Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waxwings on O'Connell Street

Options
  • 17-01-2009 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody hear yesterday's Mooney show on RTE radio? Apparently there are up to 60 Waxwings hanging about in the trees on O'Connell Street - at the Parnell monument end of the street. These rare Scandinavian visitors are worth making the trip to see - I still remember my first and only encounter with a small party of them in the early 1970's in Bray - and I would be off to see them tomorrow if it wasn't for babysitting. Go now or regret at your leisure. :)

Attachment not found.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

At the beginning of the week the waxwings were congregating in the large tree in the Rotunda grounds (beside the Ambassador) at the top of O'Connell Street - up to 100 were seen. Every so often they would fly down to eat the berries on trees opposite the Royal Dublin Hotel in the central reservation of O'Connell Street. Pedestrians were walking right underneath them, completely oblivious to the flocks of 30-40 gaudy and noisy waxwings gorging on berries a few feet above them.

As the week progressed small groups of waxwings began to use the trees further down (opposite the Savoy) and eventually I saw them down past Abbey Street.

I took some pics of them - see here:
    http://wildlifesnaps.com/birds.php

T.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Tertials, the colours are so vibrant in your Waxwing photos, amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tertials

Thanks - I took them on Tuesday last, the only day when the light was decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Oh they look like amazing birds. Never seen them anywhere before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Brilliant photos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Saw them on thursday afternoon (15-20 birds) opposite the GPO. A great sight and what made it even more entertaining was the fact every time they landed to feed on berries they were being mobbed by a mistle thrush. Amazing to see in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Enjoy them while you can. Once the berry crop is exhausted they will move on to somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

Talking of Waxwings, are they a bird that comes to Ireland every winter even in small numbers? The last time i did some was in early 06 but this year seems to have brought a massive number of them around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭donalglackin

i was on o'connel street today but couldnt see them i wandered towards the garden of remebrance as well to see is they might be around but again no sight . just wondering if anyone did see them today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Yep, Six high up on the big tree outside the Rotunda at about 2pm. Waited half an hour before I saw any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

any photos of them in the street rather then close ups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

any photos of them in the street rather then close ups
    I'm sure if you ask the Garda surveillance deparetment nicely they may have some CCTV footage them on O Connell St. :D

You will loose focus quality of the birds if you try to get the archicture of Oconnell st in the picture.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but we sighted numerous waxwings in the trees surrounding Blanchardstown SC yesterday, so they are still about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I saw one of those in my garden (mount merrion area).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

And they're back again according to http://www.irishbirding.com with 21 sighted at Portballintrae, Co.Antrim on the 24th November; 1 sighted at Ranelagh on 26th November and another in Galway on the same date. Not quite an eruption of them yet but with a cold spell in Eastern Europe things are looking up for a repeat of winter 2008/09. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I sighted a few in Stepaside, Dublin yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

oh, no, it's a great idea to get this thread back. We had a flock visiting our Belfast garden in February. Amazing things. They must be back with the arctic wind. Snow here today. Some species of European Rowan with bright red berries was the lure in our garden.

I shall keep a look out today. Thanks for heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Posted this in the lapwing thread by mistake... going blind in my old age. Saw 19 in Ballycoolin yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

boneless wrote: »
    Posted this in the lapwing thread by mistake...

did the same with my question:o

so i'll ask it again...can waxwings be seen in the west > co clare ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Waxwings arrive in Ireland from northern Europe in late Autumn/Winter in search of berries (cotoneaster, rowan, elder etc) and seem to find sufficient to keep them mainly in Eastern counties. This year was a good year for Waxwing watchers as they were present in the country until late May and were back again in November. According to www.irishbirding.com a solitary individual was recorded at Ballyvaughan on the 17th Feb. last so maybe it will pay a return visit but I wouldn't hold my breath. :D

There's an interesting page on Waxwings here: http://www.wordwiz72.com/waxwing.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Strangely Waxwings are found mostly in Urban areas. It seems to be the abundance of berries on ornamental trees and shrubs which they prefer. As the greater concentration of Urban/Suburban environs are on the East coast, and it's their first landfall, they are usually found there. Some make their way West but not usually in any great numbers.

Advertisement