Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice: Obtaining Death Cert

Options
  • 31-01-2009 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

Can anyone go and purchase a copy of a death cert for someone who died in approx 1959/1960 ?..... (person possibly died in Dundalk, Louth) - can they get it in Dublin ? or can they only get it in the County of Death?... This is for family research purposes... Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Apply here if you know the death date. http://www.groireland.ie/apply_for_a_cert.htm
    Or you can search for it in person. GRO records available to search go up to 1995. You would have to go through books for each year and would have to go on their name and place or death and age at death. €2 to search 5 consecutive years of death. http://www.groireland.ie/research.htm
    I'm not sure what the best option for you is if you aren't sure of the death date. Maybe give the GRO a ring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Thanks sweet-rasmus ... that's very helpful.. its for a woman who is coming over from the UK for a day trip to find her husband's foster father's death cert - she doesn't reckon it was a legal foster scenario as she has not been able to get far with her research to date..her husbands name is very unusual which I would have thought would have helped.....(this is a post that I put up for her on the Louth Board http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055476322).

Thanks again.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I wouldn't say that the name McCann is too unusual. I myself am looking for a McCarr and the amount of McCanns I come across is quite a lot! If you do search those two years for the death, you may have a few hits indeed, but hopefully not too many. Having a first name, possibly middle name and approximate age at death should narrow down your results. Hopefully you'll get a match :)

Edit: Just read your post in the Louth forum. If it is January 1960, then if your are in Dublin, your best bet would be to go to the GRO on the third floor of the Irish Life Centre on Abby street (a short walk from the luas stop on abby st towards connolly and the building is on your left after one set of traffic lights) and pay the €2 to view the book of deaths for that year. The staff are very helpful and will help you out. It's open 9.30 to 4.30 weekdays. Once you get the 1960 book, just check the quarter ending in March (each year is divided in 4) and hopefully you won't have many records to see (it is ordered by surname for each quarter). You are given the surname, first name, age at death and district of death (e.g. Dublin North). You will also get a volume number and page number to which the entry corresponds. With these two you can pay for a photocopy (€4) of the record and it will reveal the date of death, name, surname, age at death, residence at death, informer of death and cause of death.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Sweet-rasmus (absolutely fantastic name btw!).. Thank you, thank you - you are extremely helpful - much appreciated, I will keep this info aside for myself when I eventually get to do more searching and also pass onto my friend who is coming over from the UK in February to do her search.

Re: the unusual name - her husbands name was 'Lynn Dello' which I thought would be an unusual name and easy to find (my post was a bit misleading - in so far as she is trying to look for her husbands (lynn dello) foster father who is a McCann - in order to try to get a lead on where her husband came from.

Thanks again.

Advertisement