Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News Thread for all ES related

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,698 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Could we please get some clarity on this in the Politics forum, if there are any Gardai members present?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055746217

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,646 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Overheal wrote: »
    Could we please get some clarity on this in the Politics forum, if there are any Gardai members present?

Thanks.

You should accept foreign's post as clarity. He is a Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Overheal wrote: »

Thanks.

....and my accountant in the Cayman Islands tells me there's nothing to stop Gardai issuing a summons instead.

Ye young fellas. It's all about the quick fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

wrote:
    One man is still in Garda custody in Co Leitrim after a shootout between dissident republicans and police in the North on Saturday night.

The 27-year-old was arrested in Rossinver yesterday afternoon.

Another four men, aged in their twenties and early thirties, are being questioned by the PSNI.

It is understood the attack in the village of Garrison in County Fermanagh was an attempt to kill a local police officer.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Loaded gun taken from man outside jail

A man has been arrested after he arrived at St Patrick's Institution this morning carrying a loaded gun.

The 37-year-old man was driving a waste disposal truck to the juvenile jail, which is in the Mountjoy Prison complex.

When the driver was asked at the security checkpoint if he had anything on him that he should not have, he showed them a loaded Walther semi-automatic pistol and two cartridges with 14 rounds of ammunition.
    Advertisement

The handgun was taken from the man by prison officers.
    Gardaí from nearby Mountjoy Garda Station were called in and the man was arrested.
    Detectives are now trying to establish where he got the gun, how long he had it and why.
    While the man may have had a licence for the weapon in his home country, Romania, he did not have it licenced in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

I have to admit, the heading made me giggle in a non feminine way....

A professor in criminal law has told a conference in Limerick that An Garda Siochána remains one of the most secretive police forces in the world.
    Professor Dermot Walsh says that while gardaí convey an image in public of openness and transparency, there may not be as much substance to that as there appears.
    He told the conference on Police Governance and Accountability in the University of Limerick that gardaí do not publish documents and policies that it should publish as a publicly accountable body.
    He said the Garda Code, which informs individual gardaí on how to do the job, is a confidential book and there should be no reason for this.
    He also criticised the force for not publishing its policies in relation to operational policing, the policies which direct how gardaí police the country.
    He asked is there any policy in relation to how gardaí use their discretion in different circumstances.
    If there is not a policy governing discretion, he said, that was a matter of deep concern because different gardaí would exercise their discretion in different ways leading to inconsistencies in how the law applies.
    A situation could arise that one garda might decide to prosecute one individual for one offence, whereas another might not prosecute another for the same offence and that is unfair.
    Professor Dermot Walsh is the Director of the Centre for Criminal Justice at Limerick University.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1203/gardai.html

Interesting times ahead...
    wrote:
    Garda Association to ballot members on strike action
    on 07/12/2009 11:15:32

The Garda Representative Association is to ballot its members for industrial action.

The group, which represents over 11,000 rank-and-file gardaí across the country, is holding a press conference this morning to outline its plans.

Gardaí are barred by law from striking, so this action will put them in direct conflict with the Department of Justice.

Up until now, the GRA has insisted it would not partake in industrial action like they did when the "blue flu" hit in 1998.

Meanwhile, the public services committee of the Congress of Trade Unions will meet later.

It follows the collapse in negotiations with the Government on how to cut €1.3bn from the public sector pay bill.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/officer-hurt-trying-to-stop-robbery-1966764.html

Every now and again the only reply is scum.....

My Best to the Garda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

foreign wrote: »
    Traffic corp will still do their own duties including speed checks.

These mobile cameras will only be positive if they are actually used in accident black spots on not on motorways / dual carraige ways at 9am on sunday mornings.

If they are seen regularly in accident black spots people will accept them, if not then they will be seen as revenue generators for the government.

Strange that the contract was finally signed during an economic crisis or is that just conincidence?

These are used here, IMO they are cash cows.

Private staff turn up at a station and collect a car here its a Holden Commodore Wagon or something like a Ford Focus, Nissan x-trail.

They are not informed of the car they will get or where they are due to go till that day.

They sit by the side of the road and basically snap away like a stationary Speed camera. They do not involve themselves in chases or discussion with mototrists. Some get attacked when a speeder realises here was flashed, stops and approachs the camera car.

They submit their catch at the end of the shift and the affected Reg's get tickets.

They are just a private gatso Van. But smaller.

maglite wrote: »
    http://www.herald.ie/breaking-news/national-news/officer-hurt-trying-to-stop-robbery-1966764.html

Every now and again the only reply is scum.....

My Best to the Garda

1012_garda_indo_435011t.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Words can not express how much that sickens me, hope that "person" is dealt with properly and the judge takes that picture into account at sentencing.

Hope there's a doctor out there that can repair that.

And we're not allowed to go on strike.

We can't even pickit.

deadwood wrote: »
    pickit.

Pun?

donvito99 wrote: »
    Pun?
    You're branch material, don!

deadwood wrote: »
    You're branch material, don!

I do my best...

Reminds me of that thread ages ago, in which that PC was impaled on a branch.

Gardaí injured in Donegal road crash

Two gardaí are in hospital after a road crash in Co Donegal early this morning.

The crash happened occurred at Lisfannon on the road from Letterkenny to Bridgend at 1.30am.

The garda driving the car is in a serious condition at Letterkenny General Hospital, while the other's injuries are not life threatening.

The driver of the other car has been taken to the same hospital.

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy said: 'These two gardaí were injured while out in service of the community. I hope that both of them make a full recovery.'

The Garda Ombudsman Commission has been contacted and will investigate the incident in line with normal procedures.

Gardaí have appealed for witnesses to the collision to contact Buncrana Garda Station on 074-9320540.

Link

RTE only deamed this important enough to include this in the previous story.
    Elsewhere, a garda received minor injuries after shots were fired in Dublin early this morning.

The incident happened on Greenfort Close in Clondalkin at 1.15am.

Three gardaí were investigating reports of damage to a house in the area when shots were fired in the direction of a nearby house.

One of the bullets went through the front door and hit the garda, causing him minor injuries.

Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy has issued a statement condemning the incident.

He said: 'I want to condemn this deplorable attack, which put the lives of gardaí and members of the public at risk.

'I have directed that the local Gardaí in Ronanstown, who are investigating the incident, receive whatever assistance and support they require from national units in order to bring those responsible to justice.'

Gardaí in Ronanstown can be contacted on 01- 6667700.

foreign wrote: »
    RTE only deamed this important enough to include this in the previous story.

I agree.

The problem with RTE is that if Mrs Miggins from D4 had broken a fingernail while attempting to open her christmas card, then the shooting of a member of AGS would never had made the news...

Should have started a thread tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Does anyone know what happened to this guy in Cork? Someone has actually set up a Facebook page to "Free the Fountain 1" FoundHere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

got 90 days in cork prison... well deserved too. he was up there for a good 40 mins.

• Advertisement

da__flash wrote: »
    got 90 days in cork prison... well deserved too. he was up there for a good 40 mins.

Hopefully he was charged for the callout of the FB as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭da__flash

ya he got charged for that aswell and they really went to town on him.. which was well deserved.:D

And allthe crowd can come up with is "ole, ole" and "hero". This country has gone to the dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

The Outpatients Department at St James's Hospital in Dublin was evacuated earlier today after a suspect package was discovered.
    A man was helping gardaí at Kilmainham Garda Station with their inquiries. A box and some wires were found. The evacuation began at about 12pm following a call to the hospital. Services in the Department are now returning to normal
    Source

Someone doesn't like the 'take a number and wait' system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Two members of DFB are being treated in hospital following a fire at the Guinness Brewery.

11 units of Dublin Fire Brigade and three aerial fire fighting vehicles attended the scene at St James's Gate this afternoon.
    The two firefighters are stable condition at St James's Hospital. It is understood that they may have come into contact with ammonia.

The fire broke out in a storage building for empty containers at the lower end of the brewery near the Victoria Quay entrance at 12.10pm.
    Repairs were being carried out on the roof of the building, which was partly made of felt.
    The area in question was not in regular use and was successfully evacuated. It is believed significant damage was caused to the building.
    In a statement, Diageo said production continued elsewhere on the site throughout the incident.
    Services on the Luas Red line between Blackhorse and Smithfield are now running as normal following earlier disruption.
    Gardaí and Diageo have both launched investigations into the cause of the blaze.
    Source

0002dc69-380.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭lehanemore

wrote:
    A police officer was seriously injured when a bomb exploded under his car in the North today. A police officer was seriously injured when a bomb exploded under his car in the North today.

He had just driven off on his way along Milltown Road in Randalstown, Co Antrim, when the device went off.

Police said the officer was in a serious condition in Antrim Area Hospital.

Army bomb disposal experts were called to the scene.

The attack happened just miles from Antrim town, where last March Sappers Mark Quinsey, 23, and Patrick Azimkar, 21, were shot dead by the Real IRA at the gates of Massereene Army barracks.

Assembly member for the area and Alliance party leader David Ford said he was outraged at the attack.

"The people behind this bomb have no policy and strategy except to cause death and disruption," he said.

"It is absolutely despicable that someone who works to protect the public has been subject to such a sickening attack on his life.

"I am outraged that a very small number of people still believe that using violence will achieve anything. They are seeking to drag us backwards into the dark days of the troubles.

"The community will need to stand united, just as the community stood united following the murders (of two British soldiers) nearby at Massereene barracks last year. I am confident that the community will do so.

"I would urge anybody who has any information about this attack to contact the police. These people must be stopped to allow this country to continue to live in peace."

Democratic Unionist MP for South Antrim William McCrea said he understood that the injured officer was a Catholic.

"I earnestly pray he will be restored to health and strength," he said.

The chairman of the Northern Ireland Policing Board, Barry Gilligan, condemned those responsible.

"I understand that the officer has been taken to hospital and our thoughts are first and foremost with him and his family," he said.

"This was an attempt to murder and those behind this attack cannot be allowed to succeed in bringing any further terror to our community.

"I would urge anyone with information on this incident to pass it to the police."

Northern Ireland Security Minister Paul Goggins condemned the bombing.

"This vile attack will sicken people across Northern Ireland," he said.

"I applaud the work the PSNI are doing to make our towns and cities safer. That work is in stark contrast to those who tried to murder this officer.

"Those who planted this device are to be condemned and anyone with information should bring it to the PSNI so that those responsible can be brought before the courts."

Sinn Féin's Mitchel McLaughlin said the attack was reprehensible.

"First of all, I wish to extend my hope for a full and speedy recovery to this young PSNI officer and his family," he said.

"I unambiguously condemn those responsible for placing this device on the officer's car and call on them to desist from this activity."

Ulster Unionist MLA Danny Kinahan said: "Unfortunately, we are here again - standing at the scene of a murder attempt on a member of the PSNI. A man has been seriously injured and the community traumatised by the proximity of this attack.

"It is disgusting that, once again, we are witness to an attack on an off-duty officer.

"Each and every time an incident of this nature occurs, we are taken back to the dark days of the past.

"However, while those who carried out this despicable act are intent on undermining the stability of Northern Ireland, majority will clearly indicates that it is they, and not the police, who are unwanted within this society."

SDLP South Antrim Assembly member Thomas Burns added to the voices of condemnation.

"The scene of this attack is not all that far from Massereene Barracks.

"At the time of last year's attacks, all the people of the North made their views absolutely clear. Across all parties and shadows of opinion, they condemned them utterly and called on the armed dissident groups to stop their murderous activities.

"We want no more murders, no more shootings, no more bombs."

Source

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery & apprehension of the culprits responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Source

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery & apprehension of the culprits responsible.

+ 1.

Sickening Faceless Cowards & Thugs.

My Thoughts are with my police colleague in the PSNI and his family and loved ones tonite. May he make a speedy and full recovery.

Advertisement