Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow Cooker recipes

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

http://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/sunday-slow-cooker-thai-curry-ground-beef

It's a healthyish red Thai beef curry

Tomorrow night's dinner. Putting it together now. I used a carton of passata instead of the canned tomato sauce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

athtrasna wrote: »
    http://www.slenderkitchen.com/recipe/sunday-slow-cooker-thai-curry-ground-beef

It's a healthyish red Thai beef curry

Tomorrow night's dinner. Putting it together now. I used a carton of passata instead of the canned tomato sauce

Tell us how it turns out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Tell us how it turns out!

I think I overdid the lime juice, I just squeezed it in but even so it's OK

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

Tried out this recipe today and have to say they turned out great. Very simple to do, left on low for 8 hrs and meat just fell off. The sauce starts off with sweet taste followed by a nice kick of spicy BBQ, beautiful :D.
    I've some sauce left over that I might marinade chicken thighs or chops with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I made a Moroccan beef stew in the slow cooker for the first time today and it was probably the nicest stew I've ever made. Here's the recipe:

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 large onion, thickly sliced
    2 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
    500g of stewing beef (I used shin), cut into bite-size pieces
    1 tbsp ras el hanout or other Moroccan spice blend (recipe for spice mix HERE)
    2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tbsp clear honey
    A handful of dried dates, roughly chopped
    250ml beef stock - I used a red Oxo cube
    A tin of chopped tomatoes
    A squirt of tomato purée
    1 tin chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 tbsp of flour

Heat the oil in a large pan and add the onion and carrot. Cook for 5 minutes to soften, then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. In a bowl, toss the beef in the ras el hanout and transfer to the pan along with any remaining spices. Cook for a few minutes, turning the beef to brown it all over.
    Return the vegetables to the pan and add the garlic. Stir for a minute, then add the flour and stir that in. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Transfer to the slow cooker and cook for 4-5 hours on high or 8-10 hours on low.

I'll be making this tomorrow. I'm out of dates, though. Do you think raisins would do, or just leave it out all together?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭mjp

Have eye of round roast beef piece here and hoping to throw it in slow cooker whilst at work tomorrow. Anyone any recommendations what to cook it with or what herbs/marinade to put on it. Would such a cut be better roasted in oven?

mjp wrote: »
    Have eye of round roast beef piece here and hoping to throw it in slow cooker whilst at work tomorrow. Anyone any recommendations what to cook it with or what herbs/marinade to put on it. Would such a cut be better roasted in oven?

THIS PULLED BRAISED BEEF!
    I've made it a few times and so yum with brioche buns and homemade slaw. Mmmm mmmmm mmmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

mjp wrote: »

I did this last week and instead of using the leftover juices for gravy I threw in some diced beef and made a gorgeous stew. Really intense flavour. Will definitely be doing this again. Two dinners very easily made.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I'll be making this tomorrow. I'm out of dates, though. Do you think raisins would do, or just leave it out all together?

The original recipe I based it on used prunes but I had none so I substituted dates. It needs something fruity in it so I'd say raisins or sultanas would do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Sorry for going off topic, but I think my slow cooker is on the way out. The bowl as a bit of discolouration...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

As a recent recipient of a slow cooker I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to this thread.

FWIW my first impressions: Stews come out a bit watery (I'm used to cooking them down on the hob over a few hours, they don't seem to thicken the same way in the slowcooker, I've heard adding cornflour at the end is the way to go?).

My first simple contribution is for a seriously good bolognaise:
    500g lean beef mine
    1 Onion
    2 Carrots
    2 Sticks of celery
    1 Garlic Clove
    Pinch of chinese 5 spice (or star anise if you have it)
    Tin of tomatoes
    About half a mug of beef stock

- Blend the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a food processor. You could finely chop them, but I prefer the processor.
    - Fry / brown the mince
    - Once the mince is done, add the blended veg.
    - When the veg starts to cook up with the meat, blend the tin of tomatoes and add them to the cooker along with the stock
    - Put in a pinch of chinese 5 spice, then sit back and let her cook away (4 hrs high / 8 low, or whatever you fancy)

This is so simple to make it's not even funny, but honestly one of the best bolognaise / ragu I've ever tried. The smallest pinch of chinese 5 spice really changes it. I've seen star anise recommended, but haven't used it so can't comment. Can be had as a spaghetti bolognaise, or will serve perfetly as the meat base in a lasagna.

Edit:You'd be best off scaling everything up by two, as (a) the quantity I listed was quite shallow in the pot, and (b) it freezes really well, so no need to panic if you have leftovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Second addition, a red lentil curry, from here.

This is a bit of a weird one, in that it really didn't smell nice at all during the coking, but once it was finished, was once of the nicest curries I've ever rustled up. Different to what I'm used to in that it's tomato based, but seriously good...

2 cups regular brown lentils (I used maasor lentils this time, but you can mix it up with green, red, etc.,)
    1 onions, diced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    Half tablespoon minced ginger
    2 tablespoons butter (optional)
    One small jar red curry paste
    Half tablespoon garam masala
    Half teaspoon turmeric
    1 teaspoon sugar
    a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
    2 tubes of tomato puree
    Half teaspoon salt plus more to taste
    Dessicated, natural yogurt and corriander to garnish
    rice for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
    - Rinse the lentils and place them in the slow cooker. Add the diced onions, garlic, ginger, butter, curry paste, garam masala, turmeric, sugar, and cayenne. Stir to combine.

- Pour the tomato puree over the lentils. Add about a mug, or the equivalent of a standard 400g tin of water to the cooker. Stir to make sure that the lentils are covered with liquid. Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.

- Check once or twice during cooking to add more water or tomato puree if the lentils are soaking up all the liquid. The amount of water or tomato puree you add depends on how soupy your want your lentils to be. For me, two mugs of water was perfect. Taste and season with salt. Lentils will be soft when they are done cooking.

- When done, serve in a bowl with a dollop of yogurt, chopped corriander and sprinkle over with coconut.

Serve with rice or whip up some home made naan if you fancy it (also very easy!)

As a recent recipient of a slow cooker I'm looking forward to getting stuck in to this thread.

FWIW my first impressions: Stews come out a bit watery (I'm used to cooking them down on the hob over a few hours, they don't seem to thicken the same way in the slowcooker, I've heard adding cornflour at the end is the way to go?).

My first simple contribution is for a seriously good bolognaise:
    500g lean beef mine
    1 Onion
    2 Carrots
    2 Sticks of celery
    1 Garlic Clove
    Pinch of chinese 5 spice (or star anise if you have it)
    Tin of tomatoes
    About half a mug of beef stock

- Blend the onion, carrots, celery and garlic in a food processor. You could finely chop them, but I prefer the processor.
    - Fry / brown the mince
    - Once the mince is done, add the blended veg.
    - When the veg starts to cook up with the meat, blend the tin of tomatoes and add them to the cooker along with the stock
    - Put in a pinch of chinese 5 spice, then sit back and let her cook away (4 hrs high / 8 low, or whatever you fancy)

This is so simple to make it's not even funny, but honestly one of the best bolognaise / ragu I've ever tried. The smallest pinch of chinese 5 spice really changes it. I've seen star anise recommended, but haven't used it so can't comment. Can be had as a spaghetti bolognaise, or will serve perfetly as the meat base in a lasagna.

Watery Soup can be remedied by using less water at the start, removing lid with the last 30 minutes and turning it to high and/or add cornflour...

Made a Lentil Curry with Goan Masala Paste

Red Lentils 160g
    Olive Oil x 1/2 TBSP
    Garlic x4cloves
    Onion 160g
    Tinned Tomatoes x1
    Goan Masala x half a jar
    Water x400mls

Topped with diced courgette

It was nice, not my best lentil dinner, a tad on the bland side at times

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sorry for going off topic, but I think my slow cooker is on the way out. The bowl as a bit of discolouration...

Your picture isn't showing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Made a very good spag bol in the Slow Cooker yesterday:

1kg lamb mince
    Diced carrots & celery
    Carton of passata (Aldi)
    Squeeze of tomato puree
    Punnet of cherry tomatoes
    A few cloves of garlic - pressed
    1 veg stock cube (Kallo) crumbled up
    A dash of red wine

Add the passata, red wine, cherry tomatoes, puree & stock cube to the slow cooker
    Brown the mince in batches on a frying pan, tipping into the slow cooker as you go
    Finally, fry the chopped carrots, celery and garlic for a minute and tip into the slow cooker
    Add some mixed herbs if they're handy

I had this cooking from 8:30am until 5pm and it was just divine.

Loire.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Tablespoon of cornflour mixed with a drop of water will thicken your stews/curries , add near the end,last 20/30 mins,or use mash to thicken stew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭benny79

Hi Peeps,

Just a quick question? I leave for work at 7am and don't get back till between 6.15/6.30pm (11 1/2hrs) Is this to long for a slow cooker?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

benny79 wrote: »
    Hi Peeps,

Just a quick question? I leave for work at 7am and don't get back till between 6.15/6.30pm (11 1/2hrs) Is this to long for a slow cooker?

No. I have often done a Thai curry or a housekeepers beef cut in that long.

If you find it's too long for some recipes, you could use a plug-in timer in your socket and set it to switch off earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

If you find it's too long for some recipes, you could use a plug-in timer in your socket and set it to switch off earlier.

I was gonna suggest the same but would do the opposite and set it to start a few hours after you leave so its just ready when you get home.
    I find cooking a stew for 9 hours instead of 8 doesnt make a huge difference as the cooking temps are so low. 11/12 hours might be a bit much for a stew tho so a plug in timer would be ideal.

• Advertisement

Dinner for tomorrow;

Chicken Thighs 450g(4 Big Thighs)

Olive Oil 1/2 Tbsp
    Coconut Cream 100g

Water 200mls
    Chicken Stock Cube x1
    Sugar 1/2 Tbsp

Added in the last 30 minutes:

Steamed Veg(B.Corn, Mangetout & Bamboo Shoots)
    Fish Sauce 1/2 Tbsp

Gonna cook it for 6 hours low followed by 30 minutes on high...

Its my first attempt, and hope the liquid isn't too much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

Dinner for tomorrow;

Chicken Thighs 450g(4 Big Thighs)

Olive Oil 1/2 Tbsp
    Coconut Cream 100g

Water 200mls
    Chicken Stock Cube x1
    Sugar 1/2 Tbsp

Added in the last 30 minutes:

Steamed Veg(B.Corn, Mangetout & Bamboo Shoots)
    Fish Sauce 1/2 Tbsp

Gonna cook it for 6 hours low followed by 30 minutes on high...

Its my first attempt, and hope the liquid isn't too much

I think you're missing the red curry paste there!!

I think you're missing the red curry paste there!!

Ha ha its in there, 50g of it :D

I used to live in Thailand and love red curry. One of the restaurants close to my apartment made a great red curry with duck which works really well. Might be worth a try at some stage. This looks like it could be a winner - http://www.readersdigest.com.au/recipes/slow-cooker-red-duck-curry.asp

The original recipe I based it on used prunes but I had none so I substituted dates. It needs something fruity in it so I'd say raisins or sultanas would do.

Oh lucky me I had prunes. Made it today. Mmmmm mmmmm Dizzy, this Morrocan beef stew sure was delicious. I thought it was going to be too sweet between the honey and prunes, but it was perfect! I thought i had cous cous or quinoa, but i didn't, so i had it with creamy mash. Thanks for the recipe!

I'm delighted you enjoyed it Mrs F :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭nicki11

I used to live in Thailand and love red curry. One of the restaurants close to my apartment made a great red curry with duck which works really well. Might be worth a try at some stage. This looks like it could be a winner - http://www.readersdigest.com.au/recipes/slow-cooker-red-duck-curry.asp

I'd recommend palm sugar over brown sugar and mae ploy curry paste also cherry tomatoes are good but they mightn't be the best when it comes to slow cooking :D

Garlic soy whole chicken, with shiitake mushroom. I'm still about half an hour to an hour overcooking this, despite the large size of the bird. If I fail to get a perfect slow cooker whole chicken the next time round, I might just give up and stick to legs and wings, and ditch the breasts.

wp_ss_20160207_0003_zpsqyaerxor.jpg

WP_20160207_007_zps0ge0z9e1.jpg

Anyone got a good recipe for slow cooker pot roast? I've a 2kg housekeepers cut which is nice and long (like a small loaf of bread) and I reckon it'll need a good few hours of slow cooking to get the most out if it.

• Advertisement

Giving Masaman Curry

Made the paste myself

Chicken Thighs x4(with bone still in)
    Coconut Cream
    Tinned Tomatoes
    Fish Sauce
    Soy Sauce
    lime Juice
    Bay Leaf
    Star Anise
    Chili
    Onion
    Garlic

Gonna cook it for 6 hours on low, and finish it off with 30 minutes high if needed

Advertisement