Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭FungiWalsh

Quick question: should I anticipate much of a wait in the Korean embassy when applying for my Visa? I get into Dublin at around 10am tomorrow morning, and they close at 12 apparently, so I just want to make sure I'll have enough time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

FungiWalsh wrote: »
    Quick question: should I anticipate much of a wait in the Korean embassy when applying for my Visa? I get into Dublin at around 10am tomorrow morning, and they close at 12 apparently, so I just want to make sure I'll have enough time!

No, shouldn't be much of a wait! Did you call them to let them know you'd be coming? Have you an interview arranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

cloneslad wrote: »
    Have you an interview arranged?

Do you have to do an interview at the embassy when applying for the visa? I just walked in filled in the form and gave them what needed to be given.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

FungiWalsh wrote: »

They don't close at 12, but they do stop taking in visa applications at that time (initial ones; if you are simply picking one up that you already applied for, I'm sure they will be more accommodating). Ring ahead and explain your situation just in case, and of course get a taxi from the airport, it will take you a solid hour to get from the airport to the embassy.
    Do you have to do an interview at the embassy when applying for the visa? I just walked in filled in the form and gave them what needed to be given.

I didn't, and neither did the half dozen paddies I know here.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daesu

cloneslad wrote: »
    No, shouldn't be much of a wait! Did you call them to let them know you'd be coming? Have you an interview arranged?

I'm pretty sure the Interview is no longer required unless there's something in your documents that they want to talk about further.

• Advertisement

yeah, one of the things that was brought in in 2008 or 2009 was an interview. It was brought in for new applicants, who had never had an E2 visa, and had to be taken in your home country. it was to stop people working illegally then heading to Japan to process their visa.

I remember driving up to the embassy in 2010, despite having already had an E2 visa, handing in my documents and being told they needed to verify that I didn't need an interview. This verification couldn't be done there and then, despite me telling them I definitely didn't need one, and I had to drive back up the following day.

As are most things in Korea, they only decide when to do it on a 'how can we be most inconvenient basis', because I know of a few people who were able to get theirs done in Japan anyway. They may have gotten rid of the interview now.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭formerrunner25

Hi all, just a quick question. I got a job in South Korea and I accepted. I already informed my recruiter that although I had completed my degree I would not receive my diploma until I graduate in November. She said it would be fine. So I sent over all the documentation and now she is saying we will have to wait to November until I graduate as I dont have the diploma. Anyone have any experience regarding this?

Hi all, just a quick question. I got a job in South Korea and I accepted. I already informed my recruiter that although I had completed my degree I would not receive my diploma until I graduate in November. She said it would be fine. So I sent over all the documentation and now she is saying we will have to wait to November until I graduate as I dont have the diploma. Anyone have any experience regarding this?

Unless things have changed, you must have already graduated for the normal E-2 Visa for most jobs. Even a letter from your University stating you are going to graduate isn't enough.

Have you any kind of certification from Uni ? A 2 year Cert or 3 year diploma ? (Is that an ordinary degree nowadays ?)

I would suggest going to your University, explaining the situation, and asking if it would be possible to get a copy early.

Another option would be to teach without a degree. I have to search for the relevant links so I'll get back to you with details in a bit.

Yes I have a 2 year higher certificate. I dont think this would qualify me for the visa though. I think I'll ring the school in the morning and see if there is anything they can do

Yes I have a 2 year higher certificate. I dont think this would qualify me for the visa though. I think I'll ring the school in the morning and see if there is anything they can do

There are definitely people who have been in your situation that have been able to go over anyway. Unfortunately I cannot recall off the top of my head how they went about it; I would like to say a letter from the college sufficed, but I really can't remember right now. Your best bet would be to go back a few pages in this thread and start reading backwards. Also, contact the Korean embassy and ask. Is the job in a hagwon(private school) or public school? It could be a case that if its a hagwon they don't want the hassle. Apply for GEPIK anyway, they are a large enough institution, and so your best bet, considering they've probably had thousands applying in the same situation as you over the years.

Oh and of course, apply for a new garda certificate of character immediately, as you won't be seeing the one you sent over again most likely. What recruitment agency were you with?

• Advertisement

Yeh I read through the thread. There hasn't been to much mentioned on it. Eh the school is private. The recruiter told me she will know in 2-3 days whether it will be okay. Not quite sure why it's taking that long.

No it won't qualify you for the normal E-2 Visa. But you can teach under a special government program in certain provinces without a degree as long as you have at least 2 years University study done.

Some Korean provinces convinced the Korean government to relax Visa conditions for certain areas because of the demand for English teachers. You would be limited to teaching in public schools in these provinces. I don't know which areas, but an educated guess would be Gangwon-do, Chungcheongbuk-do, Chungcheongnam-do, Jeollabuk-do, Jeollanam-do, Gyeongsangbuk-do, and Gyeongsangnam-do.

This doesn't necessarily mean you'd be in a small town or in the countryside, you could end up in one of the provincial cities such as Jeonju or Muan in Jeolla, for example, but I'd wager it would be the luck of the draw.

Please see here; http://www.talk.go.kr/ (Click on About Talk -> Program details)

You can also check out this (old) advertisement for one of these positions; http://dublincity.olx.ie/teach-english-in-korea-no-ba-degree-required-public-school-iid-15214451

One of the benefits to this is that they offer 6 month contracts so it would give you a taste of Korea before committing to a 12 month contract when you do get your degree diploma.

AFAIK they take people in August so unfortunately you may already be too late.

The recruiter told me she will know in 2-3 days whether it will be okay. Not quite sure why it's taking that long.

Well, she's waiting back for word from immigration I'd say. In the meantime contact your college, the embassy here, and apply for a new certificate of character.

I was going to ask the recruiter to send the documents back?ha.
    I was actually wonder could I get blacklisted because of this as I did sign the contract and the school has all my details?

I was going to ask the recruiter to send the documents back?ha.
    I was actually wonder could I get blacklisted because of this as I did sign the contract and the school has all my details?

Nah man don't be worried about stuff like that! Come here and punch a student in the face, that'll get you black listed :D Don't be frettin' over stuff like that; the process may seem elaborate and very uptight but things ain't that serious.

Not sure if she would send the certificate of character back. She might though; the error was her own. Sit tight and wait to see what her response is. In the mean time it won't hurt to apply for another one, they are free. I did; in case my first job application didn't come through for whatever reason, and I received it not long after. Still have it, just never needed it.

ha I see. I would apply for another job. But there is hardly any point if I dont have all the necessary documents. I might be best of waiting until September and looking out for jobs that start in November after my blasted graduation ha. Cant believe I might not be able to go until November even though I have completed my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

A mate of mine here (Seoul) is looking for a new job and is having a bit of bother. Are things really that bad?
    I keep telling him that its just a bad time because I see so many people on here landing jobs.

Any advice on any words of comfort I can extend to him? :o

ha I see. I would apply for another job. But there is hardly any point if I dont have all the necessary documents. I might be best of waiting until September and looking out for jobs that start in November after my blasted graduation ha. Cant believe I might not be able to go until November even though I have completed my degree.

Or come to Korea on a working holiday visa and travel or work in a bar/restaurant for a few months until you can get your diploma mailed to you. You could also tutor English part-time to individuals to earn more money on the side if you were so inclined.

One of the main benefits of doing this is that it's easier to find jobs once you are already here and you can go interview and look at a place in person and decide whats best for you. Some of the better jobs always prefer hiring people who are already here who they can meet face-to-face.

Any advice on any words of comfort I can extend to him? :o

I take it he's looking for a job in the Seoul Metro area ? I've heard that many people have found it difficult to get jobs these days. I've even heard some of my friends turned down specifically because the schools had had a bad experience with an Irish teacher before and would no longer hire any Irish people.

If he needs a job quickly he could probably get one much more easily outside the Seoul area than within. And by the Seoul area, I don't mean Seoul city, I mean the metro area surrounding Seoul.

If the worst scenario (this one) happens, be pro-active. Work. I have spent maybe 2 grand here so far (actually probably more) and have yet to receive a full months payment (cause I came half way through a month). So save.

Learn Korean. My Korean is shocking considering I've been here a while. Like, 5 words and the lyrics to Girls Generation songs :pac:, that's how bad I am. It's shameful. Go to talktomeinkorean.com and start downloading and listening. It's free.

Shop around for jobs. Start applying in October, and reject lots of jobs that aren't in the area that you want, or don't offer good wages/benefits. Don't let anyone tell you you can't get a job in a populated area, that's nonsense.

And finally and most importantly, do you have a certification? If not, get one. I was out drinking with other foreigners this weekend that are here as long as 10 years, and I'm starting to hear from them that public schools are now starting to reject applicants with only online certification (like mine). Hagwons still take them though, as far as I know. So AT LEAST do an online certification, that is AT LEAST an 140 hour one. Those are the rules nowadays. Keep visiting citideals, they offer them regularly for 1/5th the price I paid for mine. If you want to increase your chances with public schools, consider doing an in-class course, like a CELTA. These are a bit pricey at around 2 grand, but worth it if if gets you a job.

Everything happens for a reason; maybe you need to do these things before you come over. It'll still be here in November (hopefully :)) so no need to rush!

• Advertisement

There have been people who have gotten a letter from their University and had it stamped etc, and they were able to get jobs. Unfortunately these are people I have read about and not known, but as far as I'm aware, it is possible.

If you're only goin to teach in a hagwon, don't bother with a TEFL course, they don't care about them, and they won't get you any extra cash.

If you want to teach English long term, don't do a 100,120,160 etc hour course, get a CELTA and do it properly, or else do the Masters in TESOl from Birmingham when you're over in Korea.

Hi Guys my recruiter got back to me and Incheon immigration office will accept the documents. I have been offered an interview for a school in SiHeung? can anyone tell me about the area?

Hi Guys my recruiter got back to me and Incheon immigration office will accept the documents.

I'm surprised at that but congrats.
    I have been offered an interview for a school in SiHeung? can anyone tell me about the area?

What do you want to know ? It's about an hour from the centre of Seoul, an hour from Incheon city, and 40 minutes (or much less by taxi) from Bucheon city. I know people who used to live there and they liked it well enough.

There's lots of buses and I believe there's an old railway line been reopening this year as a renovated subway line to connect Siheung to Incheon and Suwon.

Thanks I was very surprised myself to be honest. I had given up hope and had planned on waiting until November.
    That sounds good. Eh just any general information about the city really. Is it big? is it a modern city? Is it a good area for a tourist.. I know I'm not going on holidays or anything. Would there be good night life?

By the way, Siheung city or Siheung-dong in Seoul ?

The information I've been giving you is about Siheung city http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siheung
    Siheung-Dong is a neighbourhood in Geumcheon, one of the districts of Seoul. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geumcheon-gu

The latter would probably be a more preferable place to live for most people.
    Eh just any general information about the city really. Is it big?

Not by Korean standards. The population is only about half a million. Here's the government website for the city. http://www.siheung.go.kr/english/index.jsp
    is it a modern city?

It has old parts and new parts. I don't know where you're going to be.
    Is it a good area for a tourist..

There's a theme park and other recreational facilities there. You are also going to be quite close to other cities like Seoul, Incheon, Bucheon, Suwon etc. where there are lots of tourist sites.
    Would there be good night life?

This is a very difficult question to answer. Like anywhere in Korea there are restaurants, bars*, and nightclubs* open until the early hours. Some stay open almost 24/7.

But you have to understand that the culture here is extremely different from what it is like at home so when I say bar and nightclub I don't mean bars and nightclubs like at home.

- Bars in Korea are places to go with friends to eat and drink. They are not places to go to meet strangers or pick up singles. Korean bars have tables for 2+ people, you don't go there alone. There are some foreign-style bars where you can just drink but most places will require that you buy some food.

There may be a real foreign bar there to cater for the foreign community but if there is one I don't know about it and neither do my friends who lived there last year.

- Korean nightclubs are places to go with others to sit down, eat expensive food, and buy expensive alcohol. You do not walk around and meet people, you do not go talking to strangers. There isn't usually a bar, you have a waiter who will take your orders for you. If you want to meet a lady you have to give the waiter money and he will go to a table of single women and drag her over to your table. You are then expected to buy her a drink and she is expected to stay until the drink is finished at which point she can choose to stay or go back to her friends.

If you're a woman you can go to these places for free or for cheap but I wouldn't recommend it.

I've very rarely met any foreigners who ever went to these nightclubs because A) they are very expensive, B) you need to go in a group, C) you pretty much need to speak at least basic Korean, D) many of them will refuse entry to foreigners because they don't understand the etiquette and end up annoying other customers, and E) going to pick up the opposite sex is usually a futile endeavour for various reasons.

There are nightclubs which are American/European style (Koreans call them "Nite") but they are pretty much isolated to Itaewon, as well as one or two other places such as Hongdae and Gangnam. Almost all of which are in Seoul.

Hi Guys my recruiter got back to me and Incheon immigration office will accept the documents. I have been offered an interview for a school in SiHeung? can anyone tell me about the area?

Congrats. Just had a look at where SiHeung is situated (the city) and, hmm, I would maybe try and push your recruiter for something closer to Seoul. Unless you don't have a TEFL or anything, in which case, you will need to take whatever is offered. Every recruiter I spoke to absolutely required me to have a TEFL certificate (most refused to give me a position because I had no previous experience, despite having a TEFL) so if they are offering you this position with no TEFL and no degree in hand, I say grab it ASAP.

Actually, you're not that bad geographically. You'll probably just have to take one bus to connect to the subway then you're off. I can tell you that if you are close to Bucheon, which you are, you will have a very very good time in Korea :pac: I prefer Bucheon to parts of Seoul tbh.

I'm literally on the other side of Bucheon, in Gimpo. We'll grab a pitcher when you're over :D

Thanks for the feedback guys. Have the Tefl but wont have the degree in hand until Nov...bit of a pain that the graduation is so late..I think I'll go for it..I have a friend in Incheon as well..so Ill be pretty close to him as well. ha plenty of pitchers will be had

Good stuff. The next part of the process is once the recruiter has all your documents she will apply for a visa number, then when she gives you that, head to the embassy ASAP with your passport and I believe 35 euro, from what I remember, the charge for the visa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

daesu wrote: »
    I've very rarely met any foreigners who ever went to these nightclubs because A) they are very expensive, B) you need to go in a group, C) you pretty much need to speak at least basic Korean, D) many of them will refuse entry to foreigners because they don't understand the etiquette and end up annoying other customers, and E) going to pick up the opposite sex is usually a futile endeavour for various reasons.

There are nightclubs which are American/European style (Koreans call them "Nite") but they are pretty much isolated to Itaewon, as well as one or two other places such as Hongdae and Gangnam. Almost all of which are in Seoul.

Agreed. Traditional Korean nightclubs are the pits. Hard to get into the vibe and know what is exactly going on there. It's just a kind of 'show and tell' thing; overpriced drinks and showing off.

I'm not saying stick to the expat places, just to dip your toes into all pools and see which feels best. Great thing is, though, that you can start a night out in front of a convenience store; get a few cans or bottles (most shops will actually open the bottles for you, too), plant your arse in a seat out front if they have them, and watch the world go by. Then, when your 'Hite'ened' senses kick in, plan the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Is there much money to be made teaching english in South Korea?
    Is it a career?

Advertisement