Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swim to tri....

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭papamike

MCOS wrote: »
    Best of luck in your Tri tomorrow!

Cheers MCOS, Registered earlier and just getting all the gear ready now. Half afraid I'll forget something:D

Well I completed my first triathlon on Saturday:D:D so better put a bit of a summary onto this log.

As mentioned here a few times I was quite concerned over the swim. My PB for 750m before the tri was 24:58 which I set a couple of weeks ago. Well I blew that out of the water with a sub 21 minute swim which I was very impressed with. Still a long way to go before I am competitive on the swim but at least now I have a decent benchmark to improve on.

As a result of that swim I was obviously a good bit behind the rest of my wave so ended up cycling pretty much on my own although I did pass a few of the quicker swimmers in transition and kept ahead of them on the bike which was good. Only manage to catch one cyclist about 3km from the finish.

Felt surprisingly good on the run after the expected wobbly 1st km and I think I passed about 7 or 8 on the run which was great. Managed 5min/km pace for the first 4km before slowing slightly on the last km as fatigue set in.

Major plus was not being passed on the bike or the run although I was probably about 5 minutes behind most of my wave after the swim so that mightn't be a great plus but I was happy with that. I was quick enough through T2 and legs were not as wobbly as I expected.

Main negative was the poor swim time obviously but I will work on that. I was quite slow through T1 getting the gear on but that is something easily rectified. I faded a bit through the middle section of the bike where it was a little hilly and into the wind so need more bike time.

So I did it, first Tri done and a PB:D Next Tri is TriAthy - open water swim so another challenge. Might enter a few more Sprints later in the summer for the craic.

I think that's more or less it for this log. Concentrating on the running for the remainder of the summer with my first half marathon in September. Might challenge myself to some ambitious PBs on the running front - sub 20min 5km sounds great (current PB 21:09) But I will still try for 2 swim sessions a week to keep that up.

I hope this log was of interest to some of the newbies out there as it was very beneficial for me to document the training over the last few months, especially on the swimming front.Thanks to anyone who offered advice either here or on the beginner thread on the main page, much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cozie00

Hey i was just wondering where you did your lab testing for threshold and Vo2? I cant seem to find anywhere worthwhile. I know that the sports clinic in santry do cardiovascular testing but not sure to what extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

papamike , i know it was a couple of weeks ago but well done on your first tri.

cozie00 wrote: »
    Hey i was just wondering where you did your lab testing for threshold and Vo2? I cant seem to find anywhere worthwhile. I know that the sports clinic in santry do cardiovascular testing but not sure to what extent.

Hi Cozie00, I had mine done in the Leinster Sports Clinic in Portlaoise as I am midlands based. Found them very informative and took plenty of time explaining the results.

They conduct the VO2 test on a bike though which you need to take into account as your relevant heart rates for LT etc will be that bit lower (~10-15bpm) on the bike conpared to running. Something to do with gravity and the level of cardiac output due to the angle of your body on the bike compared to being fully upright when running. I think that's the rough non-scientific explanation.

The performance Labs in Trinity and DCU also do it as far as I know.

• Advertisement

Seres wrote: »
    papamike , i know it was a couple of weeks ago but well done on your first tri.

Thanks Seres, Glad to have the first one out of the way. TriAthy next but running for the rest of the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cozie00

papamike wrote: »
    Hi Cozie00, I had mine done in the Leinster Sports Clinic in Portlaoise as I am midlands based. Found them very informative and took plenty of time explaining the results.

They conduct the VO2 test on a bike though which you need to take into account as your relevant heart rates for LT etc will be that bit lower (~10-15bpm) on the bike conpared to running. Something to do with gravity and the level of cardiac output due to the angle of your body on the bike compared to being fully upright when running. I think that's the rough non-scientific explanation.

The performance Labs in Trinity and DCU also do it as far as I know.

Thanks papamike, really appreciate it. Good luck in TriAthy, ill see you there.
    Ill start cheering "papamike"

Advertisement