe us college students are easily bought arent we!!! :)

I'm easily bought in election situations anyway, regardless of my student status.
    I'd probably vote for a Neo-Nazi if it meant I got cookies.
    Mmmm....cookies.

cookie-monster.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 SPORTINGGAMEZ

Havent read the full thread, but can someone tell me when the elections are on? What week?
    Tanx :)

• Advertisement

They're on the 10th and 11th March, so the week after next. :)

Advertisement