Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Animation. How to get in?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 R0B0T_R0CK

i love you. :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

R0B0T_R0CK wrote: »
    i love you. :o

I love you too man.

Good luck with the portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭zeroonetwothree

Omg I got an email from iadt saying my portfolio assesment day is Wednesday the 24th, is there any way of getting them to change it to another day?

Got mine too *gulp
    nowhere NEAR finished
    and mines on tuesday the 23rd :(

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Omg I got an email from iadt saying my portfolio assesment day is Wednesday the 24th, is there any way of getting them to change it to another day?

If you have something major on (wedding, exam etc.) they can try and accommodate you sometime that week. Call Eoin in Admissions.

• Advertisement

Ok seeeeriously freaking out!
    I have to have my portfolio in on tues and have loads of qs!!

Im really worried about my storyboards! how many frames SHOULD they be?....... (i hope mine are alright :S)

em..... Do I NEED to have EVERYthing mounted on black card? or in plastic pockets? or both? <:o

and......... oh yeah, do i NEED to have stuff written on the back or explain some stuff? cause i hAte doing that :(

im really nervous :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 smellslikelemon

There's no right number of panels to have for your storyboards, just as many as it needs to make the story work.

Doesn't matter if you use mounting card or plastic pockets but they always say that lighter portfolios are better so I think the pockets are a better plan.

It helps to have some explanation on things that need explaining, you don't want them not understanding your ideas.
    Hope this helps!

I brought my portfolio in today, think it went alright. Got this orange bookmark thing back with it, anyone know what they're about? Are they just new this year or do they only give them to certain portfolios?

Ah go raibh maith ;)

Im hopin 6 is ok cause i couldnt be arsed doin more..
    At this stage i dont want to get in, i never want to see a pencil again lol

Hope it went well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

There's no right number of panels to have for your storyboards, just as many as it needs to make the story work.

Doesn't matter if you use mounting card or plastic pockets but they always say that lighter portfolios are better so I think the pockets are a better plan.

It helps to have some explanation on things that need explaining, you don't want them not understanding your ideas.
    Hope this helps!

I brought my portfolio in today, think it went alright. Got this orange bookmark thing back with it, anyone know what they're about? Are they just new this year or do they only give them to certain portfolios?

The orange bookmark is just saying thanks for submitting to IADT. Every portfolio should have one when they go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

atgate wrote: »
    The orange bookmark is just saying thanks for submitting to IADT. Every portfolio should have one when they go back.

Haha, my friend didn't get one and she's convinced its because they hate her portfolio!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭melissavm

Good luck everyone! I had my interview yesterday and i was told the amount of applications had risen by 30% so i think we'll all need it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Ive got a interview in june im applying for my 3rd year there , i got offered a place in bcfe ada1 im not sure which to go for i get offered a place in both :confused: any opinion on which college would be the best learning experience ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 HotSwat

Hey guys.

Im applying for IADT, interview probably late March.
    So far I have:

3 full a1 finished observational pieces
    1 a2 finished observational piece
    1 halfway completed a2 page of life drawings.
    1 notebook filled a third of the way up with concepts
    Also doing quick observational drawings in an a5 sketchbook.

Am I on track so far? Or doing anything horribly wrong?

Best thing you can do is loads of life drawing. Never think you have enough life drawing EVER.
    Don't be afraid to play around with things either, I was too worried about having pristine stuff going in but if you had like a page filled with ink work (for example) that went horribly wrong it'd still be a good indication of your willingness to try things out.

Concept stuff is important, as is any artwork that you're particularly interested in...

That's about all the help I can give! (I basically thought, what could I have done better....)

Best thing you can do is loads of life drawing. Never think you have enough life drawing EVER.
    Don't be afraid to play around with things either, I was too worried about having pristine stuff going in but if you had like a page filled with ink work (for example) that went horribly wrong it'd still be a good indication of your willingness to try things out.

Concept stuff is important, as is any artwork that you're particularly interested in...

That's about all the help I can give! (I basically thought, what could I have done better....)
    Well I have about 20 life drawings done with charcoal taped to a bamboo stick (life drawing class, dont ask me why)
    they look a bit interesting I guess. you think I should just throw em all in?
    also, do you think it would matter if i had observational drawings and concepts in one notebook?

Throw one or two in, plenty of variety is key. We did the charcoal and bamboo thing in our life drawing module so they'll be happy to see you playing around with methods like that!
    If you can tie it all in then by all means go for it.
    Like if you've got a concept thing for a Cat character, then throw in some observational drawings of cats.

Don't be afraid to scribble notes in to explain things!

thats awesome man! I've been doing concept drawings of a certain object for a while now, and have done loads of observational stuff on it in a few different styles ranging from pencil to pointilism.
    i'll be doing a storyboard on this object too, so I'm glad to hear its a good choice :)

thanks for your input!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Hey HotSwat. I saw your post in the Ballyfermot forum and since you seem to be following this thread more, I thought I'd throw in my answer here too.
    I did the animation course in Ballyfermot, jesus, almost a decade ago. Chose it over IADT for no other reason as I knew people in Ballyer. I now work in the industry. If I were to give you a few tips for your portfolio, I'd say this- life drawings. Life drawings. Life drawings. Trust me, they love that stuff, and it's one of the most important classes you'll take in animation.

I know it's pretty late in the day to suggest you get yourself into a life-drawing course. If you can, brilliant. If not, all is not lost.

Get yourself a few drawing books. Head out to somewhere with a lot of people. Where we frequented was shopping centers. Find yourself a seat and just start drawing the people you see. Don't concentrate on making nice pictures. Instead, just concentrate on getting the essence of their poses and gestures. Quick 30 second sketches, and plenty of them. What this does is give you an idea of how the human body actually moves and that'll benefit you no end.

Sorry about the long post, but hey, it'll certainly help! Trust me, they love the kind of work I listed above. If you've any other questions, drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help. Otherwise, best of luck with the interview!

Advertisement