Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rawn wrote: »
    i somehow caught the wire between the bowl and the bottom part, when it heated up it melted through the wire and tripped the trip switch. :(
    that would probably be easy enough to fix. If you know anybody into that sort of thing you could give it to them.

As they are so cheap to buy new it would likely not be worth going to a repair place, but shame to throw it away if someone could fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Is the "Instant pot" not advertised on that home shopping channel type programme thing thats on early morning on RTE? Maybe the lack of sleep because of newborn has me confused?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm sold! Amazon seems to be sold out with no PO date, do you mind me asking how much you paid for it? There's a few on ebay but they're coming from America, would love to compare the prices

£70 iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

Slow cooker vegetable lasagne
    1 tbsp rapeseed oil
    2 onions, sliced
    2 large garlic cloves, chopped
    2 large courgettes, diced (400g)
    1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and roughly sliced
    1 large aubergine, sliced across length or width for maximum surface area
    400g can chopped tomatoes
    2 tbsp tomato purée
    2 tsp vegetable bouillon
    15g fresh basil, chopped plus a few leaves
    6 wholewheat lasagne sheets (105g)
    125g vegetarian buffalo mozzarella, chopped

1. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the onions and garlic for 5 mins, stirring frequently until softened. Tip in the courgettes, peppers and tomatoes with the tomato purée, bouillon and chopped basil. Stir well, cover and cook for 5 mins. Don't be tempted to add more liquid as plenty of moisture will come from the veg once they start cooking.

2. Lay half the slices of aubergine in the base of the slow cooker and top with 2 sheets of lasagne. Add a third of the ratatouille mixture, then the remaining aubergine slices, 2 more lasagne sheets, then the remaining veg mix. Cover and cook on High for 2½ - 3 hours until the pasta and vegetables are tender. Turn off the machine.

3. Scatter the mozzarella over the vegetables then cover and leave for 10 mins to settle and melt the cheese, Scatter with basil and serve with a handful of rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Amazon seems to be sold out with no PO date

They're expected back in stock late Feb/early March. I think they are usually around £100, but go down in price for Black Friday/Amazon Prime Day etc. £70 is the lowest they've ever been for Black Friday 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Glebee wrote: »
    Have this in the pot at the moment.
    It was on the Today Show on RTE on 25th Jan. and looked lovely.
    Whats the bets the kidds will turn there noses up at it.:):)

KAREN COAKLEY'S SLOW COOKED SAUSAGE AND BEAN CHILLI.

Slow Cooked Sausage and Bean Chilli Recipe

450g good quality butchers sausages,
    1 onion, chopped
    ½ red, green and yellow pepper each half deseeded and chopped
    1 chopped red chilli, seeds removed (optional)
    4 cloves of garlic, crushed
    3 can of beans, rinsed and drained, I use kidney beans, butter beans and cannellini beans
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    2-tbsp of good quality shop bought fajita mix or homemade as below
    Juice of 1 lime
    1 handful of coriander, chopped
    Salt and pepper
    Pinch of sugar
    Sunflower oil
    For a Homemade Fajita Mix
    2-3 tsp ground Chilli Powder
    2 tsp hot smoked paprika
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic granules
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp oregano
    ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tsp demerara sugar
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground black pepper

1) Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the sausages to brown all over, remove and cut into bitesize chunks.
    2) Place all the ingredients into a Slow Cooker, fill the tomato can 1/3rd with water and add the water to the ingredients.
    3) Cook on high for 3 hrs, turn to low for another 2 hr. I usually remove the lid for the last half hour of cooking and turn it up to high to reduce the liquid and to get a nice thick consistency on the sauce.
    Serving suggestions:
    In a lunchtime wrap with lettuce, cheddar, sour cream and salsa.
    In a Saturday night Fake Away ‘Chill Bowl’ on top of homemade Oven Fries topped with Jalapenos, melted cheese, sour cream and coriander.
    Or a healthy mid-week supper with Couscous and Fat Free Fromage Frais.

Hey, just letting you know that I prepared this last night and just came home to the house smelling lovely and a slow cooker that contained this bowl of hearty goodness.

It was delicious. Even the kids loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,613 ✭✭✭Glebee

Hey, just letting you know that I prepared this last night and just came home to the house smelling lovely and a slow cooker that contained this bowl of hearty goodness.

Same here, kids liked it after but I thought it was more than nice..

Glebee wrote: »
    Same here, kids liked it after but I thought it was more than nice..

Oh for sure it was better than nice, I used a mixture of Aldis stout and leek sausages (full pack) and some of my local butchers own recipe sausages.

The Aldi ones are the real prominent ones in the photo - and tbh next time I make it (and their will be a next time) ill prob go in with 2 x packs of the Aldi ones. They were dam good
    Went with the chilli beans flavour very well together

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sausages and slow cookers were made for each other! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

What did you have with it out of interest?

• Advertisement

Oh for sure it was better than nice, I used a mixture of Aldis stout and leek sausages (full pack) and some of my local butchers own recipe sausages.

The Aldi ones are the real prominent ones in the photo - and tbh next time I make it (and their will be a next time) ill prob go in with 2 x packs of the Aldi ones. They were dam good
    Went with the chilli beans flavour very well together

My mouth is watering......

km79 wrote: »

I had couscous with mine, very fancy.....:D:D

Nothing, it didn't really need it.

The young lad had some bread with his - no shock there cos he'd eat a bread sandwich:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Nothing, it didn't really need it.

The young lad had some bread with his - no shock there cos he'd eat a bread sandwich:D

A stew like that deserves some fresh, crusty bread rolls *drool*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Was making bread today and, as is normal in the winter during the day, there’s nowhere warm in this house to help with rising/proving. Pulled out the slow cooker and turned it to ‘Warm’. Perfect temperature for prepping dough! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

That is brilliant, why did I never think of that?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭SteM

There's a 200 recipe book on sale on Amazon today for 99p. It's a Kindle edition so it'll save on shelf space, might be of some use to someone.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004EEODGK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_aFbIAbZ7YDRPY

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Frying them gives them more color and depth of flavour. I very rarely do that, i usually chuck everything in raw.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

Amyone had any success with desserts made in the slow cooker?
    Never did a full dessert in my mine but I do put my Apples in it for the likes of apple crumble...
    Drop of water , cinnamon and brown sugar and let them soften over a couple of hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hi, just found this thread.....I am after getting a gift of one of theses...

https://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/Pdf/IB48728.pdf

I had always thought about buying a slow cooker but due to work schedule it never made sense. Now both of us are moving to 9-5 and it makes perfect sense.

Two questions if ok
    Is the one above any good?
    Any recommended one to buy if not?

I had that exact one for 3 years with no issues whatsoever. It supposedly was possible to use the inner pot on the hob to brown meat but I used it once and it wasn't great. Plus, it heats up like nobody's business and burns the handsoff you. much better to brown meat in a regular frying pan I found.

Only got rid of it because I bought an Instantpot, coincidentally, seeing as I just started a bargain thread having seen one on sale.

I had that exact one for 3 years with no issues whatsoever. It supposedly was possible to use the inner pot on the hob to brown meat but I used it once and it wasn't great. Plus, it heats up like nobody's business and burns the handsoff you. much better to brown meat in a regular frying pan I found. Only got rid of it because I bought an Instantpot, coincidentally, seeing as I just started a bargain thread having seen one on sale.

Thanks for feedback, I was concerned it was a good one. I tried a stew but wasn't great...probably because I am doing wrong

I wouldn't bother using the inner pot to brown meat, plenty of pans to do that job:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Thanks for feedback, I was concerned it was a good one. I tried a stew but wasn't great...probably because I am doing wrong

I wouldn't bother using the inner pot to brown meat, plenty of pans to do that job:p

The most common mistake people make is to use too much liquid. You need to halve the amount given in recipes for the oven or hob.

The most common mistake people make is to use too much liquid. You need to halve the amount given in recipes for the oven or hob.

My mate called it a broth and not a stew :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If you do a search of this thread you'll find recipes and lots of tips :)

If you do a search of this thread you'll find recipes and lots of tips :)

I have the recipes....my wife wants to try a whole chicken...I would rather baby steps first....but she will win in the end :P:P:P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I have the recipes....my wife wants to try a whole chicken...I would rather baby steps first....but she will win in the end :P:P:P
    Would ya have to Brown the Chicken in the Oven at the End .....To get that oven cooked Chicken ambience / taste etc .

Advertisement