Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭conorcan2

MrMiyagi wrote: »
    Hello,

Does having a Celt/Celta qualification effect your earnings in Korea?

Thank you

No, in the vast majority of cases.

Firstly, the 'A' in CELTA stands for 'adults' and the majority of teaching opportunities in Korea are for children or teenagers.

Secondly, the CELTA is relatively unheard of in Korea. Employers won't know what it means.

But you might find a university that recognises it's merit. However, university jobs are difficult to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 seamie89

You will find out on the last day of orientation

oooh i wasnt sure, thought we'd know what school wer going to before we arrive! thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

seamie89 wrote: »
    oooh i wasnt sure, thought we'd know what school wer going to before we arrive! thanks
    No worries, technically that is the way that it's supposed to be, however, we had a facebook group set up for those going t Daegu and someone that arrived on the intake before us managed to get her hands on the list of where everyone was supposed to be going, long story short we all knew where we were headed, but that was the first and only time that happened! But don't tell anyone that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

PS for any new EPIKers arriving in February, 2 Facebook groups have been set up, not sure why there are 2, but here they are:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/EPIKSpring2012/?ref=ts

http://www.facebook.com/groups/179555222125945/?ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Okay another question for all you wonderful helpful people!

So I've been offered a job in Bundang. It's 2.2 mil. Kindy- Mon-Fri.

So what's wrong:

The school just opened, this will be its first year
    It is a wonderland

Would I be absolutely bananas to take it?

If it's like every other wonderland I've heard about, then yes. Not only because it's just opened, but because it's a wonderland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

So what's wrong:

It is a wonderland

I've heard some horrible things about wonderland. But I do know a girl working in a wonderland near me and she loves it she didn't have one bad thing to say about it.

Before you take anything be careful and consider everything.

RE refusing jobs. I was working with my recruiter and others for 5 months before I accepted a job and I was so glad I did my research and refused so many jobs as it got me an amazing school that I love to pieces. Always try and get someone else to read over the contracts that are sent to you. It's paramount that you read everything and question anything that does not seem clear to you as these are the little things that could catch you out!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

Quick question for all those who have now left Korean shores:
    Are we Irish entitled to tax back on purchases made in Korea such as clothing, electronics, travel tickets etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 king_crisps

Bit off topic but does anyone know of any weekly football gatherings around Incheon? Just 5/7 a side astro turf/indoor, something like that.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

So what's wrong:

It is a wonderland

I work for a Wonderland mate. So do a good few of my mates over here. Don't listen to the hysterical nonsense online. Its tough going. The hours are long, but the Wonderlands I'm aware of have been very fair and helpful in dealing with teachers. I wouldn't do a second year, but thats down to the hours. The experience overall has been great so far. I was worried bout it being a Wonderland too, but I said feck it. I was so mad to get out of Ireland that I took it. Its like all other chains. There's good and bad ones, but you only ever hear about the bad. Its up to yourself, I went with my gut, after speaking to the director. He seemed like a decent guy. But just don't put too much stock in the things you read online. There's some amount of nonsense out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

Hey guys. I'm trying to organise my packing at the moment and I'm just wondering what the dress code for public schools is?Is it the same as here or is it more conservative?And I read something today about "inside shoes"/sandal-type things? Are these a necessity or I could I get away with the normal work shoes I've already bought?

• Advertisement

Quick question for all those who have now left Korean shores:
    Are we Irish entitled to tax back on purchases made in Korea such as clothing, electronics, travel tickets etc?

If you've been residing in Korea with a work visa then you should pay your taxes. AFAIK you have to only be on a short term holiday to get your tax back and have to show a departure ticket or some sort of evidence that you are leaving.

If you are able to purchase the item and get a tax return, then you are obliged to declare it in Ireland and pay tax on it to the Irish government.
    Hey guys. I'm trying to organise my packing at the moment and I'm just wondering what the dress code for public schools is?Is it the same as here or is it more conservative?And I read something today about "inside shoes"/sandal-type things? Are these a necessity or I could I get away with the normal work shoes I've already bought?

What is worn in Ireland is fine to wear in Korea. Don't wear any tops that show off your cleavage. (I'm assuming you're female). If not, don't wear any shorts that show off your penis :)

Some places require special inside shows, some don't. These are like slippers or flip flops and only cost about €5, don't worry about them.

I work for a Wonderland mate. So do a good few of my mates over here. Don't listen to the hysterical nonsense online. Its tough going. The hours are long, but the Wonderlands I'm aware of have been very fair and helpful in dealing with teachers. I wouldn't do a second year, but thats down to the hours. The experience overall has been great so far. I was worried bout it being a Wonderland too, but I said feck it. I was so mad to get out of Ireland that I took it. Its like all other chains. There's good and bad ones, but you only ever hear about the bad. Its up to yourself, I went with my gut, after speaking to the director. He seemed like a decent guy. But just don't put too much stock in the things you read online. There's some amount of nonsense out there.

It's good to see some people speaking positively about the place (or less negatively). That's the problem with the internet, or people in general, they mostly only complain about places and those that enjoy their workplace don't come on and speak positively about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JFitzgerald

If you have a pair of shoes, sandals or slippers handy there at home that you could wear indoors, i'd bring them if i were you. otherwise you will have to go on the hunt here in korea to find something that you had sitting around at home - a scenario which to me is an arseache. I have a pair of slip-on pumps from New Look in Ireland that i had never worn and I now use them as my indoor shoes at school. ALL the teachers at my schools have indoor shoes. If you are a shoe size 6 or more, then bring all the shoes you need. women's shoes for anyone size 6 or over are like hens teeth here. the only place you'll get shoes for bigger feet here is Itaewon in Seoul and even there you might struggle to find a nice pair of shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

seamie89 wrote: »
    hey,

anyone know how long until you find out where exactly you are being placed when going through the EPIK programme? as in town/ city?

I know i have a job in Gyeongbuk and orientation begins in 3 weeks, do i find out when iu arrive where in Gyeongbuk i am going?

cheers in advance :)

I found out I was going to Gangwon-do (province) a few weeks before going out to Korea, but didn't find out where exactly until the last day of orientation, which was the day we were getting the bus to Gangwon-do.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Just finished an 140 hour online TEFL course with i-to-i (I know I know, worth next to nothing but its what I got). Whats the climate like in the job market these days? Teaching jobs still plentyfull? Is it a bad time to be looking if I'm looking maybe for middle of summer/start of of Autumn? I'm thinking of going to Busan.

Andy!! wrote: »
    Just finished an 140 hour online TEFL course with i-to-i (I know I know, worth next to nothing but its what I got). Whats the climate like in the job market these days? Teaching jobs still plentyfull? Is it a bad time to be looking if I'm looking maybe for middle of summer/start of of Autumn? I'm thinking of going to Busan.

Wait until May or so, recruiters won't be bothered with you as you won't be coming in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 PrincessPeach

cloneslad wrote: »
    What is worn in Ireland is fine to wear in Korea. Don't wear any tops that show off your cleavage. (I'm assuming you're female). If not, don't wear any shorts that show off your penis :)

Some places require special inside shows, some don't. These are like slippers or flip flops and only cost about €5, don't worry about them.
    If you have a pair of shoes, sandals or slippers handy there at home that you could wear indoors, i'd bring them if i were you. otherwise you will have to go on the hunt here in korea to find something that you had sitting around at home - a scenario which to me is an arseache. I have a pair of slip-on pumps from New Look in Ireland that i had never worn and I now use them as my indoor shoes at school. ALL the teachers at my schools have indoor shoes. If you are a shoe size 6 or more, then bring all the shoes you need. women's shoes for anyone size 6 or over are like hens teeth here. the only place you'll get shoes for bigger feet here is Itaewon in Seoul and even there you might struggle to find a nice pair of shoes.

Thanks a mill guys!!I'm a size 6 so thanks for the advice. I have a few pairs of pumps I've never worn, hopefully they'll do for the inside shoe thing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

I have a friend and shes size 7 and buys some shoes.in forever 21....

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Hi folks,
    I just got a job offer for a school in Sanbon-dong, Gunpo in Gyeonggi province. The school looks great and the contract is good. This will be my first time in South Korea and my first TEFL job. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the area? I get the impression that it's fairly quiet.
    Any first-hand info would be great. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Hi folks,
    I just got a job offer for a school in Sanbon-dong, Gunpo in Gyeonggi province. The school looks great and the contract is good. This will be my first time in South Korea and my first TEFL job. Just wondering if anyone is familiar with the area? I get the impression that it's fairly quiet.
    Any first-hand info would be great. Cheers!

Even if the area is quiet, there are places nearby like Anyang, Suwon or hop into Seoul itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭inverted_world

Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread a bit over the last while, and you seem to give good advice, so I hope you might be able to give me a little insight on my current dilemma. Apologies for the length of this post, and thank you in advance for your help!

A bit about me: I'm a 26 year old female from Dublin. I have a degree in English and Irish and an M.A. in English (American Literature). I recently finished one of those infamous online TEFL courses.

I've been jobless a while now and I feel like I'm at a bit of a dead end here in Ireland. I had been toying with the idea of moving to Korea for a long time, and I finally made the decision to actually do so a few months ago. I got my documents together (I just have to go to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs to get my degree and Garda cert apostilled). I was just about to contact recruiters and begin the job hunt.

Today, completely out of the blue, I got a phone call from a place in Dublin I had interviewed for in July (!). I had been turned down for the job initially, but was told that the position had opened up again, and they would like to offer it to me. Typical! :rolleyes:

My head's a bit of a mess at the moment. This job is only an entry level admin. position, and the pay isn't great. But it'd be a good company to work for, and everyone seems lovely.

I've wanted to teach for most of my life, so my gut is telling me to go to Korea anyway. I've never lived outside Ireland, and it'd be a great experience. I also feel that I would gain more out of teaching than from sitting at a desk all day. If I want to return after a few years, I will hopefully have enough money saved to do a PGDE here.

However, I have heard plenty of horror stories about terrible schools/directors.
    I've been told that the Irish are pretty low on the pecking order (though my accent is pretty neutral).
    I have also been hearing that the current job market is terrible in Korea, particularly in and around Seoul. I was hoping to live in Gangnam, Seocho, or Songpa, but I'm open to places like Bucheon, Ilsan, and Bundang. I have no preference regarding age group. I would like to leave ASAP; anytime after the end of this month would be ideal.
    I have no formal teaching experience, but I have taught English and Irish grinds, and I teach beginner/improver dance classes once or twice a month. I really enjoy teaching.

Is it really that difficult to find a job in Korea? Would I be mad to turn down a job here?

TL;DR: Want to move to Korea. Offered entry level job in Ireland out of the blue. Should I stay or should I go?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 badbuzz

Hi guys,

I have been reading this thread a bit over the last while, and you seem to give good advice, so I hope you might be able to give me a little insight on my current dilemma. Apologies for the length of this post, and thank you in advance for your help!

A bit about me: I'm a 26 year old female from Dublin. I have a degree in English and Irish and an M.A. in English (American Literature). I recently finished one of those infamous online TEFL courses.

I've been jobless a while now and I feel like I'm at a bit of a dead end here in Ireland. I had been toying with the idea of moving to Korea for a long time, and I finally made the decision to actually do so a few months ago. I got my documents together (I just have to go to the Dept. of Foreign Affairs to get my degree and Garda cert apostilled). I was just about to contact recruiters and begin the job hunt.

Today, completely out of the blue, I got a phone call from a place in Dublin I had interviewed for in July (!). I had been turned down for the job initially, but was told that the position had opened up again, and they would like to offer it to me. Typical! :rolleyes:

My head's a bit of a mess at the moment. This job is only an entry level admin. position, and the pay isn't great. But it'd be a good company to work for, and everyone seems lovely.

I've wanted to teach for most of my life, so my gut is telling me to go to Korea anyway. I've never lived outside Ireland, and it'd be a great experience. I also feel that I would gain more out of teaching than from sitting at a desk all day. If I want to return after a few years, I will hopefully have enough money saved to do a PGDE here.

However, I have heard plenty of horror stories about terrible schools/directors.
    I've been told that the Irish are pretty low on the pecking order (though my accent is pretty neutral).
    I have also been hearing that the current job market is terrible in Korea, particularly in and around Seoul. I was hoping to live in Gangnam, Seocho, or Songpa, but I'm open to places like Bucheon, Ilsan, and Bundang. I have no preference regarding age group. I would like to leave ASAP; anytime after the end of this month would be ideal.
    I have no formal teaching experience, but I have taught English and Irish grinds, and I teach beginner/improver dance classes once or twice a month. I really enjoy teaching.

Is it really that difficult to find a job in Korea? Would I be mad to turn down a job here?

TL;DR: Want to move to Korea. Offered entry level job in Ireland out of the blue. Should I stay or should I go?

You could take the job in Ireland and seeing as you have most of your documentation together, apply to EPIK in April for the August/September hiring window for public school jobs.

You'd have 6 months working here, enough time to save money and get excited for going to Korea!

This mightn't be an option but it's just a suggestion!

badbuzz wrote: »
    You could take the job in Ireland and seeing as you have most of your documentation together, apply to EPIK in April for the August/September hiring window for public school jobs.

You'd have 6 months working here, enough time to save money and get excited for going to Korea!

This mightn't be an option but it's just a suggestion!

I have considered that. I would really like to get out of here soon, though.

Money isn't really an issue. I have enough saved to get me started in Korea. I'd also really like to be near the south of Seoul, as there's a large dance community (in the particular style I'm interested in) there, and I'd like to be able to keep it up. There is very little of it in other parts of Korea. Otherwise I wouldn't mind where I lived.

I'll still consider it if it looks like I won't be able to find a job in the next month or so. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

Hi all, I've been in korea almost a year now in a hagwon. My school handles all my bills. Today my director said she needs all my receipts (from everything ive bought all year) and my bank card statements. I have saved no receipts from anything. She said this was to work out how much tax I have to pay. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Inverted World, it sounds like you want to go to Korea, so I say go! Unless the job opportunity is some great once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. But it sounds like you're all about wanting to teach and wanting to go ASAP.

I'm the same age as you and have just finished a masters in September and not been working since, and I'm heading to Korea in a few weeks. I have ZERO teaching experience (at least you know you enjoy it! I'm hoping to enjoy it, but also pretty nervous about it!). I have done a couple TEFL courses which may not stand for much, but still certainly have given me some idea of what I'm doing!

As for the job search, I literally job searched for only two weeks and did multiple interviews before I found one I was happy with (Bucheon). From what I saw and was being offered, I don't think you'll have annnny trouble finding work in Gangnam or Seocho, there seems to be plenty.

Don't worry about being Irish (one school told me that while they usually hire americans for the accent they much prefer the personalities of Irish and Aussies!). I definitely recommend making a short video so they can hear your accent -the first week I did get a few messages back saying they were looking for North Americans only, but after I mentioned my neutral accent and linked to the video, I got way more interview offers.

Obviously there are good and bad hagwons, but if you do your research and speak to current teachers there before accepting you should be okay. I ended up taking a public school position. There are pros and cons but they certainly seem more reliable than hogwans.

Dsane1 I read another question like this on another forum, and it turned out that there had been a miscommunication, when the director asked for "receipts" they really meant bank statements. It seemed it was common enough for the school to ask for these and do your taxes for you. If they actually want receipts for everything then... eek I dunno.

dsane1 wrote: »
    Hi all, I've been in korea almost a year now in a hagwon. My school handles all my bills. Today my director said she needs all my receipts (from everything ive bought all year) and my bank card statements. I have saved no receipts from anything. She said this was to work out how much tax I have to pay. Is this normal?

It's not to see how much tax you owe, it's to see how much tax you can claim back. You can get tax back cards to use in the shop for anything you pay cash for, and if you use your cash card, then you can just supply the statments from your bank for that.

I'd imagine your boss is trying to claim money back, rather than get you to pay more.

Thanks, vicecreamsundae!

It's good to hear someone who was in my situation very recently. Job hunting here has been soul destroying! At least now I have a choice. When I made the decision to go to Korea, I did feel as if I had no other option. Now I do, but I still want to leave. It would have to be a dream job to get me to stay, I think.

I posted this over on Waygook as well and I got some really great advice. A lot of people said it would be more difficult in Seoul, but I can hold out for a little while to see if a job in my preferred areas shows up.

I'm going to make a video tomorrow and send it out this weekend.

Do you mind me asking which recruiters you found helpful? I've heard good things about OK Recruiting, and the seem to have a good few jobs in the areas I want to live. I hope they're not American-only.

I've been advised on what to look for when interviewing for hogwon jobs. I hope I've done enough research to lower my chance of landing a nightmare job.

Hi guys,

Make sure the Garda cert is less than 6 months old.

Today, completely out of the blue, I got a phone call from a place in Dublin I had interviewed for in July (!). I had been turned down for the job initially, but was told that the position had opened up again, and they would like to offer it to me. Typical!

Is it something you want to work at? It mustn't be when you want to come home and do a PGDE. Forget the job.

Go, you can save more than enough to come home and do your PGDE. The first time I went, i saved money and did my masters degree. I went back again after I finished my degree and stayed for 12 months and I was able to save about €13,000 in 12 months.

You get them in all walks of life. The key thing is to do as much research as possible about the school, the owners, your accomodation and the area you will live in.

This is not true. This whole thing about them wanting an American with blonde air and blue eyes is bullshít. My school didn't even like hiring Americans because they are complaining idiots (from their previous experience with them). Irish are wanted, don't let them try to lowball you on wages because you're Irish.

I have also been hearing that the current job market is terrible in Korea, particularly in and around Seoul. I was hoping to live in Gangnam, Seocho, or Songpa, but I'm open to places like Bucheon, Ilsan, and Bundang. I have no preference regarding age group.

There are loads of jobs in Seoul. It's public jobs that you'll find hard to get (and that's usually just during the block hiring period) I have friends trying to find Busan and Geoje, but they just keep getting offered Seoul.

I would like to leave ASAP; anytime after the end of this month would be ideal.

Get all your documents stamped. This will show that you're ready to go. Scan them in and e-mail them to recruiters showing you're ready. This will make you easy money for them. However, don't let them bully you into taking something you don't want. Just keep going, and try using as many recruiters and jobs as possible before choosing the one that suits best.

Don’t send anyone your documents until you have a contract signed. They don’t need the originals until it’s time to process the visa.

This will give you the experience and make you decide, for definite, if teaching is your future. Just remember, if you want to do your pgde next year, you'll have to go to Korea as soon as possible, so you'll be available for interviews on March/April/ May next year.

No it's not, no You're not. Don't choose a job here just because people will tell you 'oh you're lucky to be offered a job' screw them, teaching and living in Korea is a great life to have, it's fun, you'll get good money and you'll have some amazing stories and memories.

What will working in Admin for 6 months do for you?

Also, stick your CV up on worknplay

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

Inverted World, my favourite recruiters were

Teach ESL korea - teacheslkorea@gmail.com I dealt with Dan Henrickson (western) and Scott (Korean) -they got me the public school job.

Pegasus recruiting - pegasusrecruiting@gmail.com I dealt with Vanessa (western) and SK (korean)

Korvia i dealt with rilee@korvia.com

Teachers for south korea admin@teachersforsouthkorea.com I dealt with an Irish guy, David.

These were the recruiters who made the most effort with me.

Have you decided between hagwons and public schools? I like that in hagwons you have a lot of foreign teachers in the school, but i ended up going for public school, mainly because of the extra vacation and shorter teaching hours. Certainly there are fewer public school jobs, but there are still some going (I'm still getting emails about them) so think about it anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Just wondering if anyone know anything about a "certificate of residence"?

My head teacher has just asked me for a letter that effectively says that I am, or was an Irish resident. Anyone know where to get one?

Advertisement