Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭HenryChinaski

[Public schools don't pay for your flights out here (unless in some rare cases I haven't heard about??) but perhaps you were talking about hagwons? Most hagwons will. As for Tiger English - I have talked about them before so no need to revisit that!;)]

I haven't seen what you said about Tiger English but I'm curious. I dealt with Kevin and feel he did good by me. I had a couple of nice, long chats with him where he was sound out and very straight up. He got me three interview offers, I didn't even take one because I didn't like the sound of it. I got offers from the other two and even when I rejected the first one he was cool out he didn't pressure me take it or anything. He listened to my reasons and said fair enough. The job I took has as I've made obvious worked out great. Also I've met 8 or 9 teachers here in Ulsan who came out with him and all had the same experience.

[If you do your research you should have a fair idea of the type of place you could end up living in. Look up the province and try to talk to teachers who have lived there, or in similar areas. Find out about the biggest towns and the more rural areas. If you don't like what you see then don't apply. Apply for Seoul or Busan instead!!]

Seoul and Busan are very competitive to get into but in any case I wasn't looking for either of them because I didn't really want to be living in a mega city with millions of people because I knew logistics would come into play. In fact Ulsan was actually the first city that crossed my radar where I though yeah I like the sound of that. It's not so big that you're completely smothered have to trek around a lot yet it's still big enough to have a good city buzz to it. Then it's close enough to Busan and Daegu that it's easy trip in whenever you want to go. By chance then I ended up here and I love it, it's exactly as I predicted.

[You mean actual teaching? ;)]

Haha, yeah f**k that noise.

[Haha!!! I wouldn't necessarily narrow this down to EPIK. I've met some really cool people in EPIK and some people who are.... less cool...]

Me too and I know it's a big generalization and of course there's cool EPIK heads just like there's d**khead hagwon teachers, but there's what's pretty much an EPIK bar here and I mean if you went in there and saw the carry on out of them you'd be hard pushed not to generalize too.

[Ouch!! Come on, tell the truth - EPIK rejected you?? ]

That's true they did but I left it very late to apply and had missed the first round of offers. Tried for a couple of second rounds but got no cigar. I am from Limerick though!

[Into what? Reading from a book? Or is it just pronunciation??]

Bit of both with a couple of higher level TOEFL classes - handy number really!

[But you get out and it's night time. I get out and I really do have the day to myself!! Getting up at 7am takes some getting used to and can stop you going out druing the week (now and again...;)). Then again, I can go to the gym after school and go and watch a Soccer/Baseball/Basketball game mid-week at 7pm when all the hagwon teachers are still working.]

Well Ive always been a bit of a night-owl myself to be honest. I'd never be as happy as I am now in a job where I had to get up early and go to bed early but that's different strokes I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Good stuff, you sound like you have a good number so that's half the battle! I haven't actually made it up to Ulsan yet. What's the place like? I was supposed to go up last weekend for a soccer match but couldn't drag myself out of bed on a Saturday morning..

I didn't find Tiger English to be very helpful. Did the TEFL course they recommended and they sent me 1 offer for a School in the middle of nowhere after about 3 weeks and I didn't hear from them again. No replies to emails...etc. But I know one or two people who seemed happy enough with them, like yourself.

Yeah it's a nice gig. We've a reliable school and having two other Irish teachers is sweet. Yeah in fairness Tiger don't really act with much of a sense of urgency and I was waiting a few weeks but then I got a flurry of emails off them fairly quickly after a few weeks asking me which jobs I'd be interested in. It worked out fine though because I was also waiting to hear about the second round public offers but I've another mate who got sick of waiting and went through another recruiter on Dave's ESL Cafe. He actually ended up getting a great public school gig mid term and it's possibly the best number I've heard of anyone having he has it proper cushty so again what I was saying isn't always the case. He did have to do it from home though.

Yeah Ulsan is a good spot. It's got a large teacher population that would generally be found centralized in maybe five or six different foreigner bars on weekends but it's hit and miss regarding how lively it'll be. Some weekends are hopping and the craic is ninety. Others you could go into the main actual nightclub and not know anyone so it's a bit odd like that. In the end of the day though I couldn't be happier with it and I'd defo recommend it for a visit it's only a forty minute hop from Busan and is ideal for some Sat night when yer looking for a change of scenery.

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭ekevosu

Just a quick note on the Garda clearance. While it will slow it slightly listing the places you lived, the epik public school form asks you to list where you have lived the last 10 years so it wouldn't take a genius to put two and two together. Of course for a hagwon it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Undercover Brother

More complaining from Undercover brother! As I said on here before, I did my embassy interview last Tuesday. They said the passport would be ready for collection on Monday, but I was in London over the weekend and only got back Monday evening. I'm from the north and had no one to pick it up for me, but I didnt mind this as I gave them a prepaid envelope, express delivery so I thought I'd have it on Tuesday. I phoned them on Tuesday morn about 10.30 and the girl said the passport was sent out yday (Tues), I assumed she meant yday morning, still ok as I would get it today (Wed). Of course it didnt show today. I ring again and am told it was posted after 5 yday. If they had made that clear to me yday when I rang I could have went down and picked it up, I thought from what the girl said it had already been posted when I rang. Now tomorrow is a bank holiday so no post. I phoned An Post to see if there was anywhere I could come to and pick it up today but apparently this isn't possible. The girl there also told me that there was no guarantee I'd have it on Friday due to backlog over bank holiday and the express post doesn't count Sat or Sun as working days so it could be Monday before I get it. I am absolutely steaming with rage. I thougt I'd be out today or tomorrow, now if I dont get the passport till Monday, book a flight for Tues, it'll be Wed before I get there. The school have been understanding so far with my various visa issues but this could stretch their patience. Anyway, rant over. On the plus side I'll get out for St Paddys tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Undercover Brother - Within a few months here you'll either have resolved your patience issues or you'll be looking to go home. Impatience and frustration will give you a heart attack out here. Just go with flow and it'll be all good.

P.s. Just in case you think I'm being condescending or anything I'm not. I had to wait like two weeks longer than originally expected because of all that sh*te too and I know your pain. You just have to take a back seat and run with it or you'll be pulling your hair out.

Undercover Brother - Within a few months here you'll either have resolved your patience issues or you'll be looking to go home. Impatience and frustration will give you a heart attack out here. Just go with flow and it'll be all good.

P.s. Just in case you think I'm being condescending or anything I'm not. I had to wait like two weeks longer than originally expected because of all that sh*te too and I know your pain. You just have to take a back seat and run with it or you'll be pulling your hair out.

Lol sometimes I do think I have anger management issues Henry but it always passes after an hour or two and I just say fcuk it. Like earlier today I was fuming (hence the post) now i'm not bothered, theres nothing I can do to speed up the process, just have to wait till I get the passport and then go. I'm just annoyed because my school director has been really nice, and she wanted me out around today or tomorrow. I suppose I'll only be a few days late. But its a new hagwon and classes are only starting on Monday, so it would have been nice to get out a few days early, get settled, have a look around etc

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

My apostilled documents arrived back today from the DFA... Are they just supposed to be stamps on the back of the documents? I thought there was supposed to be a certificate attached to the documents or something? I included a letter stating what it was for etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

dapto1 wrote: »
    My apostilled documents arrived back today from the DFA... Are they just supposed to be stamps on the back of the documents? I thought there was supposed to be a certificate attached to the documents or something? I included a letter stating what it was for etc...

Dont worry thats all ya need. Its just a stamp on the back

Dont worry thats all ya need. Its just a stamp on the back
    Cheers thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Twin Lance

Hey everyone, arrived into Suncheon city last night to teach for the year. So far very interesting! Just thought I'd raise a flag in the hope that there's another person from Boards out here, although its a small-ish city so my hopes aren't too high! If there is anyone around Suncheon or Gwangyang give me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

A lot of people made their way over to Korea lately, judging by the new names in here. I hope you guys are enjoying it.

Undercover brother, don't sweat it, when you get there, you get there. I couldn't blame you for wanting to get out of Roslea though :)

Just a word of advice for anyone thinking about teaching / working / spending any amount of time in Cambodia.......don't, the place is a sh*thole. I've only been here a few days and I can't wait until tuesday morning to get the hell out of here and in to Vietnam.

Argh my previous employers are taking ages to get my reference letter to me. I have all my apostilles and transcripts, but I can't start the EPIK process until I get my reference letters! So frustrating!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭conbob

Argh my previous employers are taking ages to get my reference letter to me. I have all my apostilles and transcripts, but I can't start the EPIK process until I get my reference letters! So frustrating!

Applications still haven't opened. Loads of time yet :)

cloneslad wrote: »
    A lot of people made their way over to Korea lately, judging by the new names in here. I hope you guys are enjoying it.

Undercover brother, don't sweat it, when you get there, you get there. I couldn't blame you for wanting to get out of Roslea though :)

Just a word of advice for anyone thinking about teaching / working / spending any amount of time in Cambodia.......don't, the place is a sh*thole. I've only been here a few days and I can't wait until tuesday morning to get the hell out of here and in to Vietnam.

Well cloneslad, I arrived here yday afternoon. Am in Dongtan now. Sittin in the apt waiting to be picked up for my first day at work. All going well so far, everyone seems sound, gonna do some training today and then take a couple of classes this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marsipanss

Hi everyone, Hope you are all well.

I have just got offered a job in Avalon English school in Hwamyeong. The hours and pay are standard. I am just wondering has anyone heard about this school. i am in contact with the head teacher and he loves it and sounds great.

Google maps says its 1hr away from Busan centre, is this true?

Id like something more central but is proving more than difficult due to my Irish accent, which isn't strong at all.

The school want me out in 2 weeks, if i accept i have to go to Japan to get my visa instead. Im not too bothered about this, means a free trip to Japan even if it is only overnight :)

Do many teachers visit home during their contract? Also how many days holidays do you get during your contract with EPIK? excluding public holidays :confused:

Marsipanss wrote: »
    Id like something more central but is proving more than difficult due to my Irish accent, which isn't strong at all.

That seems a bit odd... Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

conbob wrote: »
    Applications still haven't opened. Loads of time yet :)

Will the applications open bang on the 1st of April or will it open mid April? I'm waiting on my second letter of reference, got my first today and I got two copies of my transcripts.

I'm hoping to head home to get my BA and MA copied and apostilled, still waiting on certificate of character. The dept of foreign affairs malarkey can be done in a day (I HOPE!!)

Just a quick question about the degree copies, does it have to be copied on the exact same size page or can it be done on an A4 page. Would it have to be copied in the office that it is to be apostilled in or can it be done in a printing place?

Where are you hoping to go, squeakyduck? I'm putting Incheon and Busan as my first two choices, no idea what to put after that. Good luck with your application!

• Advertisement

Will the applications open bang on the 1st of April or will it open mid April? I'm waiting on my second letter of reference, got my first today and I got two copies of my transcripts.

I'm hoping to head home to get my BA and MA copied and apostilled, still waiting on certificate of character. The dept of foreign affairs malarkey can be done in a day (I HOPE!!)

Just a quick question about the degree copies, does it have to be copied on the exact same size page or can it be done on an A4 page. Would it have to be copied in the office that it is to be apostilled in or can it be done in a printing place?

Just so you know the recruiter I'm applying with has told me that to get to interviews you only need to send the completed application form and your 2 references scanned sent on in an email. Then if you are successful they ask for the rest.

Actually yeah I've been told that as well, conbob. What recruiter are you going through? I've decided on Korvia, they seemed to take a bit more of an interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Where are you hoping to go, squeakyduck? I'm putting Incheon and Busan as my first two choices, no idea what to put after that. Good luck with your application!

Hmmmm...maybe Taegu or Busan. I might fill in the application tonight. Anyone got some amazing recruiters on their hands that they would like to share? Do ye guys have multiple ones or do ye just have one?

I've been onto Footprints, Worknplay, Planet ESL, Tiger English, Korvia and one or two more. All of them seemed pretty good but as you can only apply to EPIK through one I'm going with Korvia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭virmilitaris

Lads anyone interested in teaching adults in incheon give me a pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Hi guys,

Did any of ye have to bring a copy of your Transcripts to the embassy in Dublin when you were there to apply for your visa?

What else did you need to bring?

What's the average waiting time? Any chance they can do if faster if start date is looming?

Actually yeah I've been told that as well, conbob. What recruiter are you going through? I've decided on Korvia, they seemed to take a bit more of an interest.

The only one I knew was Tiger English. They don't do EPIK so they sent me onto ESLstarter. Seem nice enough. Might see what Korvia are like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 RighteousDude

kraggy wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Did any of ye have to bring a copy of your Transcripts to the embassy in Dublin when you were there to apply for your visa?

What else did you need to bring?

What's the average waiting time? Any chance they can do if faster if start date is looming?

You don't need your transcripts at the Embassy. I would advise you to ring them, the girls there are very helpful. She will give you a comprehensive list of what you need.

You will be waiting up to a week for your visa after you visit the embassy. Tell them you are leaving in a week and they will speed it up, they did for me.

Marsipanss wrote: »
    Hi everyone, Hope you are all well.

I have just got offered a job in Avalon English school in Hwamyeong. The hours and pay are standard. I am just wondering has anyone heard about this school. i am in contact with the head teacher and he loves it and sounds great.

Google maps says its 1hr away from Busan centre, is this true?

The school want me out in 2 weeks, if i accept i have to go to Japan to get my visa instead. Im not too bothered about this, means a free trip to Japan even if it is only overnight :)

Don't know the school. Avalon are a big chain but they are all different so your best bet is talking to a current foreign teacher there. I know a good few people living in Hwamyeong. It's about 35/40mins from Seomyeon (downtown Busan), 1 hour from KSU (main going out area) and about 1 hour and 25 from Haeundae (famous beach, good nightlife).

• Advertisement

conbob wrote: »
    Do many teachers visit home during their contract? Also how many days holidays do you get during your contract with EPIK? excluding public holidays :confused:

I know a few Canadians and Americans who have visited home over their holidays. I get 18 holidays but you can get anywhere between 18-21 working holidays..

Advertisement