Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefl in South Korea

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

camoramo wrote: »
    Just another question, how long was the whole visa process for everyone after you got your visa number?

I got mine on a Monday I went to the embassy on the following Monday and collected my visa on the Thursday. I flew from Dublin the day after. It's a very quick affair!
    Hi,
    I'm currently looking for a job in South Korea. I have had 2 interviews already in one week. I only finished my degree in May and Dont graduate until october so wont have my official diploma until then. Will this be a problem or can you get your official final year results apostillated?

I was working with a girl that was in the same situation. I think she got a letter from the college saying that she wouldn't be graduating until X month.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Hi,
    Eventually I decided to accept it and then the school informed me they had given the job to someone else because I took so long to decide. It only took me 2 days ha.

Yeah don't do this over something so trivial (if a little silly) guys. Let them know quick, unless your concern is they are sending you to a bad location, in which case spend a few hours googling around to find out if it's somewhere you'll be happy for a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭formerrunner25

Excellent stuff. Was worried that this could affect me getting the visa. was talking to my college today and they are drafting up a stamped letter for me. Got two job offers today, one in the centre of Seoul and the other just outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

Cloneslad thanks for the information on recruiters, very helpful starting points.

Thanks to everyone who contributes information.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

This doesn't really have that much to do with TEFL in South Korea but do you know how to reclaim you old mobile number when you return home?

• Advertisement

hyperbaby wrote: »
    This doesn't really have that much to do with TEFL in South Korea but do you know how to reclaim you old mobile number when you return home?

What network are you with?

Vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

You just come back and top it up. You could use your online banking to top it up. If you have no sim card, you can go into them and get another one, you can also choose to move to another network, and just give them your number.

I have the same number from when I was about 16, I used to top my phone up every four or five months when I was in Korea, so I could sent we texts to my mates. This kept it activated, not sure what the limit is now, but I know it used to be 6 months before they cut me off from calling, and 12 for receiving. They won't take your number away from you for a couple of years or so.

angryangel wrote: »
    Cloneslad thanks for the information on recruiters, very helpful starting points.

Thanks to everyone who contributes information.

It's no problem at all, it helps pass my lunchtime at work.

My friend still had her number with vodafone when she came back even though they had disconnected her before she left for Korea.

I'm with meteor and before six months passes I ring up CC and ask them to top up my number. I can do it with my laser card, so simple.

• Advertisement

cloneslad wrote: »
    You just come back and top it up. You could use your online banking to top it up. If you have no sim card, you can go into them and get another one, you can also choose to move to another network, and just give them your number.

I have the same number from when I was about 16, I used to top my phone up every four or five months when I was in Korea, so I could sent we texts to my mates. This kept it activated, not sure what the limit is now, but I know it used to be 6 months before they cut me off from calling, and 12 for receiving. They won't take your number away from you for a couple of years or so.

Oh really, that's great!
    I never got phone calls to work but I was still receiving texts until the 6 month mark and then it stopped working.
    Thanks for your help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

All you people working in GnB, which city are you in? I worked for GnB for 6 months a few years ago; awful kip altogether. Terrible books, non-existent curriculum, major discipline issues. Like a zoo

Brokentime wrote: »
    All you people working in GnB, which city are you in? I worked for GnB for 6 months a few years ago; awful kip altogether. Terrible books, non-existent curriculum, major discipline issues. Like a zoo

They have no rules when it comes to opening a franchise, I know of about 6-7 within a 5 mile radius of each other. This was in the countryside too, so the number of potential students was quite low. Compare that to ECC, of which there was only one on the entire Island, due to contract stipulations.

I don't know why people pay for the brand name, when they get so little in return from the owners, especially exclusivity in an area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

I have never even heard of GnB!

Is anyone here working in a company-owned YBM? I've heard mixed reviews but know they always pay on time and they have a set curriculum so that seems good. But I have been offered terrible pay!

Does anyone know anything about working on Jeju island? I have gotten an offer in the city there but am a bit worried about it being too quiet?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for all your help so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭TheRealSquishy

May be such a stupid question but I'm looking at doing a TEFL course to teach abroad but do you need a degree with it also? I'm dropping out of second arts (english and soc and pol) and I'm really interested in doing teaching abroad but is it possible with just the TEFL? Thanks lads!

camoramo wrote: »
    I have never even heard of GnB!

Is anyone here working in a company-owned YBM? I've heard mixed reviews but know they always pay on time and they have a set curriculum so that seems good. But I have been offered terrible pay!

Does anyone know anything about working on Jeju island? I have gotten an offer in the city there but am a bit worried about it being too quiet?

Sorry about all the questions and thanks for all your help so far!

Never heard of GnB (Girls 'n Boys)? Thank your lucky stars. Total mess.

Jeju is a cool place to work, so I've heard. Mainly a holiday resort island; fair share of tottie coming and going, and a nice relaxed vibe. Sure why wouldn't you for a year??

May be such a stupid question but I'm looking at doing a TEFL course to teach abroad but do you need a degree with it also? I'm dropping out of second arts (english and soc and pol) and I'm really interested in doing teaching abroad but is it possible with just the TEFL? Thanks lads!

No. A degree is necessary to get a visa to work in most countries around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

I think it's possible to teach in China with just a TEFL; one of the guys on my CELTA course didn't have a degree, so he and his girlfriend went to China. I''m not sure if they've changed that since.

Most countries probably require a degree though.

roosh wrote: »
    I think it's possible to teach in China with just a TEFL; one of the guys on my CELTA course didn't have a degree, so he and his girlfriend went to China. I''m not sure if they've changed that since.

I'm in China; this is a big no-no. You need a degree in any discipline to teach. Having the CELTA or TEFL alone won't cut it.

That said, there are some people working here with no degrees, but they have a different visa where their company (or foreign embassy) 'sponsor' them, so they are allowed to work here. They're usually businesspeople, though.

I'm in China; this is a big no-no. You need a degree in any discipline to teach. Having the CELTA or TEFL alone won't cut it.

That said, there are some people working here with no degrees, but they have a different visa where their company (or foreign embassy) 'sponsor' them, so they are allowed to work here. They're usually businesspeople, though.
    Has that always been the case?

I was fairly certian that the guy from my CELTA went over,and he definitely didn't have a degree; and he wasn'a business man.

• Advertisement

Has that always been the case?

I was fairly certian that the guy from my CELTA went over,and he definitely didn't have a degree; and he wasn'a business man.

Pulling your leg, maybe, or stayed here illegally or for a short-term on a holiday visa, maybe. To get the proper work visa and 'expert certificate', you need a degree.

Having a CELTA means you'll be able to demand/request higher wages when you are looking for jobs, or doing private tuition part time. If you do a private class without a CELTA (just a degree and maybe some teaching experience) you can get about Y150-180 per hour. With a CELTA/DELTA/M.TESOL etc., you can get almost, if not more than, double that.

Plus, doing private classes or 'helping' people practice their English is a good way to get laid, too. Don't need anything but the obvious for that (well, maybe that degree we were talking about, to get into the country) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Galwayj

I accepted the job on the island where the airport is as i got good reviews from the teachers there . Waiting on the visa to be sent to me from the Dublin embassy , the recruiter seems to be stressing that i need it tomorrow as the school wants be there for the weekend . doesnt seem like that will happen but im looking forward to heading over . nerves are surely kicking in ha

Galwayj wrote: »
    ...the school wants (me to) be there for the weekend...

I had this happen to me when I first went to Korea. Turns out they needed me there ASAP because my predecessor had handed in his notice to leave abruptly. Which is what I did 6 months later, because it was a kip.

But I'm sure you'll be fine, mate.

If Korea doesn't work out, come to China. Much more craic here.

I had this happen to me when I first went to Korea. Turns out they needed me there ASAP because my predecessor had handed in his notice to leave abruptly. Which is what I did 6 months later, because it was a kip.

But I'm sure you'll be fine, mate.

If Korea doesn't work out, come to China. Much more craic here.

Is china good craic, ya?

Is china good craic, ya?

Stepping outside your door in China is like an adventure most of the time. Most unpredictable place I've ever been. Shanghai, the current most highly-populated city in the world, is my home. Lunacy here.

Korea was a little too... staid... for my liking. I mean, it's all very civilised and nice and clean and everything works, but.... just Yawn! And the food is boring; everything's spicy and there's pork in everything. Nice sometimes, but after a while... :rolleyes:

Stepping outside your door in China is like an adventure most of the time. Most unpredictable place I've ever been. Shanghai, the current most highly-populated city in the world, is my home. Lunacy here.

Korea was a little too... staid... for my liking. I mean, it's all very civilised and nice and clean and everything works, but.... just Yawn! And the food is boring; everything's spicy and there's pork in everything. Nice sometimes, but after a while... :rolleyes:

I'd say it's a mental place alright. Does it get overwhelming at all?

how do the working conditions and salary/savings compare?

Plus, doing private classes or 'helping' people practice their English is a good way to get laid, too.

Dude, show some class. :/;)

Also worth mentioning to people new to this, anyone living in Korea is prohibited from taking on private classes or extra sources of income. Your main job must be your only source of income. This is to avoid an 'under the table' economy. So if you want to do this best head to Japan or China, where it is still legal to do this, you just have to make sure you declare all income when the time comes.

I'd say it's a mental place alright. Does it get overwhelming at all?

how do the working conditions and salary/savings compare?

Wages will always be a bone of contention between these two places. There's no doubt that for entry- and mid-level jobs, you'll always get more in Korea. Especially in Seoul; land a nice job there and you'll be sending home a fair swodge of cash each month.

I managed to land a good job in Shanghai, though, after being here for a little bit. Working in a university now.

Shanghai doesn't get overwhelming, just more obscure and interesting. The sheer amount of people is crazy, and there is a push-and-shove type mentality here, as with most of China, but when you accept this and push back, you realise that life goes on.

And, kinda like Korea, it's safe as houses most of the time, and the people are nice and friendly. Shops are open 24/7, you can drink on the street, buy 67% alcohol for pennies, eat a massive array of food, go clubbing/pubbing, to art galleries, go-karting (complete with a drinking session at the track beforehand), cinema, video-gaming, playing soccer etc. etc. etc.. The list goes on. You can pretty much do anything you did back home over here, after you find out where it's going on.

Andy!! wrote: »

Just making people aware that there's more than one way to get paid ;)

Yeah, they were pretty adamant about that "no part-time work" thing in Korea. But a lot of people I knew still did it. Go to any reasonably-sized cafe, or get on a local internet page, and it was easy to find a student. Rates were usually decent, too.

• Advertisement

Andy!! wrote: »

Also worth mentioning to people new to this, anyone living in Korea is prohibited from taking on private classes or extra sources of income. Your main job must be your only source of income. This is to avoid an 'under the table' economy. So if you want to do this best head to Japan or China, where it is still legal to do this, you just have to make sure you declare all income when the time comes.

I wouldn't necessarily say head to Japan or China to do it, but it is worth being aware that it is illegal. Loads of people still do it though.

Advertisement