Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you listen to music?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Dutch_Druid

Sometimes I have to listen to it involunteeringly?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Are you serious, or just trying to provoke a reaction?

I don't understand what the point of it is. Do people get high listening to it? Does it take you to another place? Watching a film with a great soundtrack I can understand, but music on its own? Is that what it does?

Music just is not a part of my life in any significant way, so I'd like to know what people actually get out of the experience. /dons helmet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Elessar wrote: »
    I don't understand what the point of it is. Do people get high listening to it? Does it take you to another place? Watching a film with a great soundtrack I can understand, but music on its own? Is that what it does?

Music just is not a part of my life in any significant way, so I'd like to know what people actually get out of the experience. /dons helmet

So, are you trying to say that you feel absolutely nothing when listening to music? Nothing at all? It doesn't stir any feelings, any emotions in you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Music touches the senses in the brain pretty much in the same way you might like to hear a songbird chirping .If you dont like the sound of birds chirping ,nor like listening to music than you might lack soul because that's were it's supposed to touch your soul, in a positive meaningful way .Also depends on the type of music you like ie ,classical /rock/pop /folk/soul etc or a combination of all, depending on what mood your in to ,on a particular day .

Sabotage wrote: »
    Thats a bit harsh. I'm not saying its not true ... just that its harsh.

Go to youtube and put in Julia Nunes - listen to the covers she does but also her own stuff like "binoculars".

I only listen to 5-10 songs a day.

That happy ladygirl makes me smile......thanks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

So, are you trying to say that you feel absolutely nothing when listening to music? Nothing at all? It doesn't stir any feelings, any emotions in you?

Here's a song guaranteed to stir a few feelings:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To be fair though, that does happen a lot. Just take Metallica for example, the latter stuff they've released has been pure garbage.
    Yeah, to stop listening to a band just because they've become successful is knobbish, but an increase in commercial success can appear to have a detrimental effect on a band's output - e.g. Kings of Leon (they've forsaken their gritty, blues-infused sound with a Stereophonics/U2 type one now - coincidence? Hardly) and the aforementioned Metallica.
    Arcade Fire are great still though - I think Neon Bible is better than Funeral. I also like Kaiser Chiefs who people would totally give credit if they weren't successful - ditto The Killers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

i would die if i couldn't listen to music, i really would

me too, worst thing ever, on a long bus journey or any of that kind and bang... batteries in ipod/mp3 player cut out....

i bring my ipod everywhere, love making playlists.

Music makes me so happy, does anyone else feel that their mood would suffer slightly for not having listened to some music after a couple of days? for whatever reason??

Music makes me so happy, does anyone else feel that their mood would suffer slightly for not having listened to some music after a couple of days? for whatever reason??
    Absolutly ,listeing to my favorites every couple of days can change my moods for the better . Listening to music is a healthy activity and depressed people are encourged to do so .Just dont listen to depressing music which by defination could be anything .

One mans heaven ( music) is another ones hell :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Rarely. Now on the other hand, watching the climax of a good movie with the orchestral score crescendo gets the emotions flowing alright. But I cannot be, and have never been, emotionally stirred by some bloke mouthing lyrics down a microphone with a guitar and drum procession. It's just not the same.

• Advertisement

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, to stop listening to a band just because they've become successful is knobbish, but an increase in commercial success can appear to have a detrimental effect on a band's output - e.g. Kings of Leon (they've forsaken their gritty, blues-infused sound with a Stereophonics/U2 type one now - coincidence? Hardly) and the aforementioned Metallica.
    Arcade Fire are great still though - I think Neon Bible is better than Funeral. I also like Kaiser Chiefs who people would totally give credit if they weren't successful - ditto The Killers.

I don't think anybody really stops listening to a band if they become successful, that's more a caricature than anything. But bands do change for the worse quite often, and sometimes it can coincide with popularity. But at the same time, a lot of bands can become hugely popular, and still be terrific. Opeth for example, have become far, far more successful than when I first got into them, and they're still one of the best bands going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

To be fair though, that does happen a lot. Just take Metallica for example, the latter stuff they've released has been pure garbage.

Not a Metallica fan so can't really comment on that. (Although going by reviwes I thought their most reason album was supposed to be a return to form, no?)

I have no doubt that there are some bands out there who "sell out" and I totally understand it when fans are disappointed by some releases. I just find it excruciating when some people have this constant need to remind everyone that they liked a certain band before they were famous, and have contempt for any band who achieve commercial success. It just comes across as desparate, pretentious and petty.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Dudess wrote: »

i can never get that whole i really dislike a band now because they've become successful.

hell i can't even dislike a band, i dislike albums. people take this up the wrong way, i'm labelled weird cause i think puzzle by biffy clyro is ****e, i love their previous albums, same goes for Weezer great band in my books, but have some terrible terrible albums they are still a good band though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

This one is for everyone else:

Everyone but Dudess listen to it.
    Is it odd that I knew exactly what that was without hitting play?

Anyway, yes I listen to lots. Two days ago it was classical, yesterday it was post rock, today Jazz Fusion.

I always find it amusing though when asking someone what music they like they say 'Oh I listen to all types' but when you probe, 'all types' consists solely of pop, R&B and Hip Hop.

Eirc Clapton Left the yardbirds because they went down the commercial road and lot's of aging hippies like to say they were big fans of the Eagles until they went all commercial but they still fill the pop/rock arenas .

The '' I liked them befoe they were commercial '' is so old hat .

Many other artist's and groups,such as Dylan sold their soul ( musiclly speaking ) to make a million or two .

Blowfish wrote: »
    I always find it amusing though when asking someone what music they like they say 'Oh I listen to all types' but when you probe, 'all types' consists solely of pop, R&B and Hip Hop.

Yeah, that gets me too...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

latchyco wrote: »
    Eirc Clapton Left the yardbirds because they went down the commercial road and lot's of aging hippies like to say they were big fans of the Eagles until they went all commercial but they still fill the pop/rock arenas .

The '' I liked them befoe they were commercial '' is so old hat .

Many other artist's and groups,such as Dylan sold their soul ( musiclly speaking ) to make a million or two .

Dylan sold his soul?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I can't not listen to music. Yes I realise that's a double negative! :rolleyes:
    I'm even listening to music now, currently the band Television. :)

Seanies32 wrote: »
    Dylan sold his soul?

Musical terminology

Dylan when he started out was according to many of his fans ' the messiah of the folk world , the one with all the answers ' ,although he would say himself he hated that tag .In the 80s and 90s ,He was touring as much as any of the other big artists from the 60s .He just went with the flow of the times and sold his albums commercialy, like all the rest .

Musical terminology

Dylan when he started out was according to many of his fans ' the messiah of the folk world , the one with all the answers ' ,although he would say himself he hated that tag .In the 80s and 90s ,He was touring as much as any of the other big artists from the 60s .He just went with the flow of the times and sold his albums commercialy, like all the rest .

True, getting old does that to you! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

True, getting old does that to you! ;)
    Yeah , like everybody else he does need a pension ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

Yes I do. I listen to music in the car, on my MP3 player in work/whilst out and about and I have loads of music saved on the computer at home. Whatever I'm doing, I will be listening to music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Music touches the senses in the brain pretty much in the same way you might like to hear a songbird chirping .If you dont like the sound of birds chirping ,nor like listening to music than you might lack soul because that's were it's supposed to touch your soul, in a positive meaningful way.
    Songbird chirping when I'm up and about = nice.
    Songbird chirping at 5 or 6 in the morning when I'm trying to sleep = not nice and not in the least bit heart warming.
    Dylan sold his soul?
    And also lingerie! :pac:

Blowfish wrote: »

I'm guilty of that myself, at times. Except replace "pop, R&B and Hip Hop" with "rock, indie and alternative"
    I've remidied it a bit by saying "most types" instead of "all types". There are a few pop/R&B/country/folk/dance songs I like but I wouldn't be any way knowledgeable of those genres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Only listen to it on the train and bus on the way to training and work. Only because I can't enjoy reading without silence and a lack of movement.

I was never into it really. I think I've been to three concerts in my entire life and that was years ago. I don't seek out new songs or bands and haven't a clue if someone's talking about such n suchs new album.

I'm not sure why I'm like that I'd just rather be active, out doing something or if not then reading or computer, anything else really. *shrugs* :confused:

Songbird chirping at 5 or 6 in the morning when I'm trying to sleep = not nice and not in the least bit heart warming.
    Natures own alarm clock .:)

Time to insulate the bedroom walls so ;)

Gal in the dylan video is hot

Surfing ther web , boards etc while listing to music is one of my fav pastimes :)

Well I'd sell my soul to the Devil for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

m3llowship wrote: »
    What do you listen to?

Favorite would be the likes of muse, beatles, prodigy, oasis, placebo, air, daft punk, sigur ros, justice, cloud cult, ben gibberd solo, death cab, postal service, dylan, bb king, mgmt,gorillaz, dave clarke, morillo, dmx, alice in chains, nirvana, radiohead, the knife, some classical guitar, anything bluesy etc etc etc. . . . .

Pretty much anything that sounds good to my ears, far too much too list.

I keep going between the 60's and more modern music every few months, at the moment im in the 60's (dammit bob ya god damn legend).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Can't imagine not having music as part of my life, I have it on everywhere I go. Neil Young is singing at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

People that are obsessive about music bore me a bit.

Film > Music for me.

Advertisement