Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish subtitles in movies

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

With a name like that I dont think he's allowed speak of anything important.
    Who could really take him seriously???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

hehehehehe..Gay. >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Only if they include Klingon and L33T as well ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Lol there's a thread in Films about this. I love the difference in opinion between the two forums, which each considers the more important aspect :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

A' well, its F.G. - 'nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

/888

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Twould be interesting to do so... How many people speak Gaelic? Another waste of money, people are being made redundant everyday and this eejit is thinking of something like this.. htf are such people elected into Goverment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Twould be interesting to do so... How many people speak Gaelic? Another waste of money, people are being made redundant everyday and this eejit is thinking of something like this.. htf are such people elected into Goverment :(

Gay Mitchell is FG. He hasn't been elected to government for quite some time. :)

javaboy wrote: »
    Gay Mitchell is FG. He hasn't been elected to government for quite some time. :)

Thank you, but still htf does he come up with such suggestions? Like i believe he's being paid for being a member of FG...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Wouldn't this actually create jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

How many Gaelic speakers don't understand English?:rolleyes:

julep wrote: »
    I suppose so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭burgess1

We definitely need to revive our language and give people an opportunity to speak it more often but cluttering the screen with subtitles that most people won't use is a terrible idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

dresden8 wrote: »
    Good to see that Fine Gael are keeping their eye on the important issues of the day.

Here's a better one - a few years back another FG politician called Brian Hayes proposed a new public holiday in honour of all the foreigners coming here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Nolanger wrote: »
    Here's a better one - a few years back another FG politician called Brian Hayes proposed a new public holiday in honour of all the foreigners coming here.
    :eek: Holy crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

What a load of crap, who wants to see a summer blockbuster movie with Irish fecking subtitles on the screen, maybe if they improved how Irish is taught in schools and leave our movies alone it might have a better effect? oh wait, thats common sense which is somethng all Irish policiticians lack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Thank you, but still htf does he come up with such suggestions? Like i believe he's being paid for being a member of FG...
    His solution to the economic crisis was to borrow the money from China.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭sneakerfreak

galwayrush wrote: »
    How many Gaelic speakers don't understand English?:rolleyes:

the last non english speaker died in 2000/2001 I think it was

they lived on Tory Island,9 miles off the coast of Tír Chonaill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ack I think it would be gas. We could all have competitions for the first person to spot and shout out the work "feic". Imagine that. A world where Irish cinema goers shouting "feic" at the screen. I'm tearing up with pride already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

julep wrote: »

Well I'm sure we could find something useful for them to do....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

What is the percentage of Irish people who actually speak Irish on a daily basis? I think I remember reading it was approximately 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

the last non english speaker died in 2000/2001 I think it was

they lived on Tory Island,9 miles off the coast of Tír Chonaill.

They speak/spoke Irish on Tory Island, really wanna see it some day (I dream big!)

Isn't China in a recession?

Meh anyone who borrows from China would be indebted for LIFE!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Stupid idea. Nothing against the language, but when you go to watch a movie you don't want subtitles taking up part of the picture, especially subtitles that > 90% of the audience don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

i'm all for it! And I'm glad there is a politician out there who dares to talk of something that doesn't involve the recession

Isn't China in a recession?

Meh anyone who borrows from China would be indebted for LIFE!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Crazy suggestion, can't see the local pub taking yuan's when I want a pint... probably be alright for a late night green curry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

jester77 wrote: »
    Stupid idea. Nothing against the language, but when you go to watch a movie you don't want subtitles taking up part of the picture, especially subtitles that > 90% of the audience don't understand.

+1 Ridiculous suggestion. It would cause even more resentment against Irish - bad enough people being force fed it in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 reyortsed

Although I cannot see the content of original link that was posted, I am assuming it was about a politician who suggesting subtitling films with Irish?

As a learner of multiple foreign languages, I have to say that this is/was an excellent suggestion.

When I was learning swedish (when I lived there), this was my primary method of learning before I my speaking and reading/writing got more advanced. Now I live in Norway and speak that fluently too... again, texting was really important.

This is simply because you associate the english with the translation without realising it (it's kind of there all the time) - and if the film is quite a popular one, you will remember specific scenes and specific sentances (even pick up some cool slang). For example, I would love to know how to say "****wit" in Irish (or at least learn the translator's word for it)...

By doing this I was fluent in swedish within a year, and got to the point where I could study at university in sweden completely in swedish within 2.5 years.

Considering the revivalist efforts that are going on with the Irish language, I would definately (based on my own experience), give this suggestion some serious thought.

Btw. The reason I comment here on "boards.ie", is because my new project is to learn Irish. I am currently in the Buntus Cainte phase (quite early).

I asked TG4 if they have any plans to text english films/programs as part of their offerings... havent heard back yet. While googling "irish subtitles", this was quite a prominent hit.

Health at you!

Regards

//Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 reyortsed

Oh and for those who think it would be an issue when going to the cinema, I am sure the cinema could make it a limited showing on the schedule (just like 2D or 3D, you can choose)...

Advertisement